Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil leak

Views : 1560

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 15:49   #1
George Holmer

Another oil leak, this time it seems to me to be coming from the end of the oil stick. This is a 440 1.7 carb. Any ideas what to do?

George

George

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'89 440 GL 1.7 (Looking for Turbo)
Old Jul 30th, 2002, 15:53   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Oil leak

Do you mean the end of the dipstick that you grab hold of to pull it out with? If so then cahnge the rubber seal and it should stop. They do deteriorate over time.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2002, 16:01   #3
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Before you do that though, thoroughly check and clean the crankcase ventilation hoses. Excess crankcase pressure can cause oil leaks of the type you describe. Dribbling from the dipstick, dipstick popping out etc.

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2002, 19:26   #4
George Holmer

I'll both of those things but is not there, it is at the other end, where the pipe for the dipstick meets the sump.

George

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'89 440 GL 1.7 (Looking for Turbo)
Old Jul 31st, 2002, 00:43   #5
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Just a thought, george, but does the dipstick tube have a screw thread to fix it into the block? If it is a push fit perhaps a light tap with a small hammer with a bit of wood or plastic to prevent deformation of the tube might be the answer. It has to be fixed semi-permanently somehow.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:30   #6
Dan F
Premier Member

I have never even thought about the seal down there before! There must be one, or is it just screwed/welded in place?
I have never had a leak from there in all the 440s I have had so I wonder what may have caused that?
Perhaps as Peter says it may have been deformed by someone pulling too hard on it or by someone trying to get something off the engine and using the pipe to lever on or something....?
What are you going to do if it comes out?
Knowing Volvo parts I bet you cannot get a replacement tube......without the rest of the engine attached.... :P

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2002, 16:56   #7
Mav_UK

If the 1.7 is what the 1.8 is based on then Renault should have part (and cheaper too....), thinking of your previous comments about the car could you not just clean and hylomar the joint at the bottom of the dip stick tube?

Chat Later

Stu