Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024883

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2020, 06:51   #1431
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Wasn't going to comment on this as it's a valid method, certainly for distributors with points and condensor inside but what's inside yours Alan?

The Hall Effect sensor for the electronic ignition.

You may get away with it but i wouldn't risk it, espceially as spare HE sensors are stored in the shop next to the unicorn horns and hens teeth.
I see Dave - so you think just sticking with the WMP and gentle persuasion over a long period plan would be best?

I'm in no rush whatsoever as the timing is correct now and will not change, so I've taken to applying an artists' paintbrush full of WMP after every time I take the RB out (most days). The capillary action sucks WMP into the shaft so it must eventually get to where it is needed. I'll keep doing that until the winter break and then try that big plumber's wrench I bought on the base of the distributor again.

This has probably been a victim of its own success in a sense. Because the RB has had electronic ignition (Bosch JHFUD4 from a 1984-7 240) - probably for three decades - no one has needed to adjust it, except perhaps at cam belt change time (it may only be on its third of fourth one at 108,000 miles). Those bits of cast iron and aluminium have lived in the same close proximity for maybe 30 years and have developed a pretty close bond.

This is not a problem that needs fixing with any urgency whatsoever, even if the timing needed to be adjusted it can be done (but is very stiff at the moment).

If it doesn't free itself with WMP by next spring then a good time to fix this might be if I change to a 4 speed auto box after 1 April next year when the RB will be safely registered as an historic vehicle (I don't want to risk some civil servant from Swansea telling me my vehicle has been 'significantly modified' and so doesn't qualify). That would be a good time to pull out the engine and transmission together and do any other remedial work that might be useful to both at the same time (I'm thinking crank seals and gaskets, maybe even rings and big ends to see the car fit for another 100,000 miles).

As always, many thanks for your help and advice chaps,

Alan.

Last edited by Othen; Jul 11th, 2020 at 06:53.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 08:02   #1432
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
Wasn't going to comment on this as it's a valid method, certainly for distributors with points and condensor inside but what's inside yours Alan?

The Hall Effect sensor for the electronic ignition.

You may get away with it but i wouldn't risk it, espceially as spare HE sensors are stored in the shop next to the unicorn horns and hens teeth.
Fair comment- certainly wise to proceed with care when parts are no longer available...

There are other ways of freeing it, as discussed- and if the engine and gearbox are removed from the car at some point then everything will be easier anyway.

No doubt Othen will let us know what works

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 10:25   #1433
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Fair comment- certainly wise to proceed with care when parts are no longer available...

There are other ways of freeing it, as discussed- and if the engine and gearbox are removed from the car at some point then everything will be easier anyway.

No doubt Othen will let us know what works

Cheers
Many thanks for your advice Bugjam and LS,

I'll try the softly-softly approach first. If that doesn't work I suspect the engine will come out for one reason or another in the next 5 years. It looks like it would be an easy job on the bench.

:-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 06:53   #1434
Othen
Premier Member

Nothing much to report on the project this week. I had noticed the RB had developed a small oil leak on the right side of the engine. A little investigation of the usual suspects soon identified the culprit: the cam cover gasket. I had taken it off to check the valve clearances some weeks ago and taken a chance on not fitting a new gasket, the old one looked okay.

No matter, I had a spare anyway and got the new one fitted in about 15 minutes. The oil is staying inside the motor again now - which is nice.

Old Jul 13th, 2020, 10:20   #1435
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Oil's well that ends well, Alan!! J.
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 11:06   #1436
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Nothing much to report on the project this week. I had noticed the RB had developed a small oil leak on the right side of the engine. A little investigation of the usual suspects soon identified the culprit: the cam cover gasket. I had taken it off to check the valve clearances some weeks ago and taken a chance on not fitting a new gasket, the old one looked okay.

No matter, I had a spare anyway and got the new one fitted in about 15 minutes. The oil is staying inside the motor again now - which is nice.

Always good to have the oil where it should be Alan! You're reminding me i need to do mine - valve clearances and rocker cover gaskets. Not quite so simple on mine though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 16:21   #1437
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Oil's well that ends well, Alan!! J.
Very clever pun :-)

I have just taken the RB out for a run (just because it is a nice car to drive on a slightly miserable afternoon). I checked under the car afterwards and - not a drop of oil. I think that is quite an achievement for a 40 year old red block.

Alan
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 16:36   #1438
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Always good to have the oil where it should be Alan! You're reminding me i need to do mine - valve clearances and rocker cover gaskets. Not quite so simple on mine though!
Yes, a 5 minute job on the slant 4.

Alan
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 16:56   #1439
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Yes, a 5 minute job on the slant 4.

Alan
On mine, i have to remove the A/C compressor on the right hand side first. Then remove both rocker covers.

Valve clearance adjustment is relatively simplt with normal adjusters.

Once adjusted, i then have to clean the mating faces of the rocker covers (and the heads too of course) and then get the gasket paper out - 2x 500 x 200mm approximately. Using carpet spray glue on one side of the paper and then stick the rocker cover to it and let it dry, then cut out the middle, trim the edges and then use the ball end of a ball-pein hammer to tap the edges of the bolt holes and punch the holes through for the bolts.

Then "Haynes it"!

Rough guess, about an hour to strip down to where i can actually see the adjusters, an hour to do the adjustment, an hour (including glue drying time) to make the gaskets, clean everything up and another hour to refit everything.

Might sound excessive but i've left a few stages out (like marking and removing the HT leads and plugs) and knowing this car and the amount of stupid bodges i've found over the time i've owned it, i have no doubt whatsoever it will throw me some curved balls.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 17:43   #1440
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
On mine, i have to remove the A/C compressor on the right hand side first. Then remove both rocker covers.

Valve clearance adjustment is relatively simplt with normal adjusters.

Once adjusted, i then have to clean the mating faces of the rocker covers (and the heads too of course) and then get the gasket paper out - 2x 500 x 200mm approximately. Using carpet spray glue on one side of the paper and then stick the rocker cover to it and let it dry, then cut out the middle, trim the edges and then use the ball end of a ball-pein hammer to tap the edges of the bolt holes and punch the holes through for the bolts.

Then "Haynes it"!

Rough guess, about an hour to strip down to where i can actually see the adjusters, an hour to do the adjustment, an hour (including glue drying time) to make the gaskets, clean everything up and another hour to refit everything.

Might sound excessive but i've left a few stages out (like marking and removing the HT leads and plugs) and knowing this car and the amount of stupid bodges i've found over the time i've owned it, i have no doubt whatsoever it will throw me some curved balls.
I'm guessing by normal adjusters you mean it has screw adjustable tappets Dave? That makes it much easier if you do need to alter something. The B21 has buckets and shims.

When I adjusted them I took the cam off to do it, but there is an easier way if I could manufacture a tool like the one in the BofH. I'm thinking all I need is a wedge, maybe about 10mm thick steel or aluminium, that would hold the open valve in place as I rotated the camshaft enough to get the shim out with a magnet (and so swap it). I could probably make a cardboard template the next time I have the cam cover off and then fashion a metal tool with a grinder and hand files.

There is a Volvo tool (#5022) to do this, but the BofH shows a tool like the one I'm envisaging (photo 31.6 in my book).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 13th, 2020 at 18:00.