Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing Factory Fit Audio Unit

Views : 10437

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 21:14   #1
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Default Changing Factory Fit Audio Unit

A few weeks ago I started a thread asking questions about changing the factory fit HU unit. I didn't get much response and then the topic was lost when the server crashed.

Since then I have changed the HU603 in my model year 2001 V70 for a Pioneer AVIC unit, and would like to pass on details of how it was done, problems and solutions.

Firstly a couple of Volvo myths dismissed: you don't generate error codes by removing the HU; no software for the HU needs to be removed.

One thing worth noting however, if you disconnect either the Climate Control unit to get the existing HU out, or the Driver Information module you will generate an SRS Service message. This can be avoided by disconnecting the battery or cleared at a later date. I chose option two as I wanted the battery connected to measure voltages and currents, and also so I could move the seats and gear-shift lever. The code is simple enough to reset with the right code reader, I used and Autel model which worked well.

I will post photos later, the first time I tried things went a bit strange, so stay with me on that.

The physical installation was made easy by using a Volvo DIN audio faceplate, part number 8622876 is a kit which includes a new bracket to re-fit the Climate Control unit. There is a similar kit for model year 2004 on.

The faceplate is only single DIN however it has a storage tray which can be removed. There are two support groves for the single DIN fitting which need to be cut away, then a double DIN fits perfectly. I riveted the Pioneer DIN cage into the faceplate as rivets have fairly flat heads which easily allowed the AVIC to slide in.

Wiring turned out to be the worst problem. None of the CAN interfaces previously on the market and claiming compatibility with the 2000-3 V70 are available and I needed signals from the car for the AVIC and I also wanted to keep the steering wheel controls.

Fortunately, after much Google searching and conversations with people in the UK and Sweden I found Canm8 (www.canm8.com). I spent about 4 hours with them reading CAN bus codes from the car. This concluded with the programming of one of their ICELINK interfaces.

I made up an interface lead using the Pioneer lead, a Volvo/ISO lead (£8 eBay) and the Canm8 interface and harness. The Canm8 interface gives signals for handbrake, reverse gear, lighting (from the switch not the actual lights to get over the problem of day running lights) and speed pulse for the navigation part of the AVIC. It also reads the audio steering controls and controls the AVIC through the wired remote input.

The V70, like most other Volvos, has an FM aerial amplifier. This is powered from the HU. The Pioneer has an output to control a powered antenna which I thought would be ideal to power the signal amp. Pioneer say that the maximum current from the antenna control is 300mA, I checked the power consumption of the signal amp, it was only 20mA (another reason the battery needed to be connected).

Getting all the other leads for the Pioneer in place turned out to be the most time consuming part. I wanted to put the mike for the phone connection on the 'A' pillar, a previous hands-free install used this position and it worked well. I removed the trim which means replacement of the clip (few pence from Volvo). The cable was clipped to the drain for the sunroof, you need to watch that is kept away from the side air curtain which extends behind the trim. After some experimenting and use of a small torch I was able to thread the mike wire through to the space behind the driver information module and across to the centre console.

I removed the Driver Information module as I found out that this is where Volvo fit their GPS antenna. I was able to order the bracket from Volvo which is a metal plate that fits at the back of the cavity. The Pioneer GPS antenna is magnetic and is design to sit on a metal sticker. Mine fitted straight onto the bracket and is completely invisible from above (see photo). The plastic above the console doesn't seem to have any effect on reception.

The AVIC has an interface for external audio and video with a USB connection, this is ideal for connecting an iPod. To keep the lead tidy, I removed the centre floor console and the armrest, threaded the cable alongside existing wiring and brought it out into the storage box under the armrest.

The Volvo DIN faceplate doesn't have a cupholder like the original, in a way this is useful as the cavity which it leaves gave me somewhere to hide the excess cable lengths and the separate traffic receiver for the Pioneer unit. The only other thing I needed was an aerial adaptor, again eBay for a few pounds.

The Volvo manual that came with the faceplate and the Haynes manual both give instructions to remove the Climate Control module so you can get to the fixings of the factory HU. I found these misleading - the Climate unit actual comes forward not down, the downward pull just allows the unit to slide forward.

I hope this information is useful to others. I'll do my best to add more information of anyone wants. Now to try and sort the photos!
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 21:28   #2
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

DIN cage in Volvo faceplate

Completed wiring harness

Location of GPS antenna inside cavity behind Driver Information Module

Everything re-assembled ready for install of AVIC.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Harness.jpg (80.4 KB, 841 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Din Cage.jpg (86.5 KB, 833 views)
File Type: jpg 4 GPS Antenna.jpg (140.5 KB, 830 views)
File Type: jpg 5 Before Final 1.jpg (64.6 KB, 838 views)
File Type: jpg 6 Before Final 2.jpg (152.6 KB, 839 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:36   #3
Redtwin

Perfect timing, I am about to embark on a similar install (JVC double DIN HU).

I wasn't sure which fascia PN would be the right colour match for my car. It is a 2002 S60 which I *think* has the same colour fascia as your car, but I get confused with "grey" vs "charcoal" etc.

If you don't mind my asking, how much were you charged for the fascia and were you able to inspect it before paying?. I was thinking of taking my pen holder along to compare colour when I went to buy mine.
Redtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:17   #4
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Hi Redtwin
As far as I know the only colour difference happened when the model re-style happened 2004, that's when the charcoal colour came in. There is a note on the VADIS parts diagram which says this.
I let the garage give me the parts number so if the wrong part arrived it would be their problem. I paid £28.56 + VAT for the kit, you get a couple of parts you don't need but if you order the panel on its own you don't get the bracket to re-attach the Climate unit or any screws.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:33   #5
Talon
Volvic Driver

Missing Lincs thanks very much for this info
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:12   #6
Redtwin

Thats a good price considering the pattern fascias on Ebay are close to £20 after postage with questionable colour match quality.

Looking forward to doing ths now, already have some of the bits in, just need to extend the speaker wire loom on the DIN plug, then I will be ready to order in the HU.

Last edited by Redtwin; Feb 23rd, 2010 at 12:15.
Redtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 21:12   #7
J4ck

hello there. finally some usefull info!!! can u tell me pls where to buy that fascia? or provide the link to the website u bought it from ?
J4ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 21:30   #8
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4ck View Post
hello there. finally some usefull info!!! can u tell me pls where to buy that fascia? or provide the link to the website u bought it from ?
The facia is Volvo original, local dealership or try member Rufe on this forum for mail order.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 13:33   #9
rbodor3

Missing-
So you ordered the ICELINK CAN adapter straight from Canm8? What were the bus signals you found for those components? I also want to retain my steering wheel controls with a new double DIN.
rbodor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 14:06   #10
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Wow, that seems a while ago now.

We found signals for speed pulse, reverse gear, lights on (headlight switch in on position), handbrake, volume up and down, channel change up and down and ignition on, although the last one I didn't use as there is an 12 volt switched ignition feed from the car.

You might have to phone Canm8 to see what they can do for you, the combination of car and HU I have still doesn't seem to be listed as an off-the-shelf item.