Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General > 300/66 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

5 Speed gear box and/or diff for 340 1.4

Views : 1740

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 21:04   #1
olliehood

Default 5 Speed gear box and/or diff for 340 1.4

Hey guys i have a 1988 340 1.4 and want a 5 speed gearbox for it mate and a diff to match if possible but not necessary ?

Would need it shipped to edinburgh so price including this would be great ?

Cheers
olliehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 14:44   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Email sent.

Regards Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 16:46   #3
olliehood

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Email sent.

Regards Dai
Think I have one local mate cheers does the 1.4 5 speed 1.7 5 speed and diffs match and can be fitted in any way ? What's the best way to do it do you have to do anything apart from switch across

Cheers mate
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 17:03   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

They are the ame but gear ratio' do vary. Make sure you get all the linkages etc.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 17:40   #5
olliehood

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
They are the ame but gear ratio' do vary. Make sure you get all the linkages etc.
So whats the best option heard from some people it stunts the power a lot with a 5 speed ?
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 17:45   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

I fitted a 1.7 5 speed M47R transaxle to my 1.4 1980 300 with the M45R about 20 years ago it is a direct swap , even the linkage fits , it cost me £5 ! The gear ratios of the gears are the same with 5th being an overdrive .

The final drive in the 343 was 3.9:1 , the one in the 1.7 is 3.64:1 so the gearing generaly was higher giving a relaxed drive at lower rpm with less torque of course , you dont have to use 5th gear but where you can it is worthwhile .

The final drive in your 1988 1.4 should be the same as the 1.7 ie 3.64:1 there will be a white label on the transaxle stating the final drive ratio .

Some data below .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo 300 axle ratio.JPG (157.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg volvo 300 gear ratio.JPG (50.2 KB, 2 views)
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 17:54   #7
olliehood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I fitted a 1.7 5 speed M47R transaxle to my 1.4 1980 300 with the M45R about 20 years ago it is a direct swap , even the linkage fits , it cost me £5 ! The gear ratios of the gears are the same with 5th being an overdrive .

The final drive in the 343 was 3.9:1 , the one in the 1.7 is 3.64:1 so the gearing generaly was higher giving a relaxed drive at lower rpm with less torque of course , you dont have to use 5th gear but where you can it is worthwhile .

The final drive in your 1988 1.4 should be the same as the 1.7 ie 3.64:1 there will be a white label on the transaxle stating the final drive ratio .

Some data below .....
Thanks very much mate a brilliant help. Is there any way of releasing some power from the 1.4 engine jetting carb up or any tricks of the trade ?

Thanks very much
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 18:56   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Regarding the 1.4 yes you can do a few things , i have an engine i rebuilt with parts from an old hemi head Renault Gordini 1400 , it produces 93 bhp with a lot more available with further work . Then there is the 1400 150 bhp Renault 5 turbo you could use this engine with some mods .This works fantasticly with the CVT transmission !
But to be realistic you would be better off fitting the standard 80 bhp 1.7 which goes very well and uses less fuel , again a bolt in job , but more road tax . A more modern and powerful Renault fuel injection version would fit too such as the range from the volvo 400 . .