Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help! IAC causing no start in ‘93 940

Views : 5619

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2020, 12:11   #21
volvo always
Premier Member

Thanks to this great forum I got my 940 starting issues sorted

My 1996 940 turbo LPT it was the in tank pump that had died.

I as suggested gave it a 3 hits on the pump housing with a block of wood and hammer, while helper turning the key and it fired right up! He couldn't believe it. From totally dead to Alive!

I fitted the new in tank pump. Worst part of the job was the well rusty jubilee clips that wouldn't undue. Spent an hour removing and cutting the tank filler hose one, all the while not to damage anything.

My old thread,

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=311096&page=4

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Nov 14th, 2020 at 12:14.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 01:23   #22
swedishsledmafia

Finally got time to try it again (with the right connections this time haha) and still no joy! I guess next step now is to decide whether or not I wanna fix this now or put the car aside and do it in the spring, at least fuel pump isn’t too pricey but the job itself looks like a bit of an interesting time.

And good to know James, I had a quick read through your thread and we had the same kinda deal going on! I’ll bookmark that to read through again later.

Either way, I can’t be mad at this car. Too many good memories, I don’t regret buying a redblock whatsoever! Really appreciate all the pointers, info and help from everyone, this forum is a great resource

Cheers from Canada!
swedishsledmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swedishsledmafia For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 12:05   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishsledmafia View Post
Finally got time to try it again (with the right connections this time haha) and still no joy! I guess next step now is to decide whether or not I wanna fix this now or put the car aside and do it in the spring, at least fuel pump isn’t too pricey but the job itself looks like a bit of an interesting time.

And good to know James, I had a quick read through your thread and we had the same kinda deal going on! I’ll bookmark that to read through again later.

Either way, I can’t be mad at this car. Too many good memories, I don’t regret buying a redblock whatsoever! Really appreciate all the pointers, info and help from everyone, this forum is a great resource

Cheers from Canada!
I don't know what other transport you have available but i'd still feel inclined to bite the bullet and get it done sooner rather than later. Unless i'm very much mistaken you're at the southern end of the infamous "Highway Thru Hell" aka the Coquihalla Highway. I only know of it from seeing the TV series but if your weather gets anything like what they show on that, you might be very glad of a vehicle designed for those sort of conditions!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 17:55   #24
swedishsledmafia

Hahah I enjoy watching that show too. Yes it sure gets rowdy in the wintertime here, and I live in the BC Interior actually, at the northern end of that highway! I’m going to go look at a ‘96 N/A 850 today and if it seems in good enough shape and the guy is willing to lower the price I might buy that and run it for the winter months, and not put much $$ into it. It’s FWD so bit of a change but still somewhat of a Volvo box!
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 18:17   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I should really proof-read better, i had intended to say the "northern end" of that highway but i was thinking it was to the south of you - you can see where my brain cell went!

Not to worry, got there anyway!

I'm always dubios about FWD in the snow, i ahve a FWD car in addition to my 760GLE and if it's snowy/icy, i tend to avoid using it as it's just wheelspin all the way, even being gentle!
Not driven an 850 so can't comment on them but i have had many other FWD cars and this one is about the best in ice and snow so gives you an idea.
Many moons ago my first experience of driving in ice and snow was in a 144DL auto, tall skinny tyres and RWD meant i could just drive up hills that even Land-Rovers were struggling with! With FWD i'd have to reverse up them!

Let us know how the viewing of the 850 goes and your experience of it, especially if you have any snow etc - will be intersting to compare notes!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 03:25   #26
swedishsledmafia

Yeah I’ve driven FWD cars for last winter (I’ve only had my licence for over a year young guy here &#128514 and it was okay for the most part but definitely had to reverse out of some hills sometimes. I was looking forward to beasting the RWD 940 in the snow and ripping drifts like crazy but guess I’ll have to wait till next year.

I bought the 850 for my daily, it’s in pretty good shape. The guy wanted $1200 but I got him down to $950! Body is immaculate and no rust, everything works except for the drivers heated seat. I did a glove test on the engine to check the condition of the PCV system, and it seems good. It burns a bit of oil apparently but it doesn’t leak any. Engine sounds good, transmission shifts nice and it’s a nice ride, pretty different than the 940! I’m putting winters on it tomorrow because the tires right now are super bald. No snow in town right now but I might be headed to the ski hill this weekend so I’ll report how it goes haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishsledmafia For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 05:43   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sounds like you have a reasonably good buy in the 850, bald tyres aside!

Try adding 0.5L/1pt of synthetic ATF to the engine oil, should improve the oil burning and help free any sticky tappets and revive any weak oil seals.

When you do an oil/filter change, after refitting the sump plug, first add the same amount of ATF before topping up with a reasonable 10W40 semi-synthetic oil.

It will also help keep the pistons rings from sticking (a possible cause of burning oil) which also improves compression and emissions.

Worth checking the fuses for the heated seats, it might (hopefully) be something that simple.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 03:48   #28
swedishsledmafia

I’ve been driving it around town all day today, and got the new tires put on (not on rims unfortunately). It drives great! I wasn’t quite sure yesterday but I’m pretty happy with it now. The heated seat fuse is fine, I even switched it just in case but no luck. I’m guessing it’s the coil gone bad or something, I read that there was a recall way back on the exact same model year regarding that.

I’ve heard that can help, I’ll give it a try and do the same next oil change! After cleaning the car I’ll do all that stage 0 stuff.

There’s just something satisfying about cruising in a Volvo. Understated cool or something along those lines hahah. I’m loving the dark green body colour, here’s a photo - and the best part, one of the headlight wipers works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 43CA5B28-2FEC-47D5-854E-C853507E5503.jpeg (99.1 KB, 10 views)
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 08:16   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Nice looking car, glad you're pleased with it!

I might be wrong as it's difficult to see but the left hand headlamp wiper looks as though it's been tucked under the stop? Maybe popping it back out and onto the headlamp glass again will get it working?

Old Nov 19th, 2020, 13:23   #30
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Nice looking car, glad you're pleased with it!

I might be wrong as it's difficult to see but the left hand headlamp wiper looks as though it's been tucked under the stop? Maybe popping it back out and onto the headlamp glass again will get it working?
Well spotted Dave. My, your eyes are good.
Swedishledmafia,
If the headlamp wiper motor is not working, when you have the time and patience there is some good info. available regarding dismantling and repairing the wiper motor. It can be done by removing the headlamp unit complete and no need to separate motor from the headlamp bracket.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, electrically, iacv, no start, regina