Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Breakdown cover - difference between cheap and expensive

Views : 2014

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2019, 23:09   #1
Motormanical

Thumbs up Breakdown cover - difference between cheap and expensive

What is the difference between cheap breakdown cover and more expensive cover?

If I look at the table below for example, there are big differences in prices between companies for what seems like the same level of cover.

Breakdown Cover prices

Am I missing something? Anyone companies I should avoid?
Motormanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 06:51   #2
reggit
Premier Member

I’m with RAC, have been for years. Got a good discount last year when I phoned them to say they where too expensive.

Had need to use them a few weeks ago - 17 minutes to get an answer, then told upto 4 hours for someone to come.

Managed to fix the car myself in that time. Just a broken earth strap, but needed tools and something to fashion a new strap from to start the car.

I will not be using them again next year!

Can’t comment on other companies yet.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 07:15   #3
Dippydog
Premier Member

Been with the AA since 1984[now get membership as part of my bank account] I've had to call them out 4 times-different cars,different issues-no complaints about their service.Things may have changed now[hopefully so at least]but in the late '80s a mate was with Green Flag and his battery went flat due to a faulty car alarm while he was at the motor show in Birmingham.When he phoned them to explain his problem he was told they wouldn't attend as they didn't class a flat battery as a breakdown
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 08:34   #4
Austin160
Master Member

I guess the answer to ‘am I missing something...?’ question lies in deciding what level of cover is required and what the small print conditions stipulate to ensure you are eligible for the level of cover you have chosen.
Obviously, there will be responses relating to good and bad opinions of different organisations, but personally I don’t have any experience of any of the ‘unbelievably cheap’ options. They may be OK, but you would need to study the detail.
My experience shows me the RAC automatically renews policies, which in my book is a recipe for disaster if you have any respect for your wallet. It also appears the major players tend to have targets on sales of such things as batteries, so if you have left your lights on then expect to be sold a new battery.
Again to me, it is important that the cover is extends to an option to ‘get the car home’ - to your local repair contacts, but the conditions under which this kicks in may well be restrictive.
So called ‘free with bank accounts’ can again be basic, and to me, it seems the current bottom line is an ‘£x/month’ cost and there can be a disregard to what that adds up to in a year.
Yes, there will be answers with experience, but I still feel it boils down to personal choice -having studied the small prints.
Cheapest is not always worse, and dearest certainly is never always best.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Austin160 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 08:53   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

My experience broadly echoes that of 'Dippydog', above.

We're also with the AA. Linda joined in '70 while I had been with the RAC since '67. After we got married in '82, the AA was first up for renewal, so we made the AA 'joint' and dropped the RAC. (I'd also had 'Supercover' on a new Mini in '78 - anyone remember that?!) Again, no complaints regarding the AA's service on the rare occasions that we have needed to use them, but then we have not had to be recovered the length of the country.

There are undoubtedly more providers in the market place today and it is now a much more competitive industry. Cost is relative, and whilst price should reflect quality, that is unfortunately not always the case. Much depends on the individual providing the service. Generally speaking, we have always had better service from AA patrols than from garages attending on their behalf under a sub-contract agreement with them.

Regards, John.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 09:04   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

My bargain basement AutoAid recovery overlapped with my Volvo recovery and in the last year I have used both... they both used the exact same recovery agent.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 09:07   #7
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Not much, if anything is the answer, I suspect.

Autoaid here - have used it a few times, and very happy. Even at the increased £60, cover for myself & wife, with all the bells & whistles is very good value.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 09:54   #8
green van man
Premier Member

RAC automatically renew policies agreed but mine has remained the same price for the last 4 years at least. However I buy through the Caravan and Camping club whom negotiate the whole deal which includes recovery of the caravan without car or both car and caravan and will also supply a driver to get car and caravan home should I be unable to drive. Personal cover for both me and the wife, so any car we are in covered £160 a year. Hope I never need it, but one never knows what's around the corner.

I also have the volvo assist which I think is RAC again on the volvo.

There are cheaper of course but few offer the services negotiated on my behalf by the CCC and with 2 cars a car specific policy would require 2 policies and 2 premiums.

Paul..
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 12:33   #9
Motormanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
My bargain basement AutoAid recovery overlapped with my Volvo recovery and in the last year I have used both... they both used the exact same recovery agent.
That's interesting. So do others on that list use third party recovery agents?
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 12:36   #10
Motormanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
I guess the answer to ‘am I missing something...?’ question lies in deciding what level of cover is required and what the small print conditions stipulate to ensure you are eligible for the level of cover you have chosen.
Obviously, there will be responses relating to good and bad opinions of different organisations, but personally I don’t have any experience of any of the ‘unbelievably cheap’ options. They may be OK, but you would need to study the detail.
My experience shows me the RAC automatically renews policies, which in my book is a recipe for disaster if you have any respect for your wallet. It also appears the major players tend to have targets on sales of such things as batteries, so if you have left your lights on then expect to be sold a new battery.
Again to me, it is important that the cover is extends to an option to ‘get the car home’ - to your local repair contacts, but the conditions under which this kicks in may well be restrictive.
So called ‘free with bank accounts’ can again be basic, and to me, it seems the current bottom line is an ‘£x/month’ cost and there can be a disregard to what that adds up to in a year.
Yes, there will be answers with experience, but I still feel it boils down to personal choice -having studied the small prints.
Cheapest is not always worse, and dearest certainly is never always best.
Yeah I've a lot of people complaining that their renewal price is more expensive than a new customer price. So much for loyalty. What stops you cancelling a renewal and then taking out a new policy with the same company at the lower new customer rate?

Tags
breakdown, breakdowncover