Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What can be done to break up a silver car

Views : 1714

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2019, 12:02   #11
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'd go for pinstripes along the length of the car, about waist height (on the car, not your waist) give or take a bit. Something like this, using the thicker part of the pinstrip at the top
Interesting! I like pin stripes as well.

Back when I had my Ph 1 V70 in dark blue, I put a 'dual' gold pinstripe down each side (but without the jazzy end bits as I didn't have them) and just ended them, at each end, wrapping round a body joint.

I tried it both ways, i.e. skinny strip on top and thick strip on top; bit I preferred it 'skinny on top'.

And tried it at various heights.

So I would make sure that if going with the project, make sure that you get plenty of striping (even various colours?) so that you can do trial runs! It might cost a bit more. Needless to say, apply the stripe lightly.

And when it comes to final decision, do it when it is warm and make sure you really stick it on hard to a polish-free surface!

I used this (found in my Volvo files) as a reference about doing the job... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xdpGwXhNI8

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.

Last edited by christheancient; Jul 14th, 2019 at 12:05. Reason: Addition
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 13:39   #12
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Anybody remember MK1 Cortina estates with the wood effect panels on the sides?

K.
Only vaguely remember them, but I clearly remember my mate Paul's big brother's Mk2 Cortina, with wide wheel arches, jacked up rear suspension, General Grabber tyres, and a band down the side sprayed with a lace pattern.

(not sure that's the look CCFMJL is thinking of though )

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 13:55   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Anybody remember MK1 Cortina estates with the wood effect panels on the sides?

K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Only vaguely remember them, but I clearly remember my mate Paul's big brother's Mk2 Cortina, with wide wheel arches, jacked up rear suspension, General Grabber tyres, and a band down the side sprayed with a lace pattern.

(not sure that's the look CCFMJL is thinking of though )
These be they :

Based on the American "Woody" idea i believe, don't think the trend lasted long though. Thankfully!

That said it did look good on some cars, the AMC Jeep Wagoneer, predecessor to the Chrysler-Jeep Cherokee :

Not sure it would work (or should that be "woodwork" ? ) on a Volvo of any description though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 15:33   #14
abdiel
VOC Member

Quote:
I'd go for pinstripes along the length of the car, about waist height (on the car, not your waist) give or take a bit. Something like this, using the thicker part of the pinstrip at the top :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12mm-Viny...k/173893052688

It comes with end sections to give an option for finishing near the end of the panel, rather than wrapping round the end.

If you get a roll of 12mm masking tape and with the aid of an assistant, put a length along the car, you can get an idea where the pinstripe will be most effective and the masking tape is easily removed and replaced to try different heights.

Simple but effective!

Ahhh, Go faster stripes! I remember those back in my dim & distant youth!
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 17:27   #15
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Based on the American "Woody" idea i believe, don't think the trend lasted long though. Thankfully!

That said it did look good on some cars, the AMC Jeep Wagoneer, predecessor to the Chrysler-Jeep Cherokee :
Lasted long enough for my first car a Mini Clubman Estate.
This isn't mine but it's the same repulsive colour as the one I had 'BLMC Limeflower'

Later ones had a painted stripe of similar size

David
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 17:46   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The Mini and Minor carried off the Woody-look quite well, just not the Mk1 Cortina. On the Minor, it was structural so one of the few vehicles to fail an MoT on woodworm.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 05:44   #17
green van man
Premier Member

The 2 colours I dislike on a car are red and silver, at one time I owned both, silver V70 red discovery, still have the discovery.

What I noticed was that I did not notice the cars colour when I was driving, so stopped worrying about it.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 10:27   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
The 2 colours I dislike on a car are red and silver, at one time I owned both, silver V70 red discovery, still have the discovery.

What I noticed was that I did not notice the cars colour when I was driving, so stopped worrying about it.

Paul.
I've always had horrendous luck with red cars, i won't even consider buying one now.

Old Jul 16th, 2019, 11:36   #19
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

My mother in law had a wobbly when we got a green Proton, green is an 'unlucky' colour according to her. The Proton was a good enough car and since then I got the green V70, 9 years of ownership and I still feel lucky to drive it.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 19:13   #20
T5Sweep
Master Member

Tiger stripes!
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5Sweep For This Useful Post: