Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ongoing no start 940 and other woes!

Views : 1703

Replies : 120

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 09:22   #101
vickyg
Member
 

Last Online: Today 08:11
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Penzance
Default

No leaks! 1500C fire sealant, piece of cladco roofing and 2 jubilee clips. I like to do a quality job ;-)
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 17:30   #102
vickyg
Member
 

Last Online: Today 08:11
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Penzance
Default Washer pumps

I spoke too soon, getting ready for MOT I find the washers aren't working. Not blocked, pump(s) seem seized. It looks like there are two pumps, assuming front and rear. Not sure which is which as neither work. The easiest to remove I bench tested and it clunks mostly, tried to spin but whines and dies. To remove the other look like I need to get the airbox out and I haven't time before Friday morning so looks like MOT needs cancelling. Also need the new pumps which as ever are hens teeth and will need to come mail order. Sad.
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 17:40   #103
kiloran
Member
 

Last Online: Today 09:09
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Fordingbridge
Default

Yeah, I've got that booster. Very popular with younger cousins. I believe the 940 was the first production car to have that feature. And it doesn't interfere with the always amazing Volvo seat fold solution. Perfection, like the bonnet hinges.
__________________
'93MY Volvo 940SE 2l Petrol Manual non-a/c
kiloran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kiloran For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 19:15   #104
griston64
Premier Member
 
griston64's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 15:38
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lenzie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
I spoke too soon, getting ready for MOT I find the washers aren't working. Not blocked, pump(s) seem seized. It looks like there are two pumps, assuming front and rear. Not sure which is which as neither work. The easiest to remove I bench tested and it clunks mostly, tried to spin but whines and dies. To remove the other look like I need to get the airbox out and I haven't time before Friday morning so looks like MOT needs cancelling. Also need the new pumps which as ever are hens teeth and will need to come mail order. Sad.
Luke ( 360 Beast ) might have a washer bottle with pumps
__________________
V70 D5 SE Geartronic 215bhp Saville Grey 2012MY
940 LPT Manual 1996
740 SE 1990
V70 P80 2000
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 19:51   #105
vickyg
Member
 

Last Online: Today 08:11
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Penzance
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Luke ( 360 Beast ) might have a washer bottle with pumps
I decided not to be defeated, took the pump to the bench and ran it backwards on a 12 volt supply. It now works! Ok so it moos like a cow in a labour but it's spraying water on the windscreen. MOT is ON!

Now the question I have is does this car have two washer pumps? It would appear to have a second one also mounted within the reservoir (to the left). But the second one isn't working. The one I fried comes on for front and rear (MOO) but I have no water from the rear. Not overly fussed as not an MOT fail but would like to understand what the second pump is for.
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 20:05   #106
Dippydog
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 10:05
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: S****horpe
Default

Headlamp washers??
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 20:28   #107
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 11:35
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
I decided not to be defeated, took the pump to the bench and ran it backwards on a 12 volt supply. It now works! Ok so it moos like a cow in a labour but it's spraying water on the windscreen. MOT is ON!

Now the question I have is does this car have two washer pumps? It would appear to have a second one also mounted within the reservoir (to the left). But the second one isn't working. The one I fried comes on for front and rear (MOO) but I have no water from the rear. Not overly fussed as not an MOT fail but would like to understand what the second pump is for.
If it's an estate, the front washer pump serves the screen and headlamps, the other serves the rear screen and is operated by pushing the end of thr wiper stalk/button on the end.
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 10:11   #108
vickyg
Member
 

Last Online: Today 08:11
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Penzance
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If it's an estate, the front washer pump serves the screen and headlamps, the other serves the rear screen and is operated by pushing the end of thr wiper stalk/button on the end.
Yes this was my understanding. This 940 of course likes to be a bit different!! Now the handbrake is binding, this MOT is proving to be a skin of the teeth job...!
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 10:21   #109
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 11:35
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
Yes this was my understanding. This 940 of course likes to be a bit different!! Now the handbrake is binding, this MOT is proving to be a skin of the teeth job...!
Shunt it back and forth several times using the handbrake to stop sharply, that usually cures it. Handbrake should be fully on after adjustment at 3-5 clicks but can be up to 11 clicks between adjustment - there is still reserve travel on the lever even on 11 clicks.

The adjuster is behind the rear ashtray/seatbelt warning panel in the back end of the centre console. Lever up the bottom of that paneland pull it out then look in and you should see and certainly be able to feel the large plastic nut for adjustment - clockwise as viewed tightens the cable, anti-clock loosens it and it can be done by hand without the need for a spanner.


It's possible someone has removed the headlamp washer tubing from the screenwash pump, i noticed ECP have rear pumps in stock so that may be an option. The plugs aren't interchangeable so you'd have to use the rear wash button and swap the hoses on the pumps to get fluid from the front washers when you press the rear button. Might be an idea to temporarily remove the rear wiper so it doesn't rub dry over the rear window. THere is nothing in the MoT that says the button the manufacturer used is the one that has to be used for the test, just put a post-it note on the dash for the tester that the front screenwash works off the rear screenwash button. Wiping is a separate thing, the wipers can still be operated using the flick wipe or by switching on for a few seconds to clean the screen when using the screenwash.
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 10:46   #110
vickyg
Member
 

Last Online: Today 08:11
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Penzance
Default

Thanks, tried shunting already but no joy. Will hope to slack off slightly and fingers crossed will work. The rear wiper doesn't touch the glass currently, spring worn so not too fussed. I just want that MOT tomorrow and then I can look at luxuries
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:53.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.