Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help identifying parts please

Views : 931

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2019, 22:36   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Could that be a bit of an optical illusion Dave ?

The Alternator belt definitely doesn't go on water pump
It could be Mark - that's why i said the A/C compressor bracket appears to be in the way. Angle of dangle of camera and all that!

It's possible some misguided soul has replaced the alternator belt incorrectly or changed all three belts and got one or more in the wrong place forcing them to drive the alternator off the water pump. The other thing that it could be is the alternator isn't man enough for the car for whatever reason and some crafty sod has swapped the belts around to give a higher drive speed.

Or it could just be some numpty who didn't know what they were doing has fitted new belts!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 22:38   #12
Nine40

Mines a 2.0 turbo... has anyone got pics of the correct fitting? I dont want to start pulling it apart untill im sure of correct fitting 👍🏻
Nine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nine40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 22:43   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine40 View Post
Mines a 2.0 turbo... has anyone got pics of the correct fitting? I dont want to start pulling it apart untill im sure of correct fitting 👍🏻
There's a pic a couple of posts up, click on it and it opens to full size.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 22:46   #14
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
The belt fitting is the same on all models. Some just don't have the aircon belt

It would account for the squealing and dash lights coming on though
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 23:06   #15
Nine40

Sorry if a wee bit thick but from what i can gather... should the current belt in red be moved to the position in blue... the bracket in green as previously mentioned doesnt appear to be in the way..
wonder if thats causing power steering problem too?

The Following User Says Thank You to Nine40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 23:19   #16
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Sorry if a wee bit thick but from what i can gather... should the current belt in red be moved to the position in blue... the bracket in green as previously mentioned doesnt appear to be in the way..
wonder if thats causing power steering problem too?

Spot on ! It could well be slowing down the power steering if its slowing the PS belt down ( I think )

I would also think about getting new timing belt fitted.

Cheers, Mark
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 23:29   #17
Nine40

Thanks.. i may as well do all three belts , they seem easy enough to do looking in haynes 👍🏻
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nine40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 23:41   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The centre groove of the crank pulley (currently empty) should have the alternator belt in it.

You'll need to slacken the alternator adjuster and its mounting bolts slightly, likewise with the A/C compressor adjuster and mounting bolts, remove the A/C belt and the alternator belt, refit the alternator belt between the crank pulley and alternator, tighten the adjuster until the belt is tight then re-tighten the alternator mounting bolts.
Do likewise with the A/C belt and the adjuster and compressor mounting bolts.

Now you've had some practice and encountered at least two of Volvos unusual adjusters, slacken the PAS pump mounting bolts and adjuster locknut then tighten the adjuster on the PAS until the belt is tight. Now tighten the PAS pump mounting bolts again.

You will find there is usually one mounting bolt with each item that allows the unit to move with the adjuster to tighten the belt. It's a few years since i had a red block so i can't remember exactly how they go and they're different on what i have now.

You'll need a good set of metric spanners, socket set, penetrating oil and patience - oh yeah and a methodical approach. A torch might also be usefuil and a small mirror to help you see what you need to undo/do up.

Old Feb 19th, 2019, 23:45   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Spot on ! It could well be slowing down the power steering if its slowing the PS belt down ( I think )

I would also think about getting new timing belt fitted.

Cheers, Mark
You could well be right there Mark - the load on the alternator could be causing the water pump and PAS belt to slip which would also cause the warning lights to flash on during tickover until it got some charge back into the battery. Once the battery had some charge and the alternator wasn't presenting a hefty load and potentially stalling the water pump, the available power from the belt would easily drive the water and PAS pumps.

I definitely second getting a new timing belt - if that's the standard of auxiliary belt fitting, i dread to think what the timing belt is like!

Old Feb 20th, 2019, 06:43   #20
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Unhappy

I would clean all the rust off the pulleys too while you ate at it as that will cause a squeal.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: