Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what could be draining my power?

Views : 11100

Replies : 129

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2019, 16:54   #21
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

do you have sat nav / rti and / or dolby pro logic?

these specfically require a beefier battery according to user manual so they must be heavy drains on the system might be worth disabling them.

could be that previously the car had an aftermarket radio and someones got the constant and switched live the wring way - leaving the amp on all the time
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 17:40   #22
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Hi.
So you`ve replaced everything apart from the starter relay and the ignition switch. If they check out OK then I reckon it`s high resistance in the wiring . So it`s either a corroded joint , a dry solder joint, bent pin - not contacting, or a partial break in a wire somewhere.
As far as I`m aware the CEM just sends info to the DIM - the DIM doesn`t drive anything. If there was a fault with the DIM it would be Can-Bus detected and a fault code given in VIDA, (unless the fault is in the can-bus wiring itself).
I believe (as you have VIDA) that you can live test the start sequence and if it`s all good you should see "Start Initiated".
You said in your first post that the DIM flickers. It may not necessarily mean there lies the fault but that the fault is further upstream.
how do you do that on vida? i know how to get live data you goto vehicle communication then right click ecm then expand ecm and you can then double click things and you can choose upto 10

starter relay ive not touched that or ignition switch but i did get a problem mwith the ignition barrell last week but we fixed it sprayed a load of wd40 in there and got it released then degreased it then put graphite powder in. the problem was it would only goto position 1 but apparently it was just stuck and not broken like youtube video's suggest. but thats probably coincidence

is the ignition switch coded?
totalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 17:41   #23
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
havent read anything yet so commenting blind..

crap battery, corroded alarm siren, starter on the way out drawing too much current
thanks but tried 3 batteries

alarm siren is all good replaced its battery but i disconnected it all anyway and removed fuse to see if that was the problem and it wasnt.

starter was replaced didnt fix the problem it was new also
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 17:43   #24
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
do you have sat nav / rti and / or dolby pro logic?

these specfically require a beefier battery according to user manual so they must be heavy drains on the system might be worth disabling them.

could be that previously the car had an aftermarket radio and someones got the constant and switched live the wring way - leaving the amp on all the time
no i have the poverty model amp built into the stereo but im not using the original i got another one but we disconnected it all to see if it made any difference but no

you know people say these need beefy batteries for different reasons but when ilooked it up all the diesels from 2000 on take a 019 model battery
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 17:43   #25
JoeNinety

Still no info about amps values on shutdown....
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 17:52   #26
totalguy

update

ok so battery was fully charged and i started the car up without the dim in place. something odd though the alternator and at the battery was reading 13.4 volts while the car was running but i guess it may be because the battery was completely fully charged so im not going to take that as accurate. i did put on all the lights and wipers and the drop was very small not even 0.4v

i checked the ground cable for volts as per video but i bet ive done it totally wrong https://youtu.be/NabyfpaTwGs

see attached photos the battery settled at 12.5v after being off for 30 mins

the readings on the meter are amps higher number after 10 minutes of the car all shut down and yes the boot was also latched. then the second one was after 30 minutes.

so as i said before i really dont think there is a drain happening but im happy to be told otherwise if im wrong.

so tomorrow i will see what happens if the car does the same then ive achieved nothing. but if it runs maybe there is a problem. not getting my hopes up though nothing ever goes right testing this bloody car!
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 17:52   #27
cheshired5
Premier Member

The standby current drain found so far isn't enough to cause even the smallest of problems so you need to run a much longer test for several hours using a meter with an auto power-off override and the ability to record and store high/low readings.

It sounds like something is bursting into life that shouldn't be and causing a problem.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 17:52   #28
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNinety View Post
Still no info about amps values on shutdown....
just read the past post i did i was writing it before you replied
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 17:55   #29
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
The standby current drain found so far isn't enough to cause even the smallest of problems so you need to run a much longer test for several hours using a meter with an auto power-off override and the ability to record and store high/low readings.

It sounds like something is bursting into life that shouldn't be and causing a problem.
exactly as i was saying its not a drain or atleast not a parasitic drain anyway

i cant override the auto power off and ive not got anything to record over time that is way beyond my means where electrics are concerned!

the best i can do is take readings in the morning before and after a start attempt but im 95% sure i will find nothing.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 18:11   #30
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalguy View Post
the best i can do is take readings in the morning before and after a start attempt but im 95% sure i will find nothing.
Ok, time for some straight talking which is 100% intended to help you in the long run.

You won't find anything doing the tests in the way that you are.
This thread is absolutely full of sound and tried and tested advice and given that your car is no different to any other car, you should very easily find the root cause of your problem.

Your biggest issue is that you keep dismissing the suggestions given and you're telling us that you've already tried X, Y and Z yet your video and photos show that you don't have a clue how to use the meter.

Just ask someone who knows what to do or find someone who is willing to accept advice from people with lots of experience and they will find your issue in very little time.