Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM on 2001 V70

Views : 12211

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2014, 23:12   #11
cralst

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIvolvo View Post
I wouldn't worry about this at all. This happened to mine recently - I fixed it properly with a replcement contactless sensor.

Transformed the car and was done for less than a tank of Petrol!

I have the sensors available, so if it gets worse let me know and I'll sort you out with one.

For the record my V70 has done 195,000miles it used to do mainly motorway which means the throttle didn't wear out as fast, I know of school run mum cars getting less than 100,000 due to increased throttle use.
Do you still have any of these contactless throttle position sensors? I was considering cleaning the etm which I believe is only a temporary fix, would the contactless sensor be a permanent fix? How easy is it to do and the final question, how much would you want for the contactless throttle position sensor? Sorry I hope that isn't too many questions.
cralst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cralst For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 12:10   #12
Vetvolvo

Unhappy

Hi All. It has taken a while but finally found a recent thread which may be relevant. Hope someone can help.

Bought a 2001 V70 2.4 petrol automatic for £900 a year ago 125k on the clock. Love it.

Changed ABS modulation unit.. all good. Then starter started sticking. So changed for breakers part about 4 weeks ago with the help of a mechanically minded friend.

Ever since then all sorts of problems. Basically will not start well when warm. Also hunting for revs at idle. Both problems seem intermittent. My friend has a diagnostics gizmo. Initially said crankshaft position sensor. Changed for genuine Volvo part. Problem still there. But also then temperature gauge stopped working. Replaced thermostat. Temp gauge working, still wont start warm.

Took to independent garage. ECT sensor fault. Replaced still won't start warm.

Took to Volvo. Said could not replicate the fault. Said could be MAF sensor, or camshaft position sensor. Found breakers CAM sensor, fitted problem persists.

Now doing research wondering if this could be the ETM due to the hunting but does it explain the non start from warm??

Any suggestions gratefully received as this is driving me nuts and my wife refusing to drive it in case it completely fails to start if she takes it somewhere.
Vetvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2016, 17:21   #13
kawhusstihl

Thumbs up Volvo XC70 2.4T 2001

I had hunting problem with moto marelli etm on 2.4T petrol,remove etm from car,buy a tooth brush and a tin of Valvoline carb cleaner,clean the venturi til its all shiny,refit and problem sorted,2 years later idles sweetly.
kawhusstihl is offline   Reply With Quote