Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear fog lights

Views : 591

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2019, 17:34   #1
Peterscar

Default Rear fog lights

I have a 2002 C70 here in France.

The French, bless their cotton socks, have changed the rules for their MOT.

My car has a fog light on the off side only (driver's side). This was not a problem until the MOT rule changes.

As we drive on the right here, the fog light arrangement must be either, 2 fog lights or a single fog light on the left (passenger side).

Strangely, the hand book says there is a fog light on the left only - this must mean from the front of the car looking towards the rear - i.e. driver's side.

I removed a blanking plate from the passenger side rear cluster and put a bulb in the holder provided.

Alas, this doesn't appear to be wired in - i.e. no passenger side rear fog light.

Has anyone had this problem and could it be that it won't work with 2 bulbs in place. If so, that seems odd. I haven't tried removing the other bulb - the clusters are a pig to remove !!!

Thanks in advance

Peter

Last edited by Peterscar; Jul 9th, 2019 at 17:36.
Peterscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 18:03   #2
Peterscar

Default Rear fog lights

I've just had another look at the cluster and discovered it's not wired on the passenger side for the fog light bulb.

This seems very odd as I'd have thought Volvo would have used the same cluster for left or right hand drive models - no such luck !!!

Any ideas how I could add that connection - seems to be a galvanised metal strip for the contact but there's also a spring in there. Difficult stuff to solder I'd guess.........................
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 23:01   #3
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Dig back far enough in this forum section and you'll find quite a few threads about this in the 850 estate and V70, they have the same thing of only a drivers side rear foglight but the metal pressing in the light fitting is the same both sides except the vital link for the foglight is missing, as I recall the actual wiring loom is powered ready for both sides.
On my V70 I installed the internals of another offside light into the nearside, there's just a little peg moulded into the black plastic that needs cutting off to allow it to fit, I don't think that's possible on the C70 but as you're in France you could try to get hold of a French (European) driver's side unit. Alternatively others have managed to solder a linking wire into the nearside unit.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 10:42   #4
Peterscar

Thanks David - I'm glad it's not just me !!

Looking at my clusters, I think there's a significant different between the 2 clusters. The bulb placings are "reversed" left to right and even the shape of the moulding is "reversed".

Without re-checking, I'm not sure the "outer" bulb contacts are there - the holder may just be plastic. Certainly the "leg" feeding the centre bulb contact isn't there.

I wondered if it might be possible to solder a wire to the bulb contact and use a "plug" connector to attach it to the end of the galvanised metal "wires" but, if the rim contacts are also missing, that would be pointless.

Finding a scrap French C70 would be a bit like the proverbial needle in a haystack - C70's are quite rare here. I wonder what the situation is lin the States - they drive on the "wrong" side too ...................

I'll have a dig back on here and see what I can glean - thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peterscar For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 12:02   #5
C70 98

I stuck a piece of metal between the 'metal wiring' and the bulb on mine, works a treat, now I have two rear fog lights.
C70 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C70 98 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 17:06   #6
Peterscar

Thanks C70 98 - what exactly do you mean by "stuck a bit of metal" ?

How did you "stick it" - glue, solder or just jammed in ?

If the latter, won't it vibrate loose at some stage and did you use a spring behind it like the other bulbs ?

If so, where did you get the spring from ?

Cheers.
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 19:04   #7
C70 98

I just jammed it under the 'metal wire', if you carefully pry the wire up a bit you can get in a thin metal sheet under it. I was lucky enough to have a spare cluster from another c70, RHD that as well, but I cut off a bit of the 'metal wire' from the spare one, and the spring as well.

Mine has worked perfectly for 3+ years now.

Should work with any metal sheet and a spring of approx the same size as on the other side.
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 10:16   #8
Peterscar

Thanks C70 98.

I think in your case, having that spare cluster was the key. I don't have that luxury .. and used a .....................

I have cobbled something together to get it through the MOT but it's far from ideal.

I soldered a wire to the centre contact on the bulb and connected it to the stump of the metal strip with a slide on connector. Fine until the bulb needs changing .................................
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 11:02   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

As you've already got power to the cluster you need by soldering the wire to the bulb etc, that will keep you going for a while but in the meantime why not look for a secondhand cluster with the fog light in? If you're in France and it's a requirement, chances are that there will be scrapyards with the right sort of cluster you need.

Then you can "pretty up" the connections and have a proper bulbholder too!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 11:07   #10
C70 98

If it's just a matter of getting it through the inspection, then pull the fuse or the bulb, that's what I was told by the inspector in Sweden, maybe it's the same in France.
That's what I did on my first RHD c70, on the second RHD c70 I made the above modification so that both lights work, both of these setups (no rear fog light, or two rear fog lights) are fully legal and passed the inspection here.
The Following User Says Thank You to C70 98 For This Useful Post: