Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

97 s90 no transponder key

Views : 1978

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2019, 07:46   #1
Stalledvolvos90

Default 97 s90 no transponder key

Hey guys!
Bit of drama for me at the moment, a friend of mine while going through a tough time left his Volvo S90 at my place. He had to move state and decided to give me his car. Being behind on bills his landlord actually kept his Volvo key and possessions before he could give it to me.
It’s probably the nicest gift one could receive and I’m really happy to bring the car to it’s former glory and re do some of it’s paintwork. I decided after calling Volvo and them telling me to just cut a new key because the car does not have a transponder to take the barrel to a locksmith. However the car refuses to turn over and 100% has a immobiliser.
The cost of a new key almost defeats the purpose of my friends gift as he wanted me to restore it to its former glory and money could be spent elsewhere on the project.
I trust some people could help me on this forum as I’ve now developed a soft spot for the car and would really like to get it going. I imagine most bypass threads would be deleted for safety of everyone’s cars so I started a new thread that could be removed after I receive some help.
The year model is 97 if that helps some of you wizards determine the best course of action.
Stalledvolvos90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stalledvolvos90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 11:04   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

If things have been resolved with the landlord now is it possible simply to ask him to return the key? Is it legal where you are for a landlord to withold property from an ex-tenant under these circumstances? Surely if the landlord is keeping the key for no reason then that's theft and therefore a police matter. He's in effect stealing the car!

If your pal is still in debt to the landlord then I think I'd take some advice as to whether or not he can legitmately give his car to you, and you then become the legal owner. Is there any chance that the landlord has started legal proceedings and might have some prior claim over the car? Is there any finance outstanding for example? If so then maybe the finance company actually own the car. Sadly, if your pal has debt troubles with the landlord it's possible that he's got issues with other lenders too.

But helping out a friend who's in a fix with regard to finances and debt is admirable. However you need to be careful that by accepting the car you're not involving yourself in a wrangle as to who actually owns it.

Aside from the legal situation, a quick Google search here in the UK has turned up numerous auto-locksmiths who will come out to the car, supply and cut a new key and then re-programme the transponder. I'd guess that Sydney is similarly blessed with enterprising locksmiths! Last year a reputable car sales guy locally told me that many vehicles he buys have a missing key, and that he has a deal with a local auto-locksmith to supply and programme new ones for around £300 a time.

For what it's worth I'd say that the price of a new key all properly programmed and legitimately ready to go would be worth paying to end up with a decent RWD Volvo.

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Nov 9th, 2019 at 11:08.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 11:12   #3
Stalledvolvos90

Hey thanks for your reply, the situation with the key is the landlord has just locked the room, my friend actually took all the valuables before hand and had no plans on going back and to be honest, I don’t think he will go back. He has so many cars the Volvo was just not on his list of things to relocate. In Australia a lot of locksmiths won’t touch the Volvo and keep telling me it’s risky for them to program a key because any mistakes would render the care useless. Wether that’s true I’m not to sure. Obviously the situation is a little awkward for me so a work around would be awesome. I’m pretty sure there will be known claims against it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stalledvolvos90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 14:28   #4
TonyS9
Premier Member

I'm not sure on this car but the options with the 97 940 are potentially Volvo doing some reprogramming or there might be a procedure to open up the system to a new RFID chip, such as turning the ignition on several times in quick succession with the door open. That might need an existing key.

I would expect a 97 car to have a RFID chip immobiliser (al 940s do).

Worst case you could replace the fuel ECU and RFID module (located in RHD cars at the drivers A pillar on the floor and behind the light switch) with the keys provided aswell (you should be able to swap over the RFID chip). A used unit should be perfectly reliable. Or Chip the fuel ECU, losing the ECU immobiliser function.

Also try a coding/key replacement service, they might be able to hack it.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 21:10   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'm surprised there aren't any locksmiths who have a way of cutting a key and programming a transponder down under. Tonys suggestion of using a secondhand ECU, key, barrel and RFID chip should work though, might as well get the complete lock set from the donor car if you do that, kill two birds with one stone and just have one key then.

Even more surprised the local Volvo dealer can't supply a key cut to the VIN and programmed with the correct transponder code!

I approached my local dealer for a replacement key for my 760 (1988 so a bit older than yours) and while it doesn't need a transponder, it is a laser cut jobby but they said they could get a pattern one or a genuine Volvo one, cut to the original code.

Their "get out of jail free" card was i had to agree that if the key didn't work it was my tough luck as the locks may have been changed.

Perhaps try a different Volvo dealer or approach your mates ex-landlord and tell him he's got your car key - the landlord may not know it's your car, at least now. You could possibly argue the point it was yours all along and he has no beef with you about money but he's holding your property - bit of long shot but might just work!

Good luck with it, whichever way you do it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 01:53   #6
Stalledvolvos90

I think my best bet is actually approach the landlord.
I’d love to get this car going so it might be awkward asking for it but the pay off will be well worth it. At least now I have a key that unlocks the doors which is handy.
What happened at the Volvo dealership, after checking my vin they told me my car just needs a normal key. I think I just didn’t get a knowledgeable staff member that day but it was enough to turn me off getting parts or spending money with them.
I did think a bypass would be a simple wire job but it’s a bit more complicated than I originally thought my best bet is to hold out for the proper key. I will call more locksmiths if I’m unsuccessful, the ones I have spoken to so far don’t really want the job.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 08:20   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Have a look at this pdf, especially on Pg42 (by document viewer page #) which shows the immobiliser circuit.

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_..._98_Wiring.pdf

I might be wrong on this but it looks to me as if there is a combined alarm/immobiliser operated by a fob, rather than having the RFID chip. If so, do you have the alarm fob for the car? Again that should be with the key or perhaps, integral with the key.

See how you get on with the landlord getting the key (and hopfeully the alarm fob if it's separate) back and hopefully you'll be able to start it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 09:44   #8
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Have a look at this pdf, especially on Pg42 (by document viewer page #) which shows the immobiliser circuit.

I might be wrong on this but it looks to me as if there is a combined alarm/immobiliser operated by a fob, rather than having the RFID chip. If so, do you have the alarm fob for the car? Again that should be with the key or perhaps, integral with the key.

See how you get on with the landlord getting the key (and hopfeully the alarm fob if it's separate) back and hopefully you'll be able to start it.
If it is a Volvoguard 2 system I know of a work-around.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 13:32   #9
Stalledvolvos90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

Hey I actually do not have anything but a cut key that unlocks everything but the trunk at the moment. I’m keeping on with getting it sorted.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 13:34   #10
Stalledvolvos90

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
If it is a Volvoguard 2 system I know of a work-around.
That will be the first thing I check tomorrow. If a work around is do-able I’d love to save some money and enjoy the car! How tough are these workarounds?