Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF Regeration Duration (bank 1) Algorithm Based Failures

Views : 1148

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2019, 14:05   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default DPF Regeration Duration (bank 1) Algorithm Based Failures

Have already posted this in the "Diesel" section but have had no response, hoping for more luck in the V70 section.:-

V70 D5 215BHP 2015MY 41000 miles.
Driving home on A1/M1 @ 65/70mph tonight noticed a significant drop in fuel consumption. Assumed it was a DPF "Regen" in progress. However, some 50 miles later the "Regen" appeared to be still underway as the MPG had not recovered.
At home a check up on 2014D VIDA/DICE tells me : ECM-P245868Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Duration (Bank 1) - Algorithm Based Failures.

I tried the /delivery / read all / erase all , but the code did not go away. I tried a second time and it still remained.

While DICE was connected I checked the soot mass in the particulate filter and it returned the result as 1.5g - which I'm assuming is very good.

No dash warning lights ( MIL) are visible and the car did not appear to go into limp mode after I came off the Motorway and drove the 20 mile home

Suggestions as to my next course of action most appreciated.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 15:27   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Vida says that the code isn't a fault code as such and is for information only so there doesn't appear to be too much you can do.
The only possible source given is, "Driving in too adverse conditions for regeneration to be completed."

For now, given that Vida isn't bothered and your soot level is so low, I'd not concern myself too much either.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 16:09   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Vida says that the code isn't a fault code as such and is for information only so there doesn't appear to be too much you can do.
The only possible source given is, "Driving in too adverse conditions for regeneration to be completed."

For now, given that Vida isn't bothered and your soot level is so low, I'd not concern myself too much either.
I'd tend to agree with you, but I have two reservations :-

1) I'm not sure that Regen is completed - ( its certainly been interrupted - and wonder will it start again????) it lasted 50 miles on the motorway, and the A roads to home didn't allow constant speed driving to give a realistic and accurate appraisal if the Regen had stopped/was complete. If it restarts/continues I'm most unhappy with the 35mpg I was getting over the 55mpg I was getting before.

2) The inability of my VIDA/DICE to clear the DTC. Other "yellow" DTC related to the tyre pressure monitors were removed.

My next thought is to have a blast round a few hills at 3-4K RPM and see what the car decides to do. Today at idle the fuel monitor read 0.1GPH consumption again and not the 0.3GPH it read at the point I left the Motorway network.

Cheers
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 16:22   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

It's not that Vida can't erase the code, it's because part of the code erasing process involves switching off and on the engine twice so if the conditions for the code erasing haven't been satisfied during the ignition on self test, the code will remain.
A bit like having an SRS code for a resistance fault or the old alarm battery code. If the fault isn't fixed, the code will remain/return.

I'm sure a decent run at a constant (medium to high) speed will sort the issue and the code will erase as expected.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 20:59   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
It's not that Vida can't erase the code, it's because part of the code erasing process involves switching off and on the engine twice so if the conditions for the code erasing haven't been satisfied during the ignition on self test, the code will remain.
A bit like having an SRS code for a resistance fault or the old alarm battery code. If the fault isn't fixed, the code will remain/return.

I'm sure a decent run at a constant (medium to high) speed will sort the issue and the code will erase as expected.
After my return home I tried to erase the code - part of that process as you say is the x2 engine start as instructed. - My code did not go away.
This evening, I had a blast around for 10-15 miles in 2nd gear at approx. 3500RPM.
On return I re-ran the "diagnostic" part of VIDA. This time the DTC was yellow, not red, and I successfully "read all /Delete all". No more DTC.

Don't fully understand what caused the issue, but I'm concerned if travelling at a constant 65/70mph is "Driving in too adverse conditions for regeneration to be completed"
what must I do in the future??

If the same issue raises its head again, I'll re-visit this thread.

Cheers
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post: