Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Shifter Locked up

Views : 552

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 22:26   #1
grinnel

Default Shifter Locked up

After weeks of intermittent failure of the shifter to go into park, this morning it refused to go anywhere from Park. Towed to the shop(which closes Fridays @ noon!) on a rollback, which basically dragged the car on locked front wheels up onto the bed, the car threw no codes and the mechanic determined that nothing was wrong. He sprayed some liquid, and the car made it home, where it sits, blocking the driveway, which can mean a ticket even if it is your own driveway. I have found about 12-15 mentions of this problem, which all stem from 3 causes, soda spills(not here), interlock failure and key capture,(not here) and solenoid failure to release(here). I have sought answers to two questions: 1. How do these things work? and 2. How can one bypass the interlock?
Here's another-where can I get a good clear diagram so I can ID the various parts? & another-are Haynes manuals still as clear as they were before their merger?
grinnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 00:10   #2
S60D5SE
VOC Member

Hi Grinnel

My auto selector failed in a similar way when the linkage from the button on the front of the "shifter" broke inside the handle, for a while it was intermittent, then failed completely. I found that the button has a metal rod embedded in the plastic which operates the shifter interlock between lever positions. The plastic around this rod had shattered.

From what I recall it's not that difficult to remove the shifter to investigate, from inside the car release the plastic clip retaining the leather gaiter, then pull the shifter out, it needs a good sharp pull to remove it. There's more info on the forum somewhere I think.

I repaired the lever on my S60 with epoxy glue, wired it all back together with stiff wire first before glueing, its been fine for 12 months now.

Hope this helps

John.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5SE For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 13:46   #3
Timo1234

old thread but shifter problems are forever.

S60 Mk1, 2007, automatic with 'old style' shifter: stick moves one way PRND432L, so no +/- shifting.

And it got stuck in N-D slot, + key stuck in ignition.

I pried the shifter console cover out and found out it was the ign.lock-to-shifter cable that was preventing the lever from moving: it keeps the long white locker pointer down.
Easing the cable outer cover from its bracket opened the knot. Lever now moves freely to all positions (with the trigger button, of course) and it moves even with keys in my pocket both feet off the pedals!! (lock solenoid bypassed as well)
Total safety override, easy to do on the road!

The problem seems to be the sticking lock cable. I cleaned the shifter-end of it + inserted some lock/gun oil to it , it follows the ignition key turned.

The same cable seems to have two functions:
- it tells the shifter when key is ON
- it tells the lock when lever is in P

The forces on the cable are very weak--> sticking cable = no 'communication'!

And now the questions:
Unfortunately I broke the yellow locking cylinder at the end of the cable.
Has anybody replaced this?

How does it come out the right way (=not broken)?

Cheers

-Timo-
Timo1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timo1234 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 16:30   #4
bobcat267

Hi ,

I had a similar issue on my V70 2.4D (2007 car). My beloved other half had covered it in coffee and it had virtually glued itself. If you remove the trim you can clean the area with any good cleaner (I used contact cleaner spray by WD40). You can also 'manually' push in the interlock. I cannot remember how I did it but you can feel it.

If you really need new selector I have always found the guys at Charlton Volvo very helpful and they do sell the part. Their website is here:

https://www.peakparts.co.uk/

Hope this helps
bobcat267 is offline   Reply With Quote