Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Buyer Advice

Views : 729

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2019, 22:31   #11
AlexO

Thanks for all the input guys, lots to be taking away!

Just as a side note, my girlfriend has a diesel Qashqai so I'm familiar with the problem with diesels and short journeys. As it happens I don't generally get in my car if the journey is off Portsea Island (I live in Portsmouth) and in general that's 100+ miles to a sailing event/family's house or the 30 mile round-trip to the sailing club so I have taken that in to account when thinking about diesels.

It's also interesting to see you guys debating about the pros/cons of these modern cars, most of the cons are problems I'd just pay to have!

Thanks again,

Alex
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 02:15   #12
andy_d
Premier Member

we still get rust eventually, still get bearings going but unlike your 240 we nearly "need" a laptop and Vida/dice combo to Tell the car "your fixed"

That could be something else to factor in if you do most/a lot of the work yourself, a dice+vida setup on a laptop , saves a Lot of frustrations and given how Many boxes of electronics scattered all over the car, never mind the airbag + srs systems etc and the new mot regs.
Does make life oh so easy, it not only tells you whats up, how to get to it and how to fix it, there is a full workshop manual in there, full parts listing, and unlike the haynes book of lies, it IS for the car you have.

940 to S40 (old type) and now V50 and honestly the V50 is nicest of the bunch
*i do miss the Huge 940 boot and nimvomat magic carpet ride, right up until i press the loud pedal on the 2.4 5pot petrol V50
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 09:25   #13
AlexO

Ohhhh I hadn't imagined there wasn't any rust around andy_d, why do you think I'm starting my search six months in advance of purchase?! I've had a good look at VIDA+DICE bits nad bobs though and it certainly looks like a worthwhile investment. It would also fix my main bugbear with "newer" cars in that they need a computer to fix whereas my 240 usually just needs spanners and foul language. Always the foul language.

The huge boot in the 240 is a saviour most of the time, hence why I won't be selling the car but storing it in case of future need. Plus it's my first car and, really, who wouldn't want to hang on to it.

Thanks again for all the help, the quest for the D5-manual-facelift-V50 continues...

Alex
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 18:27   #14
andy_d
Premier Member

do not loose the "bigger hammer" but do lower the swear jar to 1p a word it is a volvo after all