Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to me XC60 - what should I check

Views : 1931

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2019, 01:01   #1
Chrisaaaaa

Question New to me XC60 - what should I check

Just got it, nice to drive but a few oddities.

Got stitched up on on-call, was in the advert, discussed subscription with sales guy, but now I key in the VIN, nothing there, can I get them to retro fit it?

I had them add the missing android feature, now I connect my phone it is completely useless, I just get a half of the sensus screen basically black, with my phone say swipe up to unlock, nothing happens. Which might be related to the next question.

Driving home - apparently off road, it was clear they had neglected to update the maps, I tried updating and it just says too big to download. I imagine I can do it by USB but...

How do I tell if they did any software updates - any version numbers to check?

I suppose I cannot do the firmware with USB?

eg - the start/stop does not seem to do anything, I assumed it would turn off when you go into park?

What do other find with the wifi reception on the car, should it be terrible?. Sitting outside 5m from my router it could not see it, nor could it see any neighbours, my phone can see dozens sitting in the car. The car could connect when I got my phone to be an AP, so it works, just not very well.
Chrisaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 01:17   #2
Ringthane
VOC Member

VOC has to be set up by the dealer first. They put your details into the system and generate a four digit code, which you input to get it working.

Maps will sometimes update over the air, but it depends on the size of the update, as to whether you need to go the usb route. I’ve found it was just as quick to update the whole 40-odd GB via usb, as to update the UK over the air.

There is no version number associated with the firmware. If your dash shows “Ready”, bottom left of the Rev counter, you need updating. The latest software has a little A, in a circle instead.

My car picks up my router at 5 meters, but I’ve never tried it any further away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ringthane For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 01:23   #3
Chrisaaaaa

Thumbs up

Thanks Ringthane, will look for the "A".

Hopefully the 4 digit code is quick to generate, so I can pick it up when I pick up the other missing bits.

Forgot to mention, the car (plate 67, MY18) has the hotspot option which I thought was the only visible clue to it having VOC.
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 09:23   #4
Chrisaaaaa

Question

I have checked now for a small hatch for a sim card in the passenger wheel well, cannot see it, unless it is tucked up out of sight.

Does that mean no VOC?
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 09:40   #5
KurtWallander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisaaaaa View Post
Just got it, nice to drive but a few oddities.

Got stitched up on on-call, was in the advert, discussed subscription with sales guy, but now I key in the VIN, nothing there, can I get them to retro fit it?

I had them add the missing android feature, now I connect my phone it is completely useless, I just get a half of the sensus screen basically black, with my phone say swipe up to unlock, nothing happens. Which might be related to the next question.

Driving home - apparently off road, it was clear they had neglected to update the maps, I tried updating and it just says too big to download. I imagine I can do it by USB but...

How do I tell if they did any software updates - any version numbers to check?

I suppose I cannot do the firmware with USB?

eg - the start/stop does not seem to do anything, I assumed it would turn off when you go into park?

What do other find with the wifi reception on the car, should it be terrible?. Sitting outside 5m from my router it could not see it, nor could it see any neighbours, my phone can see dozens sitting in the car. The car could connect when I got my phone to be an AP, so it works, just not very well.
Mine's a 67 plate, MY18 V90 CC, bought nearly a year ago. No VOC on mine (not that bothered TBH) but the dealer was clear when I looked at the car that it was not fitted. I believe it can't be retrofitted as is somewhat more than a software upgrade. Not great if you've been told it does has it if it in fact does not.

Wifi - certainly my car (and I think all SPA vehicles?) will not connect to a home router (there is probably a way if you are an IT wizz, which I certainly am not). Without the VOC in-car SIM, I just bluetooth tether to my mobile when I am in the car which takes care of all the updates (I do have a chunky data allowance though). However, for big map updates, the USB option is fairly painless TBH. Firmware updates are dealer only - you can only do maps and Apps updates yourself.

Start/Stop has lots of entries here on the forum. Give it a while - there could be lots of reasons why it hasn't kicked in which are in the manual, but would suggest if after a few longish journeys, it is still not working, it could be a battery replacement issue so needs a trip back to the dealer.

Last edited by KurtWallander; Nov 8th, 2019 at 09:43.
KurtWallander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 20:01   #6
WhatNext?

I can connect to my Home WiFI and Phone Hotspot

No problem at all.

VOC hardware I believe is built in, you just need to buy and activate subscription
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 20:12   #7
St Evelyn
VOC Member

My V90 also connects to the home router (Apple Time Capsule).

If you've got VOC then there will be a small button with 'SOS' on it at the front of the headlining by the interior light buttons.

Stop-Start doesn't activate when you put the car in to Park, rather it cuts in when you're driving and come to a halt.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 21:31   #8
KNVXC90

Stop/Start does stop the engine when I put the car into Park.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 00:18   #9
Chrisaaaaa

Unhappy

Thanks all.

Has the current SW with the A rather than 'ready', start/stop has operated, but only in park so far.

No SOS button, no SIM carrier, so I guess no VOC. Shame I was looking forward to warming the car up while having breakfast, and avoiding my wife starting the car and coming inside leaving the car unlocked and running...

I have it getting internet via BT, surprised to see it cannot auto switch between wifi and BT, the performance (sensitivity) is pitiful, but as it cannot switch, or more properly co-exist, it is in chocolate teapot land.

Map update of just NW europe has taken a hour so far, only took a few mins to put the data on the stick, so it is some dreadful SW stack getting in the way. [Have to go some to be worse than the merc I traded in, map update on that was an overnight in the workshop job]

Android Auto is hopeless, I had visions of having the standard phone display mirrored up to the portrait screen, but what it does, well just once so far, is present a small letter box of the display, about 1/4 height of the screen with a squashed app. That is a real shame, if it worked full screen I could just ignored the built in stuff.

On the whole the infotainment system is a huge disappointment.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 08:16   #10
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisaaaaa View Post
Thanks all.

Has the current SW with the A rather than 'ready', start/stop has operated, but only in park so far.

No SOS button, no SIM carrier, so I guess no VOC. Shame I was looking forward to warming the car up while having breakfast, and avoiding my wife starting the car and coming inside leaving the car unlocked and running...

I have it getting internet via BT, surprised to see it cannot auto switch between wifi and BT, the performance (sensitivity) is pitiful, but as it cannot switch, or more properly co-exist, it is in chocolate teapot land.

Map update of just NW europe has taken a hour so far, only took a few mins to put the data on the stick, so it is some dreadful SW stack getting in the way. [Have to go some to be worse than the merc I traded in, map update on that was an overnight in the workshop job]

Android Auto is hopeless, I had visions of having the standard phone display mirrored up to the portrait screen, but what it does, well just once so far, is present a small letter box of the display, about 1/4 height of the screen with a squashed app. That is a real shame, if it worked full screen I could just ignored the built in stuff.

On the whole the infotainment system is a huge disappointment.

Well, because you don't do it right (and probably never read the owner manual) it doesn't mean the 'whole infotainment system is a huge disappointment'!!!

The android auto takes half of the screen and everything is absolutely perfect as it should!

The map data is recommended to be downloaded directly to the USB stick (but someone need to read the instructions). It takes roughly 40min to be uploaded on the car. I don't understand the people moaning about the FREE updates!

Hope when you become more familiar with everything to stop blaming the car, because you didn't have the knowledge in advance!?
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo s60 2001 For This Useful Post: