Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

hydrogen powered 240

Views : 4696

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:29   #1
d_taddei2

Default hydrogen powered 240

hi i have recently converted my 240 gl to run on hydrogen (with alittle petrol of course) havent driven it long enough to so how many miles i get to the tank, but the guy who fitted it reckons 60+ mpg, i hope so with the current fuel prices, if people are interested in photos etc then i will post some on site, the fuel distributor had to be turned down so low the mechanic that did it was very impressed how far he could turn it down, normally it wasnt possible for a car to be turned down so low with conking out. also will keep you updated on any pros and cons. has anyone else done something similar????? or please share your views

dom
d_taddei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:39   #2
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default hydrgen

this is very interesting.

keep us informed.

Do you want to tell us what costs were involved???
did you buy a ready made hydogen installation??

You can answer in PM if you want
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:49   #3
d_taddei2

Default reply

the costs differ on different cars and number of cells but £250-£300 should cover it but could be less if you do the work yourself, there is not kit available i think, mines was homemade by an engineer who done it to around 20 cars and all have good words. ive got 4 cells on mine, all you need to do is top it up (not much) every 4,000-6,000 miles(sometimes more) with distilled water and bicarbonate soda, and your fine. one guy got 80mpg with a 1.2 petrol lol, its best done on cars that havent got a cat/sensors, but there is ways to get round it but easier if it doesnt have one as the sensors etc cant read the hydrogen.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:22   #4
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default hydrogen

there is not kit available i think---

amaricans sell kitts-

though in the end it is not high tech that you cant do it yourself.

Do you have contact details from the engineer that made your kit?????

can you send and receive PM???

what is the car you had done???

I have a 2.3 carburettor 240

znd a 740 2.3 carb
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:35   #5
yragyrag90

What?

£300 for like 4x the mpg I'm roughly getting?

Me next.
yragyrag90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 13:15   #6
d_taddei2

Default reply

hi yeah think i can get PM. think if you did it yourself you could do it for around £160ish. the car is in for its mot just now get it back friday or monday, so will be able to fill the tank up, set trip to zero and see how many miles i get to the tank be interesting as i was only getting 250 approx to a tank(not good) mines is a volvo 240 gl 1989 2ltr (think its b200e) if to a you had one with lamba sensor i reckon you could remove it etc heard some people on put it back to a non cat car. the car temp runs alittle hotter than it did before due to hydrogen burning hotter, but not into over heating territory, although this was before i had it adjust on the kryptor computer so might be better now. its not a new concept just not many cars have been converted due to it being used and tested on non cat cars due the sensors/cats etc. not many people these days drive non cat cars, unless your like me, who also drives a triumph acclaim triomatic, and a trabant p601 (2 stroke engine).

also the engineer told me that someone put 20 cells onto a generator cant even start to imagine how many mpg thats getting looooool. I dont really want to give out the engineers number as i would have to ask him first. but any Q's i can relay if i cant answer them, he lives in the scottish borders (like i do ) if anyone is nearby or willing to travel i am sure he would do it if nobody wants to take on the task. the engineer does the hydrogen part and his mechanic does the fuel settings etc. the system is pretty homemade in the sense kilner jars are used to hold the water but homemade and alittle crudeness keeps the cost down and it works. engineer told me some company does sell something similar to keep the water and cells in but want £400 for it, and thats before you start buying the other parts. i am happy to give my number out if anybody wants to chat about it.

dom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_taddei2 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 13:56   #7
tannachyallen
240SE

Question

sounds too good to be true, especially when you think of the cost of an LPG conversion. Is there a zero missing off the end of your figures?! I'd be really interested to hear more and see some pics.

I've got rid of the cat on my machine but I still have a Lambda: that's nothing to do with the cat, it's for fuel mixture. Are you saying that this Hydrogen system won't work with a Lambda?

Cheers,

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 14:17   #8
d_taddei2

Default reply

possibly i got told that fuel mixture sensors wont be able to read it, but the engineer thinks if you can adjust the fuel mixture by hand then it shouldnt be a problem as he did do one and all he did was remove the sensor, but he did say some people cover it over. and that is the actual price no zeros to add lol. thats what i thought but i am going to see how i get on with it, like i said the only reason its not popular is due to the fact most people drive cat cars (more modern cars) i only drive old cars as i think there better. i once had a jaguar x type and i wasnt impressed with build quality, i got rid of it when i was only 7 years old as i started getting problems and rust began, which i think for a modern jag shouldnt happen considering i had cars 20+yrs old and no where as many rust/problems. my trabant only has 6 moving parts in the engine. lol

dom
The Following User Says Thank You to d_taddei2 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 15:38   #9
rusty244

This hydrogen power idea seems excellent if it works out for you- hope it does.

However, it seems to be at odds with the laws of thermodynamics. There are quite a few sites on the net which claim that this sort of thing is generally a scam, and it does really seem to be too good to be true. If these sort of MPG improvements could be put into place then car manufacturers would be all over it.

http://aardvark.co.nz/hho.shtml has some more info. Not sure if yours is a similar setup?
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 18:32   #10
d_taddei2

Default reply

hi yeah ive seen the sites before, but i dont think my friend would rip me off, secondly he has done around 20 cars with all good feed back, the car doesnt run completely off hydrogen it still uses petrol just less of it which gives you the fuel saving, but time will tell i suppose. and aparently a few years back an american engineer did look to sell the idea etc apparently an oil firm bought the rites and shelved them idea being not much profit in water as its pretty much free, like here in scotland. whether this is true of not i cant be sure, but i have seen articles on the net saying cars firms are looking into the technology. but for now if it works and the government hasnt taxed it yet then it must be a saving, like said will have to see how it goes but what i do know is the mechanic had to reduce the amount petrol going through the fuel distributer to a level which a normal car wouldnt be able to run due to lack of fuel, and that was a local garage.

dom