Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

WiFi Tethering iPhone

Views : 1884

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2018, 19:34   #11
pdhv40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterb View Post
My 12 GB card expired this week after 12 months with approx 2 GB still on it.
What were you using yours for? Was it just the basic apps or did you stream music too?
pdhv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 20:16   #12
apnicolle

If you use Spotify and your passengers are teenagers and use YouTube, then you’ll be using 12Gb a month on the school run alone...
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 22:53   #13
ian77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhv40 View Post
I ordered mine from 7dayshop. If it’s just RTTI then the data usage is negligible, it’s only a few Mb so if you’re just using it for that I’d imagine you’ll still have data left after 24 months.
Three do a free data sim - 200Mb per month at no cost (http://www.three.co.uk/freedata) Only problem is to activate it you need to put it in the car then call them or use the online chat as you can’t seem to use a teathered web browser in the car. They stuck 1Gb on mine for the first month for free; in a week I’ve used 80Mb but of that 60 was downloading apps otherwise it’s just traffic and weather data. Hopefully 200Mb a month will do!
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 16:14   #14
NathanJT

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but If I have a SIM installed but also have my phone tethered is there a priority as to which is used for the data feed?

I've no issue getting one of 24month data cards but I use Spotify almost exclusively for my audio and can easily use more than 1GB per month. My phone contract has 32GB a month for this very reason.
NathanJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 16:34   #15
tabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJT View Post
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but If I have a SIM installed but also have my phone tethered is there a priority as to which is used for the data feed?

I've no issue getting one of 24month data cards but I use Spotify almost exclusively for my audio and can easily use more than 1GB per month. My phone contract has 32GB a month for this very reason.
I believe once you check "Car Modem" in the settings, it disables the Wi-Fi connection, so no danger of it using your phone still.

Only issue I found in France was that the Car Modem lost connection quite a lot. Not sure if it was 3's problem, or black spots, but it got quite annoying. This was using Android Auto, with Google Play Music streaming audio, from my phone connecting to the in car WiFi hotspot, which was using the Car Modem SIM (phew). So maybe all that complication just made it a bit glitchy.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 18:12   #16
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
I too don’t think it is an iPhone thing. My laptop tethers automatically with my iPhone X over wifi as soon as my laptop turns on. However, my car doesn’t tether automatically over wifi as soon as I start the car although the hotspot is already switched on in my phone’s settings. To make it work, as the OP stated, I have to go into my iPhone’s hotspot setting, then switch it off, then back on again before the connection is established.
It is an iPhone thing, they put the hotspot to sleep after a certain time period. However, you will find that other Apple products are able to connect, this is an Apple to Apple thing where they use your iCloud account and bluetooth to establish that the devices are in range and wake up the hotspot to allow the connection.

Its the same for any none-apple product trying to re-connect. Volvo's cannot see the iPhone hotspot unless you first go into settings -> personal hotspot. My kids tablets cannot access the hotspot on my phone until I go into settings -> hotspot either. However, my MacBook can see the connection and connect without me having to do anything on my phone.

Note also that I don't believe you need to toggle the hotspot on and off, simple go into the hotspot menu and wait a few seconds.

Hope this helps.

:wq
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 18:33   #17
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
It is an iPhone thing, they put the hotspot to sleep after a certain time period. However, you will find that other Apple products are able to connect, this is an Apple to Apple thing where they use your iCloud account and bluetooth to establish that the devices are in range and wake up the hotspot to allow the connection.

Its the same for any none-apple product trying to re-connect. Volvo's cannot see the iPhone hotspot unless you first go into settings -> personal hotspot. My kids tablets cannot access the hotspot on my phone until I go into settings -> hotspot either. However, my MacBook can see the connection and connect without me having to do anything on my phone.

Note also that I don't believe you need to toggle the hotspot on and off, simple go into the hotspot menu and wait a few seconds.

Hope this helps.

:wq
The laptop that I use to tether with my iPhone over wifi is a non-Apple laptop and I don’t have to do a thing to tether that laptop with my iPhone; the laptop does it instantly and automatically as long as the hotspot is switched on within my iPhone settings. However, it is a different story altogether with the car.

Now with regards to having to toggle hotspot on and off to get the car connected to my iPhone, toggling is the only way I can get it to work i.e. that was the case until few days ago when I last tethered.
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 18:04   #18
pdhv40

My free 3 sim with 200mb of data arrived today, put it in the car, works a treat, would recommend
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 18:52   #19
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhv40 View Post
My free 3 sim with 200mb of data arrived today, put it in the car, works a treat, would recommend
Looks like we both ordered it on the same day; mine arrived today and started using it straight away in the car. As you say it works a treat. However, never been on 3 network before and I don’t know how good their coverage is.
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 22:23   #20
pdhv40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
Looks like we both ordered it on the same day; mine arrived today and started using it straight away in the car. As you say it works a treat. However, never been on 3 network before and I don’t know how good their coverage is.
I’m on 3 for my mobile and I’ve always found theirb4g coverage really good, getting signal where colleagues on O2 couldn’t.
The Following User Says Thank You to pdhv40 For This Useful Post: