Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Control arm lifespan

Views : 2223

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 19:16   #1
artiedtke
Just one more thing...

Default Control arm lifespan

So after approx 33,000 miles I've been advised today that my NSF control arm is shot once again.

The part fitted was a Delphi branded part.

Can anyone comment on the lifespan of aftermarket control arms, what is their expected life.

Also I hear reports the the Volvo blue box OEM and Lemforder arms last much much longer, but at £170 per arm, nearly £100 more than a Delphi or Febi part i think I'll need some convincing before i fold !

I've come to the conclusion that this is a definite 850/V70 weak spot. I don't know if it's down to that cast iron lump I have anchored at the front of mine, whats the experience of you chaps with petrols ? Also are the supposedly stronger "4 bolt" versions more prone to wear that the classic "2 bolt" versions.

Would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts.

'98 V40 2.0T B4204T - died...
'96 855 2.5 TDI D5252T - 255,000 miles
"Diesel without turbo is like a woman without boobs... sure you can drive it, but there's always something missing."
artiedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 19:21   #2
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

I have had only good experience with Trw's equipment ... Which I have a strong suspicion is what the Volvo ones are , shoved in a blue box and stupid price Sir.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 19:29   #3
artiedtke
Just one more thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi dudi View Post
I have had only good experience with Trw's equipment ... Which I have a strong suspicion is what the Volvo ones are , shoved in a blue box and stupid price Sir.
Have also heard good about TRW.

Disagree with you though, I think Volvo OEM ARE Lemforder. The prices are also very similar. £159 ish.

"Diesel without turbo is like a woman without boobs... sure you can drive it, but there's always something missing."
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 19:42   #4
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

It was only a suspicion about the origins of the bottom arms...

What I do know as fact though is the replacement Trw trackrod end's I fitted a few months ago.. Had the same part no on them, as the genuine Volvo one's they were replacing.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 20:08   #5
artiedtke
Just one more thing...

Hmm interesting.

I cant seem to find TRW arms in 4 bolt version though.

Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 21:53   #6
catflem
Master Member

might be worth contacting these two, and ask if they are using stock photos rather than photos of the actual items........... both list them as being suitable for 850/V70 tdi's

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S70-...item5d4d25d606

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRW-Left-S...item51bed4c15b
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 23:07   #7
kenny
Master Member

I won't use Delphi parts it's over priced cra*
Their discs and pads a terrible and anything with any sort of ball joint just ain't worth thinking about.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 23:18   #8
brickman
Premier Member

All tdi/t5/r fwd should have the 4 bolt arms shouldn't they?

I would expect the front arms to be a weak spot looking at them, the diesel is just that much heavier and the part isn't that strong.

Poly bush the existing part would be.my choice
Saw two st200s in the scrappy today an estate and a saloon, and both were fully polybushed, shame they were scrapped as quite liked that series of ford's.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 10:41   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I've had exactly this problem, and have found that the Meyle Heavy Duty arm is a good compromise between cost and quality - it looks extremely good quality compared to a "standard" aftermarket part.

Look on the PFV site, you will see both "standard" items and "Heavy Duty" ones - the HD ones are the Meyle part that I fitted and it looks like it's going to last just fine. They're more expensive that standard of course, but not off the scale, and it'll pay in the long run.

If it's just the inner pair of bushes that are wearing, and the ball joint is OK then as above you can indeed put a polybush kit on them (I did that on one of mine) but the downside is that you're still left with a poorer quality ball joint, so if that fails then you're still going to have to change the whole arm. I found that the Meyle arm had bushes that looked every bit as strong as the Polybush kit, and the ball joint also looked much better made.

Just my two-pennor'th, but I agree they are a weak-ish point on these cars, and therefore I think it pays to get the best quality you can, it's a real case of false economy to fit cheap ones.
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 16:40   #10
Thanatos
VOC Member

they will be the 5 bolt version for the tdi you cannot polybush them as far as i am aware as no where makes them but happy to be proved wrong

unlike the 3 bolt version the 5 bolt version you will need to lift the gearbox to change the bolts as theres not enough room to get 1 fully out

i used lemforders last time and they are good much better quality then the others i have seen
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thanatos For This Useful Post: