Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

244dl on ebay for sale

Views : 1341

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2020, 22:34   #1
bult360

Default 244dl on ebay for sale

Recently purchased 244 dl now reluctantly for sale due to wife now refusing to drive an auto , gutted as it drives great and didnt miss a beat on the 400 mile trip home , it does have some body issues but nothing to worry about as the corrosion is on the extremities with wing tops sills windscreen panels and surrounds , shut panels etc all corrosion free , open to sensible offers or swap for a manual ! 07980633454
bult360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 00:25   #2
dmacl

Got a link to the ebay listing?
dmacl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmacl For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 10:17   #3
bult360

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacl View Post
Got a link to the ebay listing?
Not sure how to post a link but if you search volvo 244 in all categories it should come up if its just showing manuals set search to highest price and it should come up , if you want pics send me an email address
bult360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 20:50   #4
spitz

Default eBay link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-244...QAAOSwLzFfg3DD
spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitz For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 05:50   #5
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bult360 View Post
Not sure how to post a link but if you search volvo 244 in all categories it should come up if its just showing manuals set search to highest price and it should come up , if you want pics send me an email address
It looks like a nice car with a bit of rust in the usual places, but you have listed it (on eBay) under 'Sales brochures' so you may not get may bids. It might be a good idea to stop that auction and post the same again under 'Classic cars' - where it should sell fairly promptly.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 13th, 2020 at 06:11.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 16:33   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I like that car.

Re rust. It must need inspection, but any car would need inspection. The other big thing for a buyer is to find a bodyshop where they take a 240 seriously and do a good job.

I think those wheels have wheel trims, but at least they appear to be Volvo trims. Some buyers will go searching to find original stainless steel nave plates and clips and embellishers, and hope the wheels have holes for the clips. But that is just an aside. Not important for a sale. Sore point. I gave away a set of those wheels, clips, nave plates and embellishers, for a project.
I have not seen that member in the forum since ...

Again I like that car. My first Volvo was a T reg 244.

Auto? Well I have a manual and I reckon auto is good but we are all different.

Good luck with your sale. I do think it deserves to be "talked up a bit". Give a little more information.

But what do I know ... as it is ... it looks good. If I were looking to buy I would want to look at it.

Stephen

EDIT ... P.S. ... 400 mile trip home. I haven't compared threads. But. Is this the Portree car?

EDIT ...P.P.S ... I have just seen your post in the Portree car thread. I can see you must indeed be, gutted. I still like that car. If I were looking to buy ......

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 13th, 2020 at 16:45.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 05:49   #7
Othen
Premier Member

Default Sold?

I noticed the eBay auction had ended and the car sold for the opening bid (£1250). I thought that was a bit light for a running and riding 40 year old car - had it been advertised in the 'classic cars' section I thought it might have made something around 2 grand. I suppose that was a risk the OP thought worthwhile - save the £16 fee for a classified ad but lose a grand on the sale.

I had a closer look at the photos (photos are always a bit kinder than the naked eye) and concluded the car car quite a bit rougher than at first appeared. Once rust comes through to the outside it is generally far too late for the inside of the car, so perhaps the OP had realised it was a pup and was pleased to dispose of it at any price :-)

I wonder whether we will see the car, or the OP again here? I rather hope so in both cases. The car is almost certainly worth saving (although the welding and re-decorating might be a bit pricey) and it would be nice to think the OP's appetite for the venerable 244 has been whetted.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 19th, 2020 at 05:55.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 09:28   #8
Bugjam1999
Master Member

I had the car in my watch list as well and saw it sold for the opening bid- same as you I thought it was a bit light but again I looked closely at the photos too.

Amazingly enough, given how rare an early 244 with that interior is, there’s another on eBay- unfortunately listed as breaking only which seems like a bit of a shame.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154139969387

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 09:46   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
I had the car in my watch list as well and saw it sold for the opening bid- same as you I thought it was a bit light but again I looked closely at the photos too.

Amazingly enough, given how rare an early 244 with that interior is, there’s another on eBay- unfortunately listed as breaking only which seems like a bit of a shame.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154139969387

Cheers
I'd noticed that car for breaking as well. I agree it is a pity to break a car that looks okay, but judging by the OP's car if the retail value is only about a grand, then the parts will be worth much more. On the positive side, breaking that car might keep a dozen others on the road for a few more years.

The OP's car is probably right on the cusp between being worth saving and breaking for spares. The rust does seem to have got a hold, one could either patch things up and give it a rattle can finish for £100 - which would last a few years but would come back again, or have it fixed properly (it looked like 4 inner and outer wheel arches, a fabricated panel at the back - and I suspect new sills plus redecorating) - I don't suppose that could be done under £2500, but the car wouldn't be worth £4,000 afterwards. The engine bay of the red car seemed to have been messed around with as well, mixed plug leads and I couldn't see the transmission dipstick anywhere - so there might be quite a few other things to right as well.

It looks like the OP decided to cut his losses, so I suspect he found the car to be a pup when he got it home. I think it had been for sale at £3,000 (in Scotland) previously, we don't know how much the OP paid for it though.

Anyway, this is all conjecture - but it was interesting to see how strong (or weak) the market is for 40 year old 244s at the moment.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 19th, 2020 at 09:48.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 10:43   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'd noticed that car for breaking as well. I agree it is a pity to break a car that looks okay, but judging by the OP's car if the retail value is only about a grand, then the parts will be worth much more. On the positive side, breaking that car might keep a dozen others on the road for a few more years.

The OP's car is probably right on the cusp between being worth saving and breaking for spares. The rust does seem to have got a hold, one could either patch things up and give it a rattle can finish for £100 - which would last a few years but would come back again, or have it fixed properly (it looked like 4 inner and outer wheel arches, a fabricated panel at the back - and I suspect new sills plus redecorating) - I don't suppose that could be done under £2500, but the car wouldn't be worth £4,000 afterwards. The engine bay of the red car seemed to have been messed around with as well, mixed plug leads and I couldn't see the transmission dipstick anywhere - so there might be quite a few other things to right as well.

It looks like the OP decided to cut his losses, so I suspect he found the car to be a pup when he got it home. I think it had been for sale at £3,000 (in Scotland) previously, we don't know how much the OP paid for it though.

Anyway, this is all conjecture - but it was interesting to see how strong (or weak) the market is for 40 year old 244s at the moment.

Alan
I agree, Alan. And it is important to remember that it is a 40 year old car. On that alone it is not only a rare survivor but also indicative of just how far rust resistance has advanced in (relatively) recent years.

All ferrous metal will, ultimately, rust. The length of time before it's onset and severity will depend upon three things: i) the original quality of the steel, ii) the degree of rust-proofing and quality of finish, and iii) the extent of subsequent preventative maintenance. Factors i and ii are in the control of the maker (Volvo latterly made much of their deservedly good reputation for this in their marketing), factor iii is in the hands of the owner.

My own experience of early 2-series cars was mixed. Our '75 (N) rusted very badly - both front wings perforated along the tops at 9 - 10 years. I suspect that this was due in part to inferior steel and in part to the lack of wheel arch protectors. Our '78 (S) displayed no rust when we sold it at 18 years.

I bought my first car in 1965. It was a 15 (not 40) year old Ford. Outwardly tidy, it was full of filler, but as the car had a chassis frame, the bodywork was neither structural nor stressed, so a degree of superficial rust did not greatly matter. I paid £10 for the car, which would be around £200 today.

This was at a time when 30 - 40 year old cars such as the Austin 7 were either being given away or changing hands for around a fiver! Big, old cars were nigh on impossible to sell - I know of one 1930 Humber that rotted in a field because no-one wanted it. In relative terms, my first Ford, which was unarguably very much an 'old banger' is now five years younger than my present V70 - which most certainly is not!

Coming back to the subject of this thread, I agree with you that the rust is almost certainly well-advanced; whether the car is beyond saving only an in-depth inspection (as has already been suggested) would reveal. On the plus side, it is complete, remarkably original, and possessed of a decent interior. If I wanted a 244 and was confident in my abilities and resources to make good the rust (or knew of a good and trusted body-shop) I would consider it not an unworthy project.

Regards, John.