Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Owner - XC60 T4 Edition

Views : 4970

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2019, 11:35   #1
XC60AndyH

Default New Owner - XC60 T4 Edition

Greetings all

Picked up our new XC60 T4 Edition last week. I couldn't find much about this model or engine online before I purchased, so thought I'd share some first impressions.

Although this model can be configured on the Volvo website, I was told by the dealer that all cars are now built, so for us it was a case of finding the closest specification that met our needs. The upside is that the car was delivered within 2 weeks of us placing the order.

Ended up with a Denim Blue car with blond interior, Xenium, intellisafe surround, family pack and winter pack. Added a spare wheel as dealer-fit accessory. My employer is part of the Volvo "Affinity" scheme, so I feel that we got a decent price. Versus a comparably specced Momentum T5/B5 it was usefully cheaper, although I hadn't planned to add quite so many options.

As first time parents this will hopefully be a family car that we keep for many years. It will be used by my wife for short trips on a daily basis and for longer family trips, maybe up to 8k miles p.a. so we wanted a petrol car and have no need for 4WD.

We were only able to test drive a T5 Inscription Pro, but I think the Momentum/Edition compares well in terms of interior quality and equipment.

I have no complaints about performance. It compares well to my 2017 2.0 TDI 150bhp FWD VW Tiguan. It doesn't feel dissimilar to the T5 unless you really put your foot down.

On a long run at the weekend (mostly dual carriageway) we managed just over 32mpg, which is acceptable although I'm hoping it improves slightly.

Loving the surround cameras and BLIS, they weren't on our original wish list but can't imagine not having them now.

I gather the T4s are built in China. I have no issues with the build quality, panel gaps, etc.

We also test drove the XC40 T4, which wasn't big enough for our needs despite similar external dimensions to the Tiguan. Very different car, the XC40 felt much livelier, handling more like a small hatchback. By comparison the XC60 is way more refined.

Only real negative is the lack of front passenger leg room with our Group 0 rear-facing child seat installed (which we did notice on the test drive). He will need a bigger seat soon, so will be looking for something that takes up slightly less depth if possible. I see that Volvo sell what appears to be an own-branded version of the Britax Romer Dualfix - does anyone on here use one of those?
XC60AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 11:54   #2
CNC XC60

Thanks for the info. I've ordered the XC60 T4 Edition in Osmium Grey with Charcoal interior. No packs included. It arrives in just under 2 weeks and I've been a little apprehensive due to the lack of information online about this model and engine.

As luck would have it, we have a Britax Romer Dualfix for our 1 year old. Well she's 1 in three weeks time so it will be rear facing for now. I'll let you know how it fits. It's this model....

Is this the model you looked at from Volvo? I will let you know how it fits in the XC60 in a few weeks time.

Is the T4 engine ok at pulling away at lights, roundabouts etc? What kind of mpg are you getting for short trips around town? Does Apple CarPlay require the phone to be connected via USB or does it work over Bluetooth? Audi requires USB whereas BMW have gone down the Bluetooth route.
CNC XC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 12:12   #3
volvo s60 2001

Does Apple CarPlay require the phone to be connected via USB or does it work over Bluetooth? Audi requires USB whereas BMW have gone down the Bluetooth route.[/QUOTE]

Apple car play and AA work only with USB connected in Volvos.
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 12:49   #4
CNC XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo s60 2001 View Post

Thanks for the info. I think that’s the safer option. You are far less likely to touch your phone when driving when it’s connected by usb and stored in a compartment.
CNC XC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 14:15   #5
XC60AndyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC XC60 View Post
Thanks for the info. I've ordered the XC60 T4 Edition in Osmium Grey with Charcoal interior. No packs included. It arrives in just under 2 weeks and I've been a little apprehensive due to the lack of information online about this model and engine.

As luck would have it, we have a Britax Romer Dualfix for our 1 year old. Well she's 1 in three weeks time so it will be rear facing for now. I'll let you know how it fits. It's this model....

Is this the model you looked at from Volvo? I will let you know how it fits in the XC60 in a few weeks time.

Is the T4 engine ok at pulling away at lights, roundabouts etc? What kind of mpg are you getting for short trips around town? Does Apple CarPlay require the phone to be connected via USB or does it work over Bluetooth? Audi requires USB whereas BMW have gone down the Bluetooth route.
I was apprehensive too, but as the T5 was so powerful and T4 pulled very well in the XC40 I thought it would be fine, and it is. I'm not sure about MPG around town as we've not really used it enough yet and I only just found how to get the Trip Average rather than long-term average MPG to display. I'm thinking it will be high 20s on a shorter run.

T4 engine has 191bhp, and as it's petrol FWD it's the lightest model in the range. Honestly it has more than enough power for me and felt safe when I needed to overtake someone travelling at 40mph on a 60mph single carriageway A-road. The only thing I didn't like when pulling away from junctions, etc, was the stop-start, but that can be turned off. I used to have a Jaguar XE diesel auto which bogged down badly at junctions and this is much better than that.

As others have said, carplay is USB only. I've only tried Android Auto so far. Compared to my VW I like the fact that it doesn't take over the whole display, so you can still access parts of the Volvo system.

Thanks for the response on the child seat. They look to have done a new "i-size" version of the Romer, which looks like this:

Volvo's version (which I can't seem to find for sale online), looks like this:

It's quite clearly the same seat with a different cover.

Our little one is only 5 months but has already outgrown his maxi-cosi Rock, which he now seems too broad shouldered for. I think part of the problem is the newborn rear-facing seats are quite reclined, and hence deep. I might just need to install it behind the driver's seat. Be interested to hear how you get on with yours. Looks like the i-size version is 74cm deep; the maxi cosi base and seat are 67cm deep individually, but they overlap so I need to measure the depth with a tape measure to compare.
XC60AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 22:30   #6
Bigyell

I ordered an XC60 T4 Edition in Onyx black with charcoal interior back in August and it’s now due to arrive in 2 weeks and I’m really looking forward to getting it. I too hadn’t seen much info on them until recently when they seem to have arrived in the dealerships but looking at the T4’s performance stats I felt that would be fine for my driving requirements. These days I place more importance in a quiet and comfortable drive than worry about the 0-60 time (I must be getting old )
Also, the £1675 of extras added as standard compared to a Momentum was a factor in my decision to go for this model.
Bigyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 10:06   #7
antman99
VOC Member

Good to see some feedback on these, I have an edition on order with intelisafe pro and winter pack, main reason for me was if I were to spec a momentum I would have wanted the tinted windows and camera so this model with that and the other 2 wants still comes under 40k by a whisker so no luxury car tax.

I dealt with @mtillingvolvo who is a great guy and would highly recommend so far, also they have some pre-reg models in stock for just under 31k which in my mind is a fantastic offer for an xc60 with good standard spec.

I currently have a 2016 model with the d4 on paper the t4 looks similar spec but obviously I am expecting less torque but that is why we have the BMW i3.
antman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 07:59   #8
D3GGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo s60 2001 View Post
Does Apple CarPlay require the phone to be connected via USB or does it work over Bluetooth? Audi requires USB whereas BMW have gone down the Bluetooth route.

Apple car play and AA work only with USB connected in Volvos.[/QUOTE]

CarPlay only works when connected however I am waiting for an aftermarket Bluetooth adapter to arrive which will allow wireless CarPlay. It just plugs into the CarPlay usb socket. I have also ordered a Qi charger designed for the S/XC range.

Adapter

https://carplay2air.com/

Charger

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000061710401.html
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 10:34   #9
Rjhsteel2001

Picked up our Xc60 T4 edition. Although I hadn’t realised it didn’t have keyless entry....thought it was standard ?
Rjhsteel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 11:24   #10
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3GGY View Post
CarPlay only works when connected however I am waiting for an aftermarket Bluetooth adapter to arrive which will allow wireless CarPlay. It just plugs into the CarPlay usb socket. I have also ordered a Qi charger designed for the S/XC range.

Adapter

https://carplay2air.com/

Charger

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000061710401.html[/QUOTE]

Well I am sorry, but I can't justify the price of almost £200 ( both accessories) for the exchange of 5 seconds I'll be wasting to connect my phone with the cable! I can put my phone wherever I want (hidden from the view of anyone) and at the same time it will be charged, but you need to keep it on the wireless charger ( if you want to charge it of course).
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo s60 2001 For This Useful Post: