Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrical problem

Views : 805

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2008, 23:41   #1
nickabel

Default Electrical problem

Hi, I've got an annoying problem on my 1995 1.8 460. No power to the radio, clock, or glovebox light, and interior lights.

I've checked the relevant fuses and they are ok (tried them with a multimeter and also replaced them). I've also checked the relays in the relay box under the bonnet and they are all working. I've checked the wiring and everything is connected ok, no resistance. I've put 12v through the brown and red wire from the back of the fuse box to the radio and then everything works. I've checked the loom at the back of the fusebox thinking a wire had come adrift but everything looks ok. Could anyone do me a favour, and look behind their fusebox and tell me which wires are attached to fuses 21, 2, and 28 please. It looks as if the supply from the relays runs down the centre of the fuse box and then the supplies to components run from the outer edges, but there is a black connecting wire between fuses 21 and 22 which look as if it should provide a live feed, but turns out to be an earth. If all else fails I'll just have to connect from a known live, but I'm a bit reluctant to do this. The Haynes manual shows the radio powered by fuse 8 which is incorrect.

Many thanks,
regards,
Nick
nickabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 15:52   #2
M D E
Master Member

Default Electrical issue !

Hi I had exactly the same problem and did the same checks ..... Yesterday I ended up running a new 12v feed direct from the battery to the non fused side of fuse no.22 which in turn feeds no.21. I now have power to all the equipment you listed.

I think there's a break in the main wiring loom so the Large Red wire feeding no.22 is also the supply to no.21. Once connection was made my info center also jumped into life ! ....Good luck !
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M D E For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 20:56   #3
B20F
Master Member

Check if the brown wire behind the radio is still connected. It also feeds some dash functions.