Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

WiFi Tethering iPhone

Views : 1870

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2018, 11:04   #1
pdhv40

Default WiFi Tethering iPhone

Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm I’m not missing a trick.

When I tether with Bluetooth it connects automatically and within a few seconds I am connected to the internet.

However, when using WiFi tethering (as you can’t use Bluetooth with AppleCarPlay) I have to go into the hotspot setting in the iPhone every time, it then takes a short while and connects to the internet, after that, I can carry on using it with the screen off for all my journey.

Is this other people’s experience with WiFi tethering and iPhone or does anyone have hints on connecting automatically without having to go into settings every time?

The hotspot is turned on but seems to go to go into suspend until you go into settings.

Thanks in advance
pdhv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 11:23   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhv40 View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm I’m not missing a trick.

When I tether with Bluetooth it connects automatically and within a few seconds I am connected to the internet.

However, when using WiFi tethering (as you can’t use Bluetooth with AppleCarPlay) I have to go into the hotspot setting in the iPhone every time, it then takes a short while and connects to the internet, after that, I can carry on using it with the screen off for all my journey.

Is this other people’s experience with WiFi tethering and iPhone or does anyone have hints on connecting automatically without having to go into settings every time?

The hotspot is turned on but seems to go to go into suspend until you go into settings.

Thanks in advance
Its an iphone thing, android phones usually stay tethered, but battery runs down quick if left on.
Go to post #5 on this thread for an answer.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...wifi+tethering
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 11:47   #3
pdhv40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Its an iphone thing, android phones usually stay tethered, but battery runs down quick if left on.
Thanks, I assumed that was the case but good to have a second opinion.

I’ve just ordered a 3 24gb/24 month data SIM for £42 so I’ll just use the in built WiFi which will hopefully be more streamlined
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 12:24   #4
WhatNext?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Not strictly correct. Most newer devices (last 2-3 years) turn off WiFi tethering if there is no devices connected after some time. But very much depend on your manufacturer. (Google Pixel for sure does)

You can add a WiFi quick toggle on most Android (so easy access notification shade), but you can also use NFC or run an app (such as Tasker to automatically do this every time your phone connect to your car's Bluetooth)
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 12:54   #5
pdhv40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke69 View Post
Not strictly correct. Most newer devices (last 2-3 years) turn off WiFi tethering if there is no devices connected after some time. But very much depend on your manufacturer. (Google Pixel for sure does)

You can add a WiFi quick toggle on most Android (so easy access notification shade), but you can also use NFC or run an app (such as Tasker to automatically do this every time your phone connect to your car's Bluetooth)
Problem is when connected to AppleCarPlay Bluetooth isn’t used as it overrides the Bluetooth functionality
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 13:13   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke69 View Post

Yes I was going to add my new Samsung phone turns off tethering but my older samsung phones stayed on but to keep it short I just put "usually" and a link to the other thread.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 16:52   #7
lalith16

I too don’t think it is an iPhone thing. My laptop tethers automatically with my iPhone X over wifi as soon as my laptop turns on. However, my car doesn’t tether automatically over wifi as soon as I start the car although the hotspot is already switched on in my phone’s settings. To make it work, as the OP stated, I have to go into my iPhone’s hotspot setting, then switch it off, then back on again before the connection is established.

Last edited by lalith16; Sep 9th, 2018 at 16:55.
lalith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lalith16 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 19:09   #8
T4ylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhv40 View Post
Thanks, I assumed that was the case but good to have a second opinion.

I’ve just ordered a 3 24gb/24 month data SIM for £42 so I’ll just use the in built WiFi which will hopefully be more streamlined
I am getting my new car on Friday and was looking at this sim also from Amazon. My question is how long would people expect 24gb to last under everyday usage. I am not so much talking about Spotify streaming but more of RTTI?

Thanks
T4ylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 20:16   #9
pdhv40

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ylor View Post
I am getting my new car on Friday and was looking at this sim also from Amazon. My question is how long would people expect 24gb to last under everyday usage. I am not so much talking about Spotify streaming but more of RTTI?

Thanks
I ordered mine from 7dayshop. If it’s just RTTI then the data usage is negligible, it’s only a few Mb so if you’re just using it for that I’d imagine you’ll still have data left after 24 months.

I will be using mine for Spotify too but should be enough as assume it caches played songs
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 20:29   #10
Roosterb

My 12 GB card expired this week after 12 months with approx 2 GB still on it.