Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99/ C70 '97-'05 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting more keys

Views : 730

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2019, 13:57   #1
StatusRed
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 23:13
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Glasgow
Question Getting more keys

Hi,

My summer project car (1999 C70 Coupé 2.4i) arrived on Sunday with 1 key. - This key looks very simple (photo to follow) with no remote locking..

I assume at some point this car had a key with remote locking, unless it wasn't standard? - When running VIDA on the car it's reporting thar 3 keys are registered to it.

I also assume that there's some sort of immobiliser inside this key, but could someone please confirm?

What I'd like to do is get 1 or 2 additional keys made, even better if it would be possible to get them with remote locking, but I don't want to break the bank! What would I need to do to make this happen?

Thanks.
__________________
2009 S40 SE Lux 2.0i | 1999 C70 Coupé 2.4i

e-Focus torque mount | Retrofitted undertray | Painted brake calipers | Braided steel brake lines
Previous: 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 15:38   #2
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 21:38
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Hi,

My summer project car (1999 C70 Coupé 2.4i) arrived on Sunday with 1 key. - This key looks very simple (photo to follow) with no remote locking..

I assume at some point this car had a key with remote locking, unless it wasn't standard? - When running VIDA on the car it's reporting thar 3 keys are registered to it.

I also assume that there's some sort of immobiliser inside this key, but could someone please confirm?

What I'd like to do is get 1 or 2 additional keys made, even better if it would be possible to get them with remote locking, but I don't want to break the bank! What would I need to do to make this happen?

Thanks.
you need a volvo dealer to sort this for you ... If the car is a 1999 with a blue front grille badge software is needed to do the job , I would get 2 keys and remotes in case you loose one as the car is useless without them . Have you tried locking both doors with the key you have? Often the key barrel shaft breaks after 20 years meaning the key will not lock or unlock .
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 16:25   #3
StatusRed
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 23:13
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Glasgow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you need a volvo dealer to sort this for you ... If the car is a 1999 with a blue front grille badge software is needed to do the job , I would get 2 keys and remotes in case you loose one as the car is useless without them . Have you tried locking both doors with the key you have? Often the key barrel shaft breaks after 20 years meaning the key will not lock or unlock .
Hi Clan,

So a VIDA laptop couldn't do this? Can any money be saved by buying used keys or blanks etc.?

The car only has 2 locks (driver's side door and boot).
__________________
2009 S40 SE Lux 2.0i | 1999 C70 Coupé 2.4i

e-Focus torque mount | Retrofitted undertray | Painted brake calipers | Braided steel brake lines
Previous: 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 19:42   #4
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 21:38
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Hi Clan,

So a VIDA laptop couldn't do this? Can any money be saved by buying used keys or blanks etc.?

The car only has 2 locks (driver's side door and boot).
No and No basically .
volvo have one of the most secure key and remote systems in the industry only dealers have access to the codes from the factory , and everything is documented , who does what and when and where ... a remote can only be programmed once and can not be reprogrammed after 1999.

i remember now they deleted the passenger door lock barrel around 1998 i believe .
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 20:02   #5
Tetleysmooth
Master Member
 
Tetleysmooth's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 15:45
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rainham, Essex
Default

Try Timpsons first, before you go to the dealers.
Timpsons normally have small shops on the larger Tesco sites.
Tetleysmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 08:26   #6
StatusRed
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 23:13
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Glasgow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No and No basically .
volvo have one of the most secure key and remote systems in the industry only dealers have access to the codes from the factory , and everything is documented , who does what and when and where ... a remote can only be programmed once and can not be reprogrammed after 1999.

i remember now they deleted the passenger door lock barrel around 1998 i believe .
OK, I'll give the dealers a call later for a quote thanks. Do you know what sort of money to expect to get this done?

I also noticed that the remote locking fuse has blown, do you think this might be somehow related to the car only having 1 key supplied without a remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetleysmooth View Post
Try Timpsons first, before you go to the dealers.
Timpsons normally have small shops on the larger Tesco sites.
How will that help if what Clan says is true? Wouldn't they only be able to cut me a key to physically get into the car, but then the key wouldn't work to start the engine etc?
__________________
2009 S40 SE Lux 2.0i | 1999 C70 Coupé 2.4i

e-Focus torque mount | Retrofitted undertray | Painted brake calipers | Braided steel brake lines
Previous: 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 08:46   #7
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986
 
john.wigley's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 00:27
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leicestershire
Default

It will not be cheap, 'StatusRed'. I had a similar issue with my V70 when I bought it almost 3 years ago. At the time, a local 'Indi' quoted me as follows:

!st key + fob + software, including VAT - £220
2nd key - ditto - £176

Alternatively:
Key only (it embodies an immobiliser chip) - £134
2nd key - ditto - £91

I think this is why so many of these cars are supplied with only one key. I appreciate that good C70s are worth more than well used V70s, but with the latter new keys can exceed the value of the car!

Regards, John.
__________________
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana .....
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 08:58   #8
ASt85
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 19:01
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Medway....Kent
Default

I recently replaced the central control locking unit of my 2005 C70 with a unit from a breaker that came complete with 2 key fobs - try "Minty" on this forum

{His contact details can be found here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2939820}

The C70 (850 based) uses the same unit 1998 to 2005. If you buy a second hand unit, that unit should come with the fob(s) which will be coded to it. The unit is a straight swap over and takes only a few minutes to do depending upon how easy you find it to get in under the dash. The unit you are looking for is shown in the picture below.

[IMG][/IMG]

To check which unit you need use a mirror and torch to establish which unit you have - if you slide off the unit from its bracket without removing the multi-plugs it has just enough slack on the cables to be able to read the part number which makes sure you get the right replacement - you don't even need to slide it back on the bracket - it will just hang there on the cables until you can get a replacement. It is easier to plug connectors in to the replaceemnt before you slide it back on the bracket.
__________________
The saddest moment is when the one who gave you the best memories....becomes a MEMORY

V70 SE 2004 T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, V70 2001 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander
Sold 1st Volvo was a 1994 850GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; May 8th, 2019 at 09:02.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2019, 08:59   #9
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 21:38
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
It will not be cheap, 'StatusRed'. I had a similar issue with my V70 when I bought it almost 3 years ago. At the time, a local 'Indi' quoted me as follows:

!st key + fob + software, including VAT - £220
2nd key - ditto - £176

Alternatively:
Key only (it embodies an immobiliser chip) - £134
2nd key - ditto - £91

I think this is why so many of these cars are supplied with only one key. I appreciate that good C70s are worth more than well used V70s, but with the latter new keys can exceed the value of the car!

Regards, John.

With all due respect , what does that have to do with it ? That makes no difference to the equation unless you are selling the car .... Says me who has been spending more on my car than it is worth for the last 40 years :-)
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:36   #10
Luxobarge
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:15
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Horne (Nr. Horley)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Hi,

even better if it would be possible to get them with remote locking,
Just to clarify, these cars were never supplied with remote locking integral to the key - remote locking is on a separate fob, and is therefore an entirely separate issue. You quite rightly want spare keys, but it's also a good idea to have at least one spare fob too, as they can be a pain to code or repair if you don't have one working one.

The key has a chip in it to de-activate the immobiliser, this is detected by an antenna ring around the ignition barrel. It's immobiliser only, and again is a separate system from the alarm, which is set by the fob.
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies, they serve no useful purpose but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.
Luxobarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luxobarge For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
c70, key, keys, remote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:11.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.