Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Recall

Views : 2919

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2019, 19:54   #1
JC888

Default Recall

I have recently received a letter from Volvo regarding the inlet manifold recall.

In the letter it does say I need to await for second letter. Regardless I've given my dealership a call to enquire and was told that I won't need to come in unless I have issues (EML light, unusual smell etc).

I always thought whole point of a recall is to apply any preemptive fixes.

Any thoughts on this?
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 20:07   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC888 View Post
I have recently received a letter from Volvo regarding the inlet manifold recall.

In the letter it does say I need to await for second letter. Regardless I've given my dealership a call to enquire and was told that I won't need to come in unless I have issues (EML light, unusual smell etc).

I always thought whole point of a recall is to apply any preemptive fixes.

Any thoughts on this?
Don't panic, it will be carried out as a preventative measure when they get the parts and organised a repair strategy, a further letter will ask you to take your car in for the preventative work to fit the new manifold, and if you have any problems before then you will get it repaired sooner if you contact your dealer.
I doubt many will actually experience any problems before getting called in.

The first letter is to draw your attention to the potential problem and what to look out for and what to do if you have any symptoms.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jul 12th, 2019 at 20:11.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 20:43   #3
JC888

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Don't panic, it will be carried out as a preventative measure when they get the parts and organised a repair strategy, a further letter will ask you to take your car in for the preventative work to fit the new manifold, and if you have any problems before then you will get it repaired sooner if you contact your dealer.
I doubt many will actually experience any problems before getting called in.

The first letter is to draw your attention to the potential problem and what to look out for and what to do if you have any symptoms.
Thanks. Hopefully I get an update soon. The "inlet manifold may melt and deform or localised engine bay fire" risk does worry me. Apparently it affects all four cylinder diesel engines manufactured between 2014-2019.

However the dealership did say I don't ever need to come in unless there's an issue would suggest there won't be any preventative work?
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 23:09   #4
Roosterb

Who would make a part bolted to the cylinder head made from plastic. Oh yeah Volvo. Yet another recall. Hopefully it doesn't take 3 attempts like the powerpulse hose to get it fixed.
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 23:34   #5
big square car

Yes, I must confess I was somewhat taken aback to learn that the manifold was made of plastic! However why is this only becoming apparent now, after 5 years?
big square car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 23:37   #6
JC888

What's even more worrying is the dealership saying don't come in unless there is an issue. Shouldn't it be replaced anyway as precaution?
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 00:08   #7
Quacker
Premier Member

I’m not worried in the slightest about this. I don’t tow with it and even if I did I would idle the engine before stopping it to allow it to cool down. I mostly switch the stop/start system off. Have only once caught the engine regenerating the DPF when shutting down, so I restarted it immediately to dissipate the excessive heat.

The manifold is only ever likely to get really hot after shutting down after a heavy load, where the colder parts like the inlet manifold then become a heat sink. It’s not likely to happen while the engine is running.

The reason they don’t repair it straight away is probably because they do not have the required number of parts, and may not have even designed the required modifications yet. It is likely to take a considerable amount of workshop time to complete the mod when they have a solution. Could be a year or more before all eligible engines are done.

In the meantime just drive on and don’t worry about it but use normal best practice when shutting down a hard worked and hot engine.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 00:12   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC888 View Post
What's even more worrying is the dealership saying don't come in unless there is an issue. Shouldn't it be replaced anyway as precaution?
It is being replaced as a precaution, they just can't do every car straight away, we will all get called in when parts available and ready or at service interval. They are saying we will call you in when available but if you experience a problem contact your dealer straight away for a fix.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 13:48   #9
crusted lark

Quote:
Originally Posted by big square car View Post
However why is this only becoming apparent now, after 5 years?
I guess that means the failures are extremely rare. It may have taken 5 years for the fault to come to light (excuse the pun).
crusted lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 14:06   #10
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterb View Post
Who would make a part bolted to the cylinder head made from plastic. Oh yeah Volvo. Yet another recall. Hopefully it doesn't take 3 attempts like the powerpulse hose to get it fixed.
Many many cars have had plastic inlet manifolds for years now. Including Ford's.