Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No master key

Views : 1808

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2020, 13:46   #21
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifAbbie View Post
Well, I would, but you may not understand
Try me..... I'm genuinely interested.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 14:15   #22
LPTJoe

Smile

Well this topic has certainly brightened up an otherwise dreary Saturday!

Gender specific 'splaining, professionally offended pearl clutching, and at the heart of it a riddle to unpick re the best resolution to the original problem... There's something here for everyone

11/10. Would read again.
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 15:00   #23
paddy74

You need to get a new key, and I wouldn't want to wait long, sorry!

What you got is called the "mechanic key", as it is normally used to give a key to your mechanic, that does everything a mechanic would need, but it doesn't lock/unlock the glove box (and a few other things).

Unfortunate this is a well known scam in Germany. You get the car, the mechanic key and everything seems to be fine. After a few days/weeks you are missing your car. Guess how that happened? Someone came and opened your car with the correct key and drove it off.... Your address is normally in the paper works....

What you should do imho is go to a dealer, get a new key (yep, sorry, expensive) and let them programm the old key out. It is the cheaper way, but there is still a chance, that the old key can be used to open the car, but not to drive it (the physical key still fits the door locks, but the transponder is wrong, so car won't start).

The "get-it-all-done" solution would be to get a new set of keys and locks, but that is a very, very expensive thing to do.

Nonetheless I'd try to get the key from the seller. I don't know the laws in GB, but here in Germany you would have a good chance to get the seller to hand out the key or take the costs of the "get-it-all-done" repair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 17:59   #24
ifAbbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
Nonetheless I'd try to get the key from the seller. I don't know the laws in GB, but here in Germany you would have a good chance to get the seller to hand out the key or take the costs of the "get-it-all-done" repair.
I contacted him today and he said I did the test drive with this plain key and I was mistaken. That this is the only one he has ever had. So that's not happening.

Ok everyone, thank you very much for the advice. I'm now thoroughly depressed and in need of a good stiff drink. Which I won't have because I'm driving later... But the idea sounds great.

I'll look into new keys.

The car is now fitted with a steering lock.
ifAbbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 16:53   #25
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

I suggest a light tap to the knees with a hammer if the key is not forthcoming
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 18:16   #26
ifAbbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
I suggest a light tap to the knees with a hammer if the key is not forthcoming
hahaha
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 09:09   #27
Longhouse21
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTJoe View Post
My age old solution to this problem (Or only having one key for a car) is to wait until insurance is up for renewal and take the key cover for an extra £20 or so... Adrian Flux and all the usual suspects offer it.

Wait for a couple of months, call and say you've lost the key/fob- Enjoy an all expenses paid trip to the dealer to sort it out. I've used this method several times on several different cars- it works and everything is replaced for circa £20.

HTH.
Let me see....
You don't have a key for the car, so you haven't lost it?

You then take out insurance knowing that you don't have a key with the intention of then later declaring that you have lost it and would like to claim under the new insurance policy.

You then claim under the insurance for something that you never had in the first place, but pretend that you did.

Hmmm....I see. So if I purchase a house/caravan/car other large & expensive item for a knock down price or through my own lack of foresight that has been destroyed by fire/flood/explosion/or any other disaster I can take out insurance, wait a few months and make a claim t have it repaired/replaced or otherwise perfected at the cost of the insurance company.

WOW!

What a great idea!

I think you'll find it's misrepresentation, or the alternative name is fraud.

HTH

p.s. feel free to lambast me. I don't usually barge in but felt the need in this instance with such obvious and blatant proposed conduct.

p.p.s. Well said Lynn's Hubby
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Longhouse21 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 23:00   #28
paddy74

@ifAbbie
I talked to a breaker today, and out of curiosoty I asked for a complete set of locks. He told me they normally don't remove the looks, but if someone wants them, they'd be happy to sell... Maybe this would be a way for you?
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 01:54   #29
ifAbbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
@ifAbbie
I talked to a breaker today, and out of curiosoty I asked for a complete set of locks. He told me they normally don't remove the looks, but if someone wants them, they'd be happy to sell... Maybe this would be a way for you?
What a great idea. However, the clutch went and I cannot afford to get it fixed (vet bills also right now) so I am looking to sell probably as the previous owner from a week ago basically told me where to go

Last edited by ifAbbie; Oct 25th, 2020 at 01:57.
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 16:20   #30
Simmy
Premier Member

sounds like you have had a bad experiance try to take a friend /mechanic when you buy your next car. not all volvos are bad i paid 2k for mine and iv had 6 good years with it .good luck with your next car
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote