Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027085

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2020, 19:16   #2021
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
If you can find a B230E from a 240 (essentially you'd be looking at/for the GLT model) it already has the block-mounted distributor fitted, so that's one fewer problem to solve if fuel-injection and normally aspirated is how you want to proceed.

I've got a 163k mile GLT but it's not (currently) for sale; I've been made aware of a 240 that might be available for breaking in the near future but don't know what spec engine it has.
Many thanks Loki,

This one seems to have the block mounted distributor, but it is a manual... and would be difficult to collect from Londonderry:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...gAAOSw8GZflymJ

Alan

A pallet from Londonderry to Corby is about £120, plus I'd still need a AW71 gearbox (but I could sell the manual) and maybe a manifold and carburettors... so maybe not this one.

Last edited by Othen; Nov 18th, 2020 at 19:29. Reason: Addition.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 12:23   #2022
Othen
Premier Member

Default Pholus Wheels (continued)

... This little 'finger' detail sander attachment showed up in the mail and has been invaluable for the front of the Pholus wheels (which are a bit fiddly):

With it the detail sanding really didn't take long this morn, so I gave the wheels a wash with some acetone and made up a small spray booth between two cabinets, lined with a polyethene dustsheet. I've primed the fronts, and I'm quite pleased with them so far:

... that is after two coats of the Autotek etch primer. I'll leave it 24 hours to harden and then prime the backs of the wheels tomorrow - if all goes well I should have the top coats complete on Sunday.

Then I will have to think about what to do with the wheels. I could just store them away for that day in a decade's time when the Virgo wheels need replacing, but I think the Pholus wheels will be too good to spend 10 years in the motorbike shed. My thinking is I'll get F1 Autocentre here in Corby (nice helpful chaps) to put some winter tyres on (£190/set, which I think is good).

I was going to SORN the RB from next month, but I suppose if I've invested in winter tyres I might as well run the motor car all winter (and it will be tax free from April, so the SORN will only save £75 - hardly worth it).

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Nov 19th, 2020 at 12:48. Reason: Spelling error.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 14:47   #2023
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks Loki,

This one seems to have the block mounted distributor, but it is a manual... and would be difficult to collect from Londonderry:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...gAAOSw8GZflymJ

Alan

A pallet from Londonderry to Corby is about £120, plus I'd still need a AW71 gearbox (but I could sell the manual) and maybe a manifold and carburettors... so maybe not this one.
That seems like a good deal Alan! I'm sure you could easily fit an AW71 on in place of the manual box and depending whether it's a 4 or 5 speed, sell it to offset the cost of the engine.

Also by adding an in-line high pressure pump and a return line to your tank (if needed, some K-Jets didn't), a feed for the warm up regulator and cold start injector (via it's thermoswitch) you've virtually got a turnkey swap. It should come with the V cam as well or i know Luke will have an M cam (not a V as i previously though) available which would also be suitable.

Swap your dizzy into it to retain the electronic ignition (unless that one already has it and it looks like it does), renew the broken/missing resilient mount on the fuel metering unit/distributor, new timing belt, oil/filter change, clean the PCV etc while it's all easily accessible on the pallet.

Those wheels are looking very good now! Interested in the finger sander and the power unit behind it, i have a palm/mouse detail sander but it's not that narrow, i also have a power file attachment for the angle grinder for small flat surfaces and some detail work but that finger looks useful!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 15:07   #2024
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Those wheels are looking very good now! Interested in the finger sander and the power unit behind it, i have a palm/mouse detail sander but it's not that narrow, i also have a power file attachment for the angle grinder for small flat surfaces and some detail work but that finger looks useful!
Many thanks Dave - I'll watch that engine/gearbox on eBay and see what happens.

Here is a link to the finger sander attachment on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75Pcs-Mix...53.m2749.l2648

... I would say a bargain for £8.99. It just fits on an ordinary end cut saw (sometimes calls a multi-tool I think) - an invaluable tool. I think this is the one I have (I suspect bought at some time Screwfix was having a sale):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-e...220-240v/622fx

The detail sanding only took perhaps 40 minutes with it.

Last edited by Othen; Nov 19th, 2020 at 15:11.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 16:30   #2025
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks Dave - I'll watch that engine/gearbox on eBay and see what happens.

Here is a link to the finger sander attachment on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75Pcs-Mix...53.m2749.l2648

... I would say a bargain for £8.99. It just fits on an ordinary end cut saw (sometimes calls a multi-tool I think) - an invaluable tool. I think this is the one I have (I suspect bought at some time Screwfix was having a sale):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-e...220-240v/622fx

The detail sanding only took perhaps 40 minutes with it.
Thanks Alan, i'll have a good look at those links later. It might be worth sniping that engine/box if it's something you think you can work with but either way, if you plan on placing a bid do it towards the end of the auction like in the last 30 seconds or just snipe it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 21:01   #2026
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
I know little about carbs or what might be suitable - but a couple of years ago I bought a weber 32/34 dmtl on a 740 inlet manifold (I think it was a 740 one) that had been set up for a b21a on a rolling road. I intended to fit it to the 1978 245 I owned at the time but didn't get around to it before I sold the car, so I didn't drive the car with it fitted. I've subsequently sold the carb to a friend, who also hasn't had a chance to fit it (yet).

Potentially another carb to look for Laird Scooby? Perhaps you can advise.

I managed to find a photo of it, which is attached.

CHeers
Many thanks for that lead, I’ve been in touch with the chap. It is a B230a, no idea of its condition but the guy thinks it turns and has a carburettor and a distributor. It has a 5 speeder attached. The problem is: it’s 516 miles each way to collect! It is a big risk, maybe it is rubbish, but the guy doesn’t want much for it.

I’m mulling it over.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 22:37   #2027
Bugjam1999
Master Member

No problem- I sold an engine a while back and the guy who bought had a dedicated pallet courier collect it, rather than a ‘normal’ courier. He said it was around £50, which is of course a lot less than the cost of going to get it personally.

Let us all know what you decide...

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 05:17   #2028
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
No problem- I sold an engine a while back and the guy who bought had a dedicated pallet courier collect it, rather than a ‘normal’ courier. He said it was around £50, which is of course a lot less than the cost of going to get it personally.

Let us all know what you decide...

Cheers
I’ll look into that. It is a long way north - probably an hour north of Inverness, so that is probably the only option. I’m not sure I’d fancy crossing the Cairngorms in December (by the time the lock down has finished) with a 3/4 ton trailer full of Volvo engine and gearbox!

It would be a huge risk, the seller seems a decent chap, but doesn't know anything about it. All the information I have is in this photo:

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 20th, 2020 at 06:08.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 09:22   #2029
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The photo isn't very enticing Alan! The other two things against it are it's a B230A and the distance you'd have to travel to collect it.

Old Nov 20th, 2020, 12:32   #2030
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The photo isn't very enticing Alan! The other two things against it are it's a B230A and the distance you'd have to travel to collect it.
I'm still considering it Dave - but I tending to conclude this one is not for me - a 1000 mile trip over 2 days, possibly to find a motor and gearbox that are no good.

I told the chap I'd get back to him within a few days.