Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driver Mirror Change

Views : 682

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2020, 19:58   #1
The Phoenix

Default Driver Mirror Change

Hi all

I had to replace my driver mirror with another one but it's not remembering the settings when I press the buttons on my driver's seat memory 1/2/3 buttons.

Can this change of mirror be fixed in VIDA so the car recognises the change of mirror.

It has the same amount of wires as the original one had.

TIA
Phoenix
The Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 12:46   #2
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phoenix View Post
Hi all

I had to replace my driver mirror with another one but it's not remembering the settings when I press the buttons on my driver's seat memory 1/2/3 buttons.

Can this change of mirror be fixed in VIDA so the car recognises the change of mirror.

It has the same amount of wires as the original one had.

TIA
Phoenix
Have you replaced the whole mirror body as well as the glass?

If you have changed the body and internal electronics for one from another V70/S60 etc - you will encounter multiple other problems as the mirror unit ie the upper electronic module is coded to the original chassis/vin and cannot be recoded even if it is from the same year specific VIN number group.
As such, they are not interchangeable only the mirror glass can be swapped. The upper electronic module is an integral part of the security system which includes the central locking/alarm receiver - you may well find that as well as the mirror position memory settings being lost that your remote central locking, window/sunroof closure, rear door lock/unlock side light remote activation no longer work correctly.

IE you can swap the mirror glass but not the whole unit.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Oct 29th, 2020 at 12:49.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 13:02   #3
The Phoenix

Thanks for your detailed reply.

It was indeed the full mirror I had to swap over from one car to mine.

I can use the yellow button on my fob for side operation and central locking works fine too.

It’s just not remembering the settings when saved when the memory seat button is used.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 14:00   #4
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phoenix View Post
Thanks for your detailed reply.

It was indeed the full mirror I had to swap over from one car to mine.

I can use the yellow button on my fob for side operation and central locking works fine too.

It’s just not remembering the settings when saved when the memory seat button is used.
I must admit that I'm pleasantly surprised that the central locking and light buttons work, the other functions can't because the replacement Upper Electronic Module is not and cannot be coded to the car, one from another vehicle cannot be recoded even by a dealer - Volvo claimed it was anti-theft purposed - the only one's that can be programmed/coded are "clean and clear" replacement units supplied by a dealer which are riotesly expensive!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 14:41   #5
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
How do you know your replacement mirror has the memory function?
I hope you didn`t just go by the number of wires.
What was wrong with the old one?
Can`t you pull the guts out of your old mirror and install into the replacement shell?
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 15:47   #6
ASt85
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Hi.
How do you know your replacement mirror has the memory function?
I hope you didn`t just go by the number of wires.
What was wrong with the old one?
Can`t you pull the guts out of your old mirror and install into the replacement shell?
Yup - that will work as the "code" is in the unit's on-board card cached memory.

Old Oct 29th, 2020, 20:12   #7
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Is this question about the door mirror. If it is then AFAIK they are interchangeable so long as you get one of the same spec.

The rear view mirror inside is the one that can't be changed as a whole, only the glass, but this deosn't have a memory function.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 20:55   #8
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

I think (my) wires are getting crossed here.
The OP hasn`t changed the interior mirror so doesn`t have to worry about software coding. So long as the spec is the same he should be fine.
My point is there are mirrors with the same number of wires that have different functions.
I may be wrong but i think the door mirror position is controlled through the DDM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 12:59   #9
The Phoenix

Thanks for all your input guys sadly the mirror that was on it got smashed to bits thanks to someone driving by it but I got car checked out and the mirror I replaced it with is missing something that sounds like PARAsomething lol I did however fix the tailgate open nuisance sorted by myself thanks to a member on here having same issue too.
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 13:33   #10
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

PARA...... ??
Probably POWER folding , i should think.
What spec mirrors do you have ?