Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Autodim Mirror

Views : 3533

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2014, 19:53   #1
bradams

Default Autodim Mirror

Just picked up my new V40; taking a bit of getting used to after my trusty S40 of many years. Inevitably I'm making comparisons although they are the same SE spec.

I was very disappointed that it seems price list 'Options' cannot be fitted other than at the factory, even including the likes of changing a silly aerosol can for a proper spare (spacesaver) wheel!

So, job number one - an autodim rear view mirror. I'll bet on it being a straight swap, but has anyone done it?

Cheers to all who read this, and thanks to any who reply.
bradams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 20:49   #2
OldCroc

I would be interested in this as well - but perhaps not as optomistic as you!
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 08:21   #3
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradams View Post
I was very disappointed that it seems price list 'Options' cannot be fitted other than at the factory, even including the likes of changing a silly aerosol can for a proper spare (spacesaver) wheel!

So, job number one - an autodim rear view mirror. I'll bet on it being a straight swap, but has anyone done it?
Manufacturers have always broken extras down into 'options' (factory fit) and 'accessories' (dealer fit).

You can usually find the Volvo instructions online for replacing parts, and it'll let you know there if you need software as well (most changes on Volvo's these days do!). If it needs software = expensive trip to dealers.
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 10:49   #4
bradams

I've been informed by Volvo (via Lookers, Colchester - thanks) that it is not possible to fit a genuine Volvo autodimming mirror (but I would still try it if I didn't have to shell out for it on a limb - no-one will tell me if the mirror needs any special wiring or circuitry other than 12v), so I am going to fit a universal Gentex unit.

Next problem is removing the existing mirror. Anybody know how to do it? I cannot see any bolts or screws (yet!) beyond the first plastic shroud. How does the main shroud (covering the City Safety sensor) come off?

Any clues much appreciated - I think the problem is that this car is too new for anyone to have seriously tinkered with it yet.
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 11:48   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
I've been informed by Volvo (via Lookers, Colchester - thanks) that it is not possible to fit a genuine Volvo autodimming mirror (but I would still try it if I didn't have to shell out for it on a limb - no-one will tell me if the mirror needs any special wiring or circuitry other than 12v), so I am going to fit a universal Gentex unit.

Next problem is removing the existing mirror. Anybody know how to do it? I cannot see any bolts or screws (yet!) beyond the first plastic shroud. How does the main shroud (covering the City Safety sensor) come off?

Any clues much appreciated - I think the problem is that this car is too new for anyone to have seriously tinkered with it yet.
I imagine the V40 is the same as other late Volvos, although not 100% sure. Simply prise the little plastic bit on the the black surround and then lift off the whole cover. The mirror is attached to a nut on the screen,turn the mirror(edit - its the arm thats attached to the nut) and it should unscrew. Have a go, let me know how you get on with it.

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Nov 20th, 2014 at 11:54.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 12:31   #6
bradams

Thanks, Volvorocks, but "the little plastic bit" is off and there is now a BIG plastic bit (the main pod) preventing me from moving the mirror arm. Also, I am wary of anything bonded to the screen (especially without being able to see it). Which way does it unscrew? Is it as simple as that?
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 02:18   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Thanks, Volvorocks, but "the little plastic bit" is off and there is now a BIG plastic bit (the main pod) preventing me from moving the mirror arm. Also, I am wary of anything bonded to the screen (especially without being able to see it). Which way does it unscrew? Is it as simple as that?
Ref the main plastic pod cowl (on S60/XC60) - just grasp it, wiggle it and yank it off. It is held in with little clips, that clip on and clip off. Perhaps you can post some pics to see if V40 is different? As I say on XC60 the actual mirror including arm is just a half turn to take off and a half turn to fix back onto the windscreen nut.

Check this out for V40
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...813-%29%202015

Same as XC60 although points 9-16 can be ignored!
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...lt/XC60%202015

Regards
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 09:48   #8
bradams

Smile

Great response, Volvorocks. The V40 Accessories link not only showed how the shroud comes off but also mentioned the need for a software session, which I had suspected.

Crucially, however, it shows a diagram for removing a "manual" mirror (and its different electrical connector) as well as an "autodiming" mirror!! Methinks I'll be taking a printout in to my dealer!
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 16:53   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Great response, Volvorocks. The V40 Accessories link not only showed how the shroud comes off but also mentioned the need for a software session, which I had suspected.

Crucially, however, it shows a diagram for removing a "manual" mirror (and its different electrical connector) as well as an "autodiming" mirror!! Methinks I'll be taking a printout in to my dealer!
Hi Bradams

I believe the image is of an auto mirror,for both the 40 & 60 as shown ie no flick tab underneath.

Regards the need for software, I believe that is for the homelink, as per example, not the mirror.

On the mirror there is a connector which I believe provides the current for the auto dim facility, so if that wire was not connected, the mirror would simply just not dim.

Regards
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 12:35   #10
villarsch

Hello Bradams,
Like you, I have ordered my V40 from Lookers. I note that the autodimming mirror is a £150 option. I found that even then the mirror had no compass or Homelink, the latter being very useful to open and close garage doors from the car. (It can also turn off house alarms.) But in ordr to get these features I first had to specify the auotodim option and then pay a further vast sum to get the Homelink/compass accessory! No wonder Volvo can afford to give VOC members such good discounts.
How long did you have to wait foryour V40 to be delivered? Mine will not be at Lookers until late January.

Regards,
Villarsch
villarsch is offline   Reply With Quote