Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol smell near carbon canister (EVAP)

Views : 812

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 11:43   #1
Musicus
New Member
 

Last Online: Oct 28th, 2019 11:55
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Default Petrol smell near carbon canister (EVAP)

I have terrible smell in my car while waiting at a traffic light. The smell comes from the carbon canister. The hoses look good (didn't remove the bumper, but had the car on a car lift). Perhaps the canister is full? Or there is a problem with the purge valve?
The car starts good, no problems running idle, just a terrible smell in the interieur.

Any good idea's?
Musicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 14:34   #2
druid
V40 Owner
 
druid's Avatar
 

Last Online: Nov 18th, 2019 02:06
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tonyrefail, Souh Wales.
Default

The only thing i can think of is "have you over filled the tank?"
__________________

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 17:10   #3
Musicus
New Member
 

Last Online: Oct 28th, 2019 11:55
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Default

Don't really know. When the filling stops I always give it another shot til the next stop. I've got the problem for a long time now. The fulness of the tank doesn't make a difference.

I've read a lot about the filler cap, but does it have any influence? The rubber looks dry so perhaps it doesn't close properly, but the smell is from the canister (and sucked in by the fan)

Can a bad purge valve causes gas fumes escape from the canister when idling?

sorry for my bad english
Musicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 19:09   #4
druid
V40 Owner
 
druid's Avatar
 

Last Online: Nov 18th, 2019 02:06
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tonyrefail, Souh Wales.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicus View Post
Don't really know.

When the filling stops I always give it another shot til the next stop.

I've got the problem for a long time now. The fulness of the tank doesn't make a difference.

I've read a lot about the filler cap, but does it have any influence? The rubber looks dry so perhaps it doesn't close properly, but the smell is from the canister (and sucked in by the fan)

Can a bad purge valve causes gas fumes escape from the canister when idling?

sorry for my bad english
That might do it!
Till it clicks and no more! I have seen some posts about it here so a search should help.
__________________

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 19:19   #5
skyship007
Premier Member
 
skyship007's Avatar
 

Last Online: May 2nd, 2018 08:14
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DownSouth
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicus View Post
I have terrible smell in my car while waiting at a traffic light. The smell comes from the carbon canister. The hoses look good (didn't remove the bumper, but had the car on a car lift). Perhaps the canister is full? Or there is a problem with the purge valve?
The car starts good, no problems running idle, just a terrible smell in the interieur.

Any good idea's?
Umm, does it smell of petrol or are you one of the DPF afflicted that has a hole ??

PS: It might help if we knew which engine your V40 classic has.
__________________
2003 V40 1.9TD Mods: Scratches, bent bumpers, raised REAR mats & internal mud guards.
SHELL ULTRA 5/40 & LIQUI MOLY CERATEC.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 19:38   #6
Musicus
New Member
 

Last Online: Oct 28th, 2019 11:55
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post

PS: It might help if we knew which engine your V40 classic has.
Sorry. It's a 2004 V40 2.0
Musicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 19:46   #7
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 16:09
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicus View Post
I have terrible smell in my car while waiting at a traffic light. The smell comes from the carbon canister. The hoses look good (didn't remove the bumper, but had the car on a car lift). Perhaps the canister is full? Or there is a problem with the purge valve?
The car starts good, no problems running idle, just a terrible smell in the interieur.

Any good idea's?
I have seen a saturated one on a 440 once , the control valve lets the cannister vent into the inlet manifold when idling you can hear it turning on and off , pulsing , the air going through the canister from the tank should evaporate any fuel off if it is working .
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 20:28   #8
Musicus
New Member
 

Last Online: Oct 28th, 2019 11:55
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
when idling you can hear it turning on and off , pulsing , the air going through the canister from the tank should evaporate any fuel off if it is working .
Are you sure? I thought the solenoid valve is closed when idling. It only opens when driving. This is from a Dutch forum:

Vadis:

EVAP is the EVAPorative control system which processes the petrol vapour in the fuel tank. These gases harm the environment.
The car has a canister with a carbon filter which can absorb a large quantity of petrol vapour while the vehicle is standing in the sun (when a lot of fuel evaporates). The vapour is then introduced into the combustion process during driving.
To control this process there is a solenoid valve mounted on the canister which is operated by the engine control module (ECM).
While the car is stationary the valve is closed, but there is a connection to the fuel tank.
When the car is being driven the valve opens when engine coolant temperature (ECT) exceeds +60C and the intake air temperature (IAT) exceeds −10C. A connection is then made with the engine intake manifold. The valve is operated by an 8 Hz pulsed signal.
While the canister is open the injection times are adjusted with the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) providing feedback. The system is adaptive, so that the canister can be completely purged. Even at wide open throttle (WOT) (oxygen sensor not working) the system remains in operation.
Musicus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Musicus For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 20:32   #9
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 16:09
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicus View Post
Are you sure? I thought the solenoid valve is closed when idling. It only opens when driving. This is from a Dutch forum:

Vadis:

EVAP is the EVAPorative control system which processes the petrol vapour in the fuel tank. These gases harm the environment.
The car has a canister with a carbon filter which can absorb a large quantity of petrol vapour while the vehicle is standing in the sun (when a lot of fuel evaporates). The vapour is then introduced into the combustion process during driving.
To control this process there is a solenoid valve mounted on the canister which is operated by the engine control module (ECM).
While the car is stationary the valve is closed, but there is a connection to the fuel tank.
When the car is being driven the valve opens when engine coolant temperature (ECT) exceeds +60C and the intake air temperature (IAT) exceeds −10C. A connection is then made with the engine intake manifold. The valve is operated by an 8 Hz pulsed signal.
While the canister is open the injection times are adjusted with the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) providing feedback. The system is adaptive, so that the canister can be completely purged. Even at wide open throttle (WOT) (oxygen sensor not working) the system remains in operation.
the 440 you could hear the vale opening and shutting it wasnt 8 hz more like 3 hz ... anyway is it working? that is the question :-)
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clan For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 20:54   #10
Musicus
New Member
 

Last Online: Oct 28th, 2019 11:55
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
anyway is it working? that is the question :-)
Well, I don't know. Stupid question, how can I check it? Where is the valve located on a 2004 2.0 non turbo?
Musicus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Musicus For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:29.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.