Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlamp failure service required

Views : 4807

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2019, 05:50   #1
rob s80

Default Headlamp failure service required

Message on the 2008 V70 SE Lux

To start, the message wasn't always on, but I got vida and dince up and running again now that I have a Volvo again and sure enough I was playing around with it, checking features, codes and settings.

I went into HCM and did the calibration and the headlights go up and down fine and all shows well, I can move them up down and adjust etc, all good.

After doing it all that's when the warning message comes up, so I went and checked the DTC code and it was HCM - B104154.

https://www.dtcdecode.com/Volvo/HCM-B104154

And when I go in and check calibration it's saying rear axle is calibrated but the front axle is not calibrated in relation to the headlights.

So where do I go from here ? I bet this is something I can't fix myself !
rob s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 09:32   #2
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , I suggest unclipping the link arm for the front sensor . aim front of car agasint a wall , run engine & turn on headlights , then move arm up & down . Pausing at either end of the movement to see if light alter their aim point , they should move .

IF they do not , the most probable reason is a duff sensor , see many makes with these issues at MOT time
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 13:36   #3
rob s80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Hello there , I suggest unclipping the link arm for the front sensor . aim front of car agasint a wall , run engine & turn on headlights , then move arm up & down . Pausing at either end of the movement to see if light alter their aim point , they should move .

IF they do not , the most probable reason is a duff sensor , see many makes with these issues at MOT time
Hey thanks for that reply.

I "think" the headlight setup is the active bi-xenon - auto leveling one, as in I don't have an adjustment inside on the dash for them.

Everytime I start the car, it's usually pointing at the house and I can see them both go down and up each time, suggesting both motors are working up and down.

Would this be what you refer to or will I do as you suggest anyway ? And if so how would I go about doing that ?

Thank you !
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 22:26   #4
dingov70
Master Member

Yup they are the ones , the up & down is system check . After that the sensors monitor the attitude of the car front to rear and alter lights to maintain level beam pattern .

You will find the sensors fixed to a suspension arm or close to it , usully on one side only
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 23:20   #5
ferg55

You could try changing the battery, it worked for me when this message appeared (I had poor start problems too).
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 00:27   #6
rob s80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Yup they are the ones , the up & down is system check . After that the sensors monitor the attitude of the car front to rear and alter lights to maintain level beam pattern .

You will find the sensors fixed to a suspension arm or close to it , usully on one side only
Oh right , ok so, is there a correct procedure for calibrating the sensor then or how does one do that ?

@ferg55

Thanks ferg, but had a new battery put in recently, when I got the car it had a battery in it that was smaller than OE so I got the correct one in. Never an issue with starting or low power etc. Thankfully !
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 06:31   #7
dingov70
Master Member

NO idea about calibrating , but would think that any decent diagnostic scanner would have the abililty to perform calibration . Vide & Dice definately Snap-on pretty sure they can as well . they may well be fit & forget & self calibrate
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 09:50   #8
Model flyer
Master Member

The front sensor is fitted to the front off side wishbone with a plastic link arm connected with a small ball joint at each end. Easy to check and change. Not sure weather a new one would need calibrating.
My V70 started showing the same warning every time I started it but was caused by a failing battery,worth checking first.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos

Last edited by Model flyer; Jul 15th, 2019 at 09:53.
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 08:32   #9
TerryU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
The front sensor is fitted to the front off side wishbone with a plastic link arm connected with a small ball joint at each end. Easy to check and change. Not sure weather a new one would need calibrating.
My V70 started showing the same warning every time I started it but was caused by a failing battery,worth checking first.
Would you have any pics of the sensor to clearly identify it ?

I have this issue with a “ new to me “ xc70 and I’m trying to resolve faults/ issues...
Cheers...

By the way ... I love this car already and I’m pi55ed that I didn’t have one before now!
Terry
TerryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 08:08   #10
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryU View Post
Would you have any pics of the sensor to clearly identify it ?
It looks similar to this. Turn wheels full lock to the right then look under r/h wheel arch in front of drive train. You will note that it was made by Ford as it bears the dreaded FoMoCo logo.

Quote:
I have this issue with a “ new to me “ xc70 and I’m trying to resolve faults/ issues...
Cheers...
Have you access to Vida? If so, just bear in mind that any DTC you have is because of failed communication from the sensor via the HCM which communicates this to the CEM.

Ironically a friend has a similar issue and I was looking through Vida yesterday. There is a work through to test Voltage and grounds at the line of the connector. I don't have it to hand for the pin numbers as I've loaned my Vida to him but it refers to 5 volt supply on I think pins 1 & 4 (check this !!!)and gives the pin numbers to check the grounds. It also describes that the resistance at the sensor pins should give a linear ohm reading when moved through its full range.

Be open minded to an issue at the HCM underneath the headlamp. Another forum user identified a HCM issue but I can't find that post. I do know that they identified that a replacement HCM substitute from a BMW that is cheaper than the Volvo unit but identical in operation. See here...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headlight...y/362699110483

That said, the sensor under the arch is subject to water and road grime and over enthusiastic jet washer hero's - remove the connector and check for corrosion.

If you do identify the sensor to be at fault I can only suggest getting the numbers from it, which will be Ford part numbers, and then ring Volvo and Ford as a comparison for price.

Quote:
By the way ... I love this car already and I’m pi55ed that I didn’t have one before now!
Terry
...and so you should be

Last edited by 37 RUBY; Nov 23rd, 2020 at 08:11.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote