Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1773126

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 18:45   #1
Othen
Premier Member

Default New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

I am a Volvo owner again! My very first brand new car was a Volvo 240 estate, way back in 1985. I liked that car and drove it for several years until my job moved to Cyprus.

I've always fancied owning a similar car and today bought a 244 saloon from a chap in Brum, here is a photo:

I quite like the green colour, although I'm not sure about some of the additions, and I have a few questions that perhaps other forum members might be able to answer:

1. I'm guessing the black stripes are not original, would that be right? You may notice the chromed surround to the windscreen is not fitted, the PO has supplied it (it is on the back seat at the moment), it is in good condition, but needs some clips to re-fit it - from where might I obtain the right clips?

2. I suspect the wing mirrors are not original, would that be correct? Actually I don't mind them, and if I removed them I'd probably be left with a couple of holes on the wings, so they will probably stay:

3. I also suspect this Volvo badge on the front of the bonnet is not original?

4. The same for this spoiler on the boot:

5. ... and this one on the back of the roof:

6. I quite like the wheels, and they have been recently repainted. I have no idea whether they are the originals or not, but they look the part:

Underneath the car looks as solid as a rock - there is no sign of corrosion anywhere and the exhaust looks quite new. The brakes have been replaced all round (pads and discs), and the PO tells me he has changed the springs and dampers (to adjustable Koni ones) all round - I'll jack it up and have a look tomorrow.

The car runs pretty well, it cruised the 65 miles back from Brum at good motorway speeds, steers and handles well and brakes in a straight like. The auto gearbox seems fine (as fine as a 3 speeder can be).

Most things seem to work apart from:

1. The rev counter.

2. There is an annoying rattle from somewhere below the instruments at low speeds - I'm thinking this may not be unconnected with the rev counter not working.

3. The fuel gauge seems a bit inaccurate - it was still reading a quarter full when I ran out of gas 2 miles from my home (fortunately a passing police speed camera van operator stopped to give me a hand). It may be the float was just stuck because the car had been off the road for a while - it registers okay now I've filled up).

4. I have a question about the heater fan - should it work without the ignition being switched on (it does)? I suspect it should not, and someone may have wired it to a permanent live feed - the same seems to be the case for the Sony radio - so these two issues may not be unconnected.

I'll probably find lots of other things that need sorting when I have a chance to look over the car, but that is all for now.

I think this will be just the right car for me: a strong runner with a MoT and no rot whatsoever. It will be 40 years old in a few months, and so may be registered as an historic vehicle in April 2021 (no more road tax!), which is a bonus.

If anyone has a moment to comment on my questions I'd appreciate that very much.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 5th, 2020 at 19:03.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 20:08   #2
Othen
Premier Member

... I've just popped down to the grocery store to check out the lights and noticed:

1. The interior light doesn't work - well the manual switch does, so there is power getting to the light, but opening the doors has no effect - might be the switches, might be something else - I'll investigate.

2. None of the fog lamps seem to work - unless there is some hidden switch?

3. The instrument lights are blue, and a bit dim. Maybe there is a switch to adjust them somewhere?

4. The headlamps seem to be a bit pathetic - or maybe I'm just judging them by modern standards? Maybe there is an easy fix (better bulbs?).

Here is another photo I took earlier:

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 20:22   #3
Othen
Premier Member

... and one more thing: the indicators seem to be flashing rather fast. It does the same thing both sides and all the bulbs seem to be illuminating - the really irritating seat belt warning lights seems to flash at the same speed, so I'm guessing it uses the same repeater. All this points to the repeater relay being at fault - I'll check it out tomorrow.

Any advice, comment or answers to any of the points above would be much appreciated.

Alan
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 05:19   #4
Othen
Premier Member

... I've just noticed that Photobucket has become almost useless since I last used it, so here is a test to see if Google Photos works better for some of the pictures I posted above:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c1ZyN4jvrvtu8w5v6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mwJFLWLfUc2XPgXJ6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X3GZHAcRnKawLDLEA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dp3Sbc36DNKBaob58

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8bSixaHp44QNXAgS6

... well, that sort of works, except the links rather than the images shown. Does anyone know how to post images from Google Photos?

Let's see of Imgur is any better:

Last edited by Othen; Feb 6th, 2020 at 07:23. Reason: Post photos
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 10:00   #5
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I am a Volvo owner again! My very first brand new car was a Volvo 240 estate, way back in 1985. I liked that car and drove it for several years until my job moved to Cyprus.

I've always fancied owning a similar car and today bought a 244 saloon from a chap in Brum, here is a photo:

I quite like the green colour, although I'm not sure about some of the additions, and I have a few questions that perhaps other forum members might be able to answer:

1. I'm guessing the black stripes are not original, would that be right? You may notice the chromed surround to the windscreen is not fitted, the PO has supplied it (it is on the back seat at the moment), it is in good condition, but needs some clips to re-fit it - from where might I obtain the right clips?

2. I suspect the wing mirrors are not original, would that be correct? Actually I don't mind them, and if I removed them I'd probably be left with a couple of holes on the wings, so they will probably stay:

3. I also suspect this Volvo badge on the front of the bonnet is not original?

4. The same for this spoiler on the boot:

5. ... and this one on the back of the roof:

6. I quite like the wheels, and they have been recently repainted. I have no idea whether they are the originals or not, but they look the part:

Underneath the car looks as solid as a rock - there is no sign of corrosion anywhere and the exhaust looks quite new. The brakes have been replaced all round (pads and discs), and the PO tells me he has changed the springs and dampers (to adjustable Koni ones) all round - I'll jack it up and have a look tomorrow.

The car runs pretty well, it cruised the 65 miles back from Brum at good motorway speeds, steers and handles well and brakes in a straight like. The auto gearbox seems fine (as fine as a 3 speeder can be).

Most things seem to work apart from:

1. The rev counter.

2. There is an annoying rattle from somewhere below the instruments at low speeds - I'm thinking this may not be unconnected with the rev counter not working.

3. The fuel gauge seems a bit inaccurate - it was still reading a quarter full when I ran out of gas 2 miles from my home (fortunately a passing police speed camera van operator stopped to give me a hand). It may be the float was just stuck because the car had been off the road for a while - it registers okay now I've filled up).

4. I have a question about the heater fan - should it work without the ignition being switched on (it does)? I suspect it should not, and someone may have wired it to a permanent live feed - the same seems to be the case for the Sony radio - so these two issues may not be unconnected.

I'll probably find lots of other things that need sorting when I have a chance to look over the car, but that is all for now.

I think this will be just the right car for me: a strong runner with a MoT and no rot whatsoever. It will be 40 years old in a few months, and so may be registered as an historic vehicle in April 2021 (no more road tax!), which is a bonus.

If anyone has a moment to comment on my questions I'd appreciate that very much.

Alan
Nice car, though some of the bits are definitely non-standard.

Taking them in no particular order:

The alloys are Volvo "Virgos", normally found on GLT models so perfectly acceptable as an "upgrade". They will take 195/65/15 rubber if you need to replace the tyres.
The heater fan, wipers, horn and radio are normally on an accessory-live circuit: with the key in the ignition turn it to position 2 and they should operate; position 3 brings up the warning lights for ignition etc.
The door mirrors, stripes and roof-mounted abomination are definitely non-standard; the boot-spoiler might be a dealer-fit part - I don't know but have seen a couple of 240 saloon with something similar.
The front fog lights are after-market - you'll probably have to trace their wiring to find out where they're powered from. The rear fog lamps should come on with any lights - DRL, side, dip or main beam at that age.
Thetwin-tail pipe extension is also an after-market bit, as are the "Volvo 244GL" legends on the mud-flaps.
There's a panel-lighting rheostat on the instrument binnacle.
The headlamps might benefit from new reflectors; there are threads detailing the replacement process.
The indicators/hazard lights/seat-belt warnnig do share a common relay - check that it's properly seated and that the seat-belt buckles are properly seated in the latches and the latches are properly earthed
Courtesy light door switches do fail; remove them one by one, spray with contact cleaner and re-fit.

Do the timing belt - as it's a B21 engine you won't need the crankshaft locking tool - and replace the auxiliary belts at the same time.

If it's a B21A it should have a Pierburg CDSU175 carburettor so check the needle, jet assembly and diaphragm are OK and keep the dashpot topped up with ATF or 3-in-1 oil. If it's a B21E it's fuel-injected so carry a spare fuel pump relay.

Check the sun roof opens and, more importantly, closes flush to the roof; if it sits down at either or both rear edges then re-open it a couple of inches and re-close it with one hand helping to lift and guide it into place. Then take off the winding handle and give it a spray of silicon or white grease.

Oh, and enjoy driving it!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 10:59   #6
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Nice car, though some of the bits are definitely non-standard.

Taking them in no particular order:

The alloys are Volvo "Virgos", normally found on GLT models so perfectly acceptable as an "upgrade". They will take 195/65/15 rubber if you need to replace the tyres.
The heater fan, wipers, horn and radio are normally on an accessory-live circuit: with the key in the ignition turn it to position 2 and they should operate; position 3 brings up the warning lights for ignition etc.
The door mirrors, stripes and roof-mounted abomination are definitely non-standard; the boot-spoiler might be a dealer-fit part - I don't know but have seen a couple of 240 saloon with something similar.
The front fog lights are after-market - you'll probably have to trace their wiring to find out where they're powered from. The rear fog lamps should come on with any lights - DRL, side, dip or main beam at that age.
Thetwin-tail pipe extension is also an after-market bit, as are the "Volvo 244GL" legends on the mud-flaps.
There's a panel-lighting rheostat on the instrument binnacle.
The headlamps might benefit from new reflectors; there are threads detailing the replacement process.
The indicators/hazard lights/seat-belt warnnig do share a common relay - check that it's properly seated and that the seat-belt buckles are properly seated in the latches and the latches are properly earthed
Courtesy light door switches do fail; remove them one by one, spray with contact cleaner and re-fit.

Do the timing belt - as it's a B21 engine you won't need the crankshaft locking tool - and replace the auxiliary belts at the same time.

If it's a B21A it should have a Pierburg CDSU175 carburettor so check the needle, jet assembly and diaphragm are OK and keep the dashpot topped up with ATF or 3-in-1 oil. If it's a B21E it's fuel-injected so carry a spare fuel pump relay.

Check the sun roof opens and, more importantly, closes flush to the roof; if it sits down at either or both rear edges then re-open it a couple of inches and re-close it with one hand helping to lift and guide it into place. Then take off the winding handle and give it a spray of silicon or white grease.

Oh, and enjoy driving it!
Wonderful, that is exactly the start I needed.

I like the wheels, I'm pleased they are acceptable Volvo items. The tyres are all okay, but 4 different manufacturers, so I'll get them reconciled into a good set soon.

The fan works on the '0' position of the key (so without the key) - so I suspect someone has mixed up some wires. I suspect that may have happened when someone fitted the Sony radio and confused the permanent and switched wires (perhaps the one to the clock?). I'll sort it out sometime now I know what is supposed to happen.

I think I can live with the stripes (they look quite professionally done, and some time ago so the green paint may have faded around them), the wing mirrors and the boot spoiler. The thing on the roof will have to go - so it will be out with mu son's hairdryer when we get a nice day.

I found the switch for the fog lights today (not the one marked 'front fog lights', but another illuminated one next to it) - they all work fine, which is nice. I'll probably change the switches back to standard sometime.

I have found the instrument lights rheostat - many thanks.

I'll have a look at the headlamps today - they seem to work fine, so I wonder if it is just an alignment problem. I have the specification in a nice Autodata repair manual that I bought second hand for a fiver.

I've ordered a new flasher relay, I'll also check the bulbs today - they all illuminate but if someone has fitted the wrong wattage that might spook the relay. I'm sure it won't be a difficult issue to fix - the same with the interior lamp.

The cambelt was changed at 100,000 miles - and there is still a reminder on the cover to change it again at 150,000. The car has covered 106,000 now, and I suspect it will only do 2,000/year with me, so the next one will probably be changed due to time rather than mileage.

The engine is a B21A with a Pierburg CDSU175 carburettor. In the spares that came with the car I found a packet marked 'diaphragm' (well, it was spelled phonetically, but that is what it meant), which I suspect will fit somewhere inside the carburettor. There were quite a few spares with the car, some now, some used, but all useful on a 40 year old:

The car does indeed seem to have new brakes, springs and adjustable Koni shock absorbers all round. The PO seems to have spent good money in some places.

I'd rather like to re-fit the chrome windscreen surround, the PO told me it just needed some clips, I wonder, would these be the right ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240...53.m1438.l2649

The sunroof seems very good - opens and closes easily and sits well. I'll attend to the lubrication as you say.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the car for the money (a couple of grand). There is just enough wrong with it to give me something to do, but it runs well and is really solid. I don't need it for transport of course (like everyone that buys a 40 year old car - I have 2 other cars and 4 motorbikes), but it is great fun to drive around in a 40 year old car.

Many thanks for your help.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 6th, 2020 at 11:02.
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 13:15   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Hello Othen. I like your car. I think that one has lots going for it.

A few ittle practical suggestions.

Cam Belt. It should be changed more often than the sticker suggests. Someone will remember the detail. But it is distance or time whichever comes first. If in doubt, change it. The genuine Volvo belt is cheap by the way.

Headlights. The reflectors will corrode. Begin to prepare now by, spraying the headlight securing nuts with a good penetrating oil at regular intervals. Plus Gas. Three nuts per headlight. Those nuts corrode adn if not kept lubricated then when you come to undo them the studs which are hex head screws, get ina tix wox needing lots of work to sort out. If you keep those nuts sprayed with Plus Gs at regulare intervals, they should undo easy as pie when you need to undo them.

Bonnet hinges. Lubricate them. I use white grease. Three or four points per hinge. If they are not lubricated. Eventually one will bend. Oops...

Alternator belt adjusters. Does your engine have long screwed adjusters for the belts? You guessed it. Lubricate those.

And beware the little heater hoses from near the back of the engine to the bulkhead. Usually neglected. If in doubt well worth replacing.

Enjoy !!!

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Feb 6th, 2020 at 13:17.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 14:15   #8
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Hello Othen. I like your car. I think that one has lots going for it.

A few ittle practical suggestions.

Cam Belt. It should be changed more often than the sticker suggests. Someone will remember the detail. But it is distance or time whichever comes first. If in doubt, change it. The genuine Volvo belt is cheap by the way.

Headlights. The reflectors will corrode. Begin to prepare now by, spraying the headlight securing nuts with a good penetrating oil at regular intervals. Plus Gas. Three nuts per headlight. Those nuts corrode adn if not kept lubricated then when you come to undo them the studs which are hex head screws, get ina tix wox needing lots of work to sort out. If you keep those nuts sprayed with Plus Gs at regulare intervals, they should undo easy as pie when you need to undo them.

Bonnet hinges. Lubricate them. I use white grease. Three or four points per hinge. If they are not lubricated. Eventually one will bend. Oops...

Alternator belt adjusters. Does your engine have long screwed adjusters for the belts? You guessed it. Lubricate those.

And beware the little heater hoses from near the back of the engine to the bulkhead. Usually neglected. If in doubt well worth replacing.

Enjoy !!!

Super... more good advice.

The cam belt: I agree, the belt has only done 6,000 miles, but that has taken 4 years. It is a simple enough job and as you say, the Volvo belts are cheap. I'll probably do it during next winter's maintenance period.

I've spent a few hours going over the car today, lots of lubrication: WD40, penetrating oil, silicone grease and Vasaline in different places. I had not thought of the bonnet hinges though, thank you.

I've got the interior light working - 5 minutes with a screwdriver and a tin of electrical contact cleaner and all 4 work. As an added bonus the beeper relay now tells me when I've left a door open (I think I'll be removing that relay from somewhere under the instruments though - it is a bit annoying).

I topped up the fluids, then Bob (the dog) and I went out for a spin - everything seems to be bedding in quite nicely. I just have the rev counter to fix (superfluous on a car like this, but it will just irritate me if I don't mend it) and the switched/permanent wiring mix up to sort out for the fan and the radio. I'd also quite like to get the windscreen surround re-fitted.

I'm planning to run the car pretty well as it is, but probably return it back to standard as far as makes sense. I took the silly spoiler off the roof this morn, it has left a mess of glue and double sided tape to clean up. I'll get all the fluids changed this week when the filters arrive.

I like the car as it is, once it is tidied up I think it will make an interesting and durable historic car that my son and I (and Bob the dog) can enjoy for years. I don't think it is going to cost much to run, the insurance only cost £85 including the RAC breakdown cover and next year it will be tax free.

I'm really pleased with my new Volvo - and it is quite nostalgic driving a 240 again after 30 years.

Alan
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 15:00   #9
Othen
Premier Member

If there is a moderator reading perhaps you would delete the huge photo in my post #6? I'm still experimenting with image hosting sites and didn't realise I should have re-sized the image before posting it here.

Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 14:27   #10
Othen
Premier Member

... an update:
1. The turn signals flash at a normal rate now, the culprit was the relay, which arrived in the mail this morn.
2. The headlamp wiper blades are replaced (no rubber left on the old ones) and one of the wipers even works (I'll have a look at the other one next week).
3. The Sony radio is now fitted and wired up properly - it turns on and off at position II of the key. Why do people bodge things?
4. I've reverted back to the original mud flaps - much smarted and they don't drag on the ground when reversing.

The Royal Barge is becoming a really nice car to drive - as long as one doesn't try to go too fast :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: