Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission hesitates and clunks into D.

Views : 2508

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 14:12   #11
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

how many litres total have you flushed. if its not over 15 try, try again.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 16:17   #12
Willow place

Very cool day today ! The 'box only slipped and clunked when reversing up the drive,(this is after driving from around 450M to 1250M ) it has to rev at 1500 before the beast starts to move, so it proves ? it is must be a heat problem, maybe stick another cooler in tandem may help ? Also has had 30 litres through the 'box .
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 16:23   #13
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow place View Post
Very cool day today ! The 'box only slipped and clunked when reversing up the drive,(this is after driving from around 450M to 1250M ) it has to rev at 1500 before the beast starts to move, so it proves ? it is must be a heat problem, maybe stick another cooler in tandem may help ? Also has had 30 litres through the 'box .
I don't know much but I do know this sounds a lot worse than mine, I thought you already added an extra cooler or was that someone else? I think you're looking at a valve body repair jobby or risk a swap?
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 17:07   #14
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

I've just re-read your first post.

do not shift into neutral at the lights, you are only manually re-creating the problem the later software fix tried to eliminate!

stay in D unless you are in an accident zone
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barrybritcher For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 18:01   #15
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

OP.
Does your car still have the auto neutral select function , ie when you brake to a stop the gearbox goes into neutral after 2 seconds . Then there would be a 5 second delay before drive resumed.
The problem was if you selected N and then D and hit the gas before the drive had engaged it would come in with an almighty bang.
Volvo released a software fix to get rid of the function.
The function doesn`t work in Geartronic or Winter modes so it`s an easy way to check.
So , although Barry beat me to it , He`s right.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 21:56   #16
oragex
Premier Member

I agree with the above. Never shift to N when waiting at lights, etc. You also need to make sure the B4 cover was already updated. I understand you had the car from 2004 so you may suppose there is a chance it wasn't updated before. Also go ahead and make sure the neutral stop was disabled. As for the delay and hard engaging in D (banging), if you want to take the risk, find someone with Vida or with a performant scanner, and reset the adaptations - this must be done only in a warm day, after having driven the car for 1-2 hours. Once the adaptation is reset - it's being done with the engine running, don't stop the engine and start by getting the transmission to relearn: switch from P to D and wait 5 seconds, then repeat until you feel it's engaging smoothly in D. It should do it quite quickly, after a few tries or even right away. Then do the same from N to R. Then accelerate from 0 to 50mph (or 60 if you can) slowly, allowing all gears to engage gently, then come to a stop the same way, slowly. Repeat 3-4 times. Then you may finally turn off the engine. Once done, I think it's very important not to drive the car for a while on motorway. Instead drive only urban areas to have the transmission shift as much as possible for the next few weeks. All this should be done in weather over 15C, never in cold weather (the adaptations need warm transmission fluid to be learned)

Last edited by oragex; Oct 22nd, 2020 at 21:59.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oragex For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 00:20   #17
Bashy
Aged Member

This "dont change to neutral" idea appears conflicting when googling it, some say to do it, others say to don't.

I myself have always done it, my reasoning is so that you can use the handbrake thus releasing the callipers from the discs, largely reducing the chances of warping them or DTV.

I bet a higher percentage of warped discs or DTV are on automatic cars
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 06:06   #18
Max HEADVROOM

if my gb needs the updated software, can i just ring a local volvo dealer and get it done, or canit be done with vida?
Max HEADVROOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 11:11   #19
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

My car doesn`t have the feature and i shift into neutral when stationary. I do this for a few reasons , one is i hate the idea of the engine lugging against the transmission. It seems like slipping the clutch and causing unecessary wear.
Using the handbrake to keep it working nicely. There must be an increase in fuel consumption as well , i would think. Also , when i first got the car i would sit on the brake . I got through loads of brake bulbs which really cheesed me off.
The other feature which i`ve never liked is the warm up shift delay. On first pull-away the car hangs much tool long in 2nd for my liking and then when it does shift it goes with a real lurch.So i always use geartronic from cold for the first mile or two and take it gently.
The car is coming up for it`s fourth trans-oil change and is still sweet as a nut.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 16:32   #20
Willow place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I don't know much but I do know this sounds a lot worse than mine, I thought you already added an extra cooler or was that someone else? I think you're looking at a valve body repair jobby or risk a swap?
It was me Bashy ! The extra cooler worked fine and made a big difference but it now appears the 'box is reverting back to it's old way, that's why I have considered putting another cooler in Tandem , the 'box is smooth as silk until it gets hot , even reverse is so smooth ,cannot even feel the take up , everthing changes as it should , just the Delay in Reverse or rush it and get a massive Clunk !!
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aw55-50, clunky, tranmsmission, xc70