Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46537

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2020, 12:17   #241
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
I'm getting on with the antifreeze today tho the boy's not here - the weather's looking grim later in the week. At the moment it's sat on the drive, cooling after removal of old coolant and refill with water from hose, and 45 mins drive.

Quick question - once the engine's cool, is it best to remove the bottom rad hose again to drain water and the flushing fluid before removing the thermostat housing? It'd save water spilling all over the shop?
Yes Chris, put a bucket (I use a washing up bowl from £land) under the radiator bottom hose (where the x-member runs) and direct the bottom hose into it. After that (it empties fairly quickly) you can take the thermostat cover off.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 12:25   #242
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
I'm getting on with the antifreeze today tho the boy's not here - the weather's looking grim later in the week. At the moment it's sat on the drive, cooling after removal of old coolant and refill with water from hose, and 45 mins drive.

Quick question - once the engine's cool, is it best to remove the bottom rad hose again to drain water and the flushing fluid before removing the thermostat housing? It'd save water spilling all over the shop?
The amount of water/flushing agent you'd lose from simply removing the 'stat housing to get the 'stat out is minimal Chris.

The flushing agent needs to stay in until flushed out with clean water, hence leaving the hose running for half an hour or more once the water runs clean from the rad top hose stub.

Follow the procedure as laid out and you won't have any problems.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 12:27   #243
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Yes Chris, put a bucket (I use a washing up bowl from £land) under the radiator bottom hose (where the x-member runs) and direct the bottom hose into it. After that (it empties fairly quickly) you can take the thermostat cover off.

Alan
No! See my response and also the original method Alan!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 13:48   #244
Chris152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The amount of water/flushing agent you'd lose from simply removing the 'stat housing to get the 'stat out is minimal Chris.

The flushing agent needs to stay in until flushed out with clean water, hence leaving the hose running for half an hour or more once the water runs clean from the rad top hose stub.

Follow the procedure as laid out and you won't have any problems.
Ok, thanks both - and pleased I don't have to drain again tbh, my bucket's a bit tall and I had to jack the front up to get it under the radiator to let the old antifreeze out.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 16:22   #245
Chris152

Job done, all seems to be fine. I took it for a good drive and no obvious leaks or anything disturbing, stat works fine, now parked facing up a slight incline ready for any topping up (the level dropped slightly on the run, but still within the guides).

Thank you!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 17:29   #246
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
No! See my response and also the original method Alan!
... what Dave says - my mistake.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 17:42   #247
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Great news Chris! Like Alan mentioned earlier, as time goes by and you learn things, you'll be the one giving the advice and wondering why you were worried at this stage.
Besides the knowledge which you're gaining fast, it's only confidence holding you back from trying new things and unless i'm mistaken, your confidence should be growing by now and well done you for giving things a try!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 11:31   #248
Chris152

Morning all!
Got delayed the past week by a bug - went for a test Saturday, negative result through Sunday, bit of a relief!

Anyway, we've just sprayed nuts ready for the various ball joint changes, all parts here and raring to go this weekend, all being well.

In the meantime, we want to spray the nuts allowing us to change the headlamp reflectors and hopefully get one housing straightened up (see second pic - larger gap between the lamp and bonnet on the right, we've measured and it's pretty clear the housing position's at fault - tho the bonnet that side is also slightly up in relation to the wing).
Am I right thinking that to remove the headlamp and housing we need to undo the nut behind the plastic covers, as in No 1 in the first pic? And No 2 is for alignment? If so, how come there's a plastic cover on the nut?!

Thanks, C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_9932.jpg (193.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_9933.jpg (198.4 KB, 27 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 11:50   #249
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The right hand headlamp looks fine to me Chris :

The left one looks like it's dropped a fair bit though, #2 in your pic is an adjuster for the alignment and no idea why those aftermarket-looking covers are on the threads. Presumably someones attempt at protecting the thread from rusting.

I'd completely remove the left hand indicator/sidelight before trying to move the headlamp up though and then refit it afterwards once you've loosened the mounting nuts and pushed the headlamp up and tightened the nuts again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 11:56   #250
Chris152

Thanks Dave - I'm obviously getting my lefts and rights confused! Tho I think I've finally learned what near and far side mean...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post: