Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bluepower replacement Head Unit

Views : 22681

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2016, 08:33   #41
chrisv50t5

Yeah getting on with it really well, I'm still waiting for a antenna lead but I've been using my iPod & my phone on Bluetooth which is fine. Customer support has always been excellent replying to emails quickly.
chrisv50t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisv50t5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 19:52   #42
The Thong
VOC Member

How good is the sound quality?
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 14:21   #43
Swissly

@Missing Lincs: this damn system does not allow me to reply to PMs!
I am not using the BLP-990 FM tuner, only the stock tuner.
Final solution will be DAB+ and no more FM...
Swissly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swissly For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 08:16   #44
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

A quick update.

One year after I placed the order I received a replacement 'DVD' box, the main unit of the BLP-990. Bluepower said this will dramatically improve radio reception and the good news is, it does. The first unit also had a duff audio channel, the volume on the rear left channel was almost non-existent.

There are still a couple of niggles, one is when the radio is set to retune for weak signals, when this is turned on, it re-tunes or rather de-tunes constantly. Bluepower say this will be fixed with a software/firmware update.

I noticed a design change in the new black box, it now has a heatsink on the back. Not sure why, maybe they've had overheating problems with the first version.

In general, the BLP-990 works well, it integrates well with the car. Sound quality is good, especially as it's firing on all four channels now.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 11:24   #45
iainmd

I've been sorely tempted by buying one for some time but have been waiting for the feedback from the early adopters. Thanks very much for taking the time to update us all on your experience.

In time I may opt for one. I'm about to pick up our new campervan in a few weeks which will be fitted with a Pioneer AVIC head unit with Android Auto allowing Spotify streaming, DAB, Hands free calling, Google Maps etc. I fear that following this I may be finding our Volvo built-in systems a little old-skool.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 22:42   #46
PhilRW

Default 2005 s60 blp-840 2016 arm

Anyone tried the 2016 ARM BLP-840?

Thinking of getting one, reviews of the earlier version seem mixed.

Last edited by PhilRW; Jan 11th, 2017 at 22:43. Reason: notification setting
PhilRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 13:44   #47
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Anyone got any more updates on the BP units? Keep getting targeted ads on instagram for them and it is getting me tempted again...

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 09:14   #48
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

So far so good.

No software/firmware updates yet so still has a problem with FM stations when set to use alternative frequencies, the function doesn't work.

It looks like they now ship with a different sat nav. I've asked about changing as the new one, Des Nav looks better to operate. They also say you can use TomTom or Garmin, has anyone tried this and how did you go about it?
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 12:16   #49
Mickydafish

I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a Bluepower head unit! In my case a BLP-840 to go in an XC70 MY07 SE lux. Pleased to say I do not regret it, it is a great bit of kit that looks and sounds the part. The only downside, as far as i can see, is the very poor support from Bluepower. Installation instructions or wiring diagrams were non existent but it wasn't rocket science to fit though, all the plugs and connectors were pretty obvious. I emailed Bluepower on a number of occasions and their response is seriously lacking! I still haven't received a NAV SD card yet despite several emails to them.

I removed a perfectly good HU850 and i'm well pleased with the 840, only looked in to it because the useless RTI nav system had died and I wanted to update the look of the dash and this was, pretty much, the only solution.

Installation took me about 5 hours and it's a fiddle getting all the extra wires positioned to allow the console to fit properly, I found that removing the glovebox resolved this, you can get a hand in behind the unit and guide it in. The housing colour match is pretty good although my car has the wood effect surround so maybe less of an issue. There was also a bit of judicious dremel work needed to the rear of the original housing as some of the plugs are in different positions but, again easily done.

It's an expensive bit of kit but everything worked first time, the steering wheel controls, radio, disk, BlueTooth connection to a Sony phone, even the reverse camera installed at the time. I have seen a lot of bad reviews about the BP unit but, apart from the lack of comms from Bluepower, I personally think this a great upgrade to my venerable old XC! Still waiting for the NAV card though!!
Mickydafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 10:17   #50
PhilRW

Post 2005 s60 blp-840 2016 arm, one year on.

BLP-840 does have bluetooth, usb (needs an adapter), sd card, AUX and SatNav which all work and the original unit didn’t have.

BLP-840 does have more features but isn’t as well built as the original. BLP can be sluggish, especially Bluetooth paring which can take 5 minutes or more.

Sat nav is ok, can struggled to get a signal at times. Maps are via a download link which was email to me after requesting it.

Auto-rip of CDs misses end of tracks, so I don’t use it.

Sound quality is hard to judge without a side by side comparison. From memory I’d say sound quality is comparable, at best. BLP-840 has more EQ options but struggles with the top end which can get a bit harsh. Stereo separation isn’t as wide as the original and vocals aren’t as good either. Front centre speaker works.

It cannot keep time, use the option to set from SatNav satellites. SatNav has separate day light saving settings, so +/- 1 hr needs changing in two places if you regally use the SatNav.

Reversing sensor audio is a bit harsh and does not indicate which side an obstacle is. It is usable but not as friendly as original. Because the unit is sluggish and a bit slow to boot, wait a minute after starting engine before selecting reversing, otherwise the revising sensor won’t be ready.

If you are not bothered about the centre front speaker being used (Dolby 5.1) or having a head unit that matches the Volvo dash, a mainstream 2 din head unit with a mounting adaptor is a similar price and probably a better buy. If it has the features you want.
PhilRW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilRW For This Useful Post: