Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Oil Level Poll

Views : 524690

Replies : 217

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have you had the excess oil issue?
Yes 190 37.04%
No 323 62.96%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:08   #61
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais View Post
Notice how the thread died out when the main protagonist found that his oil level did not rise after the software update. The heated discussion about oil dilution became an abstract academic hypothesis, because there was no actual oil dilution happening. What a storm in an oil sump.
Really not completely sure who you mean unless it is someone I nearly suggested should add another 50 to his username - how about a clue?
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 11:20   #62
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet2 D5 View Post
Really not completely sure who you mean unless it is someone I nearly suggested should add another 50 to his username - how about a clue?
I was referring to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post

Glad to see the thread's still alive, there's been so much nonsense and silly science thrown into it recently that I personally lost interest and just can't be bothered answering.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 19:49   #63
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
I was referring to this:
Thanks, clearly tuned to the same wavelength = 106!
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 20:31   #64
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:

Notice how the thread died out when the main protagonist found that his oil level did not rise after the software update. The heated discussion about oil dilution became an abstract academic hypothesis, because there was no actual oil dilution happening. What a storm in an oil sump.
I have to agree with you (especially when you clarify as above ) the worry is that he will find another aspect to start a thread on
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 01:23   #65
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
...the worry is that he will find another aspect to start a thread on
I have no problem with people starting threads and discussing whatever is of interest or concern. The problem happens when people introduce disinformation that aggravates and escalates the situation until it bears no resemblance to reality. Some readers may be misled by the false rhetoric.

No doubt there is a genuine interest and concern about rising oil levels in diesel cars with a DPF.

The proposition that Volvo are involved in some conspiracy to cover this up is flawed. The talk of law suits and class action as a result consequently is also flawed. The other efforts in pursuit of these are a waste of time and money.

Volvo are dealing with the issue. Most owners who have had a software update report that the problem has disappeared. For the owners who still have rising oil levels, they must monitor their situation to avoid harmful conditions and perhaps change their oil more frequently.

Paraphrasing what someone said in the other thread, if you are worried, replace any doubtful oil and get on with life.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 08:20   #66
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
... The problem happens when people introduce disinformation that aggravates and escalates the situation until it bears no resemblance to reality. Some readers may be misled by the false rhetoric.

No doubt there is a genuine interest and concern about rising oil levels in diesel cars with a DPF.

I completely agree - there were posts from that person which had completeley incorrect information and when I corrected it he would then choose some other erroneous fact to support his fallaciuos arguments

I also agree that the DPF issue is not plesant for those who have suffered it - but the incidence does seem to be dropping.

I wonder if asnother factor is a 'new car syndrome' - I have seen several new XC60s getting driven very hard on the local roads, clearly the owners were enjoying the new found power, once they get used to it perhaps the right foot will get lighter and the resultant soot becoming less
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 11:29   #67
XC60 N Yorks

Thumbs up

Interesting Thread

I really dont understand the oil issue, so I suspect that I dont have it. Have a tour around europe planned in a couple of weeks so should have +2K on the clock in a fortnight, I will monitor before and after.

I was more interested to discover that you are supposed to check your own tyres and fill up the water washer bottle. Am I the only one to return to my local dealer and tell them i have run out ! After all, they told me all I had to do for 3 years was put fuel in it and drive. Fair play they are good to their word.
XC60 N Yorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 09:07   #68
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60 N Yorks View Post
I was more interested to discover that you are supposed to check your own tyres and fill up the water washer bottle. Am I the only one to return to my local dealer and tell them i have run out ! After all, they told me all I had to do for 3 years was put fuel in it and drive. Fair play they are good to their word.
Had to chuckle.

How does it work? Do you book to have your washer bottle filled, say some day next week? Or do you just front up, take a ticket and join the queue, perhaps waiting hours until they attend to the disgruntled owners in to have their diluted oil drained?
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 14:15   #69
XC60Monkey

Quote:
I have no problem with people starting threads and discussing whatever is of interest or concern. The problem happens when people introduce disinformation that aggravates and escalates the situation until it bears no resemblance to reality. Some readers may be misled by the false rhetoric.

The proposition that Volvo are involved in some conspiracy to cover this up is flawed. The talk of law suits and class action as a result consequently is also flawed. The other efforts in pursuit of these are a waste of time and money.

Volvo are dealing with the issue. Most owners who have had a software update report that the problem has disappeared. For the owners who still have rising oil levels, they must monitor their situation to avoid harmful conditions and perhaps change their oil more frequently.

Paraphrasing what someone said in the other thread, if you are worried, replace any doubtful oil and get on with life.

Hmm - all very well if you are ok - my car was fine until the software upgrade (which I still maintain is still buggy) started messing around with my regeneration cycles, dropping my average economy by 10 mpg and topping up my oil with veg fat. You suggest I be content that Volvo are dealing with it and change my oil every month after significant dilution! I buy a new car every 3 years so as not to ever have to lift the bonnet or visit the dealer - I'm seriously thinking of moving to a petrol Q5 which should see me though the next 3 years at which point I agree all issues will be solved.
XC60Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 23:31   #70
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Monkey View Post
Hmm - all very well if you are ok - my car was fine until the software upgrade (which I still maintain is still buggy) started messing around with my regeneration cycles, dropping my average economy by 10 mpg and topping up my oil with veg fat. You suggest I be content that Volvo are dealing with it and change my oil every month after significant dilution! I buy a new car every 3 years so as not to ever have to lift the bonnet or visit the dealer - I'm seriously thinking of moving to a petrol Q5 which should see me though the next 3 years at which point I agree all issues will be solved.
Yes, I would be annoyed. However, in my experience our Volvo dealer is responsive and would do all that they can to fix problems. Perhaps you are another victim of London dealers' complacency?

Firstly, I would demand that they fix the problem. There are several posts in the respective rising oil level threads about the new software fixing the problem. You may have got a faulty install. There is no way that I would accept an "upgrade" that reduced the mileage you say, plus not fixing the rising oil.

If you really need to change to a petrol model, why not another Volvo. You should be able to negotiate a good change-over deal in the circumstances. If money is no object, the T6 XC60 is good.

No criticism of Audi but they are also subject to gremlins that affect modern cars. Check the relevant forums. In any case, they also need to be serviced every six or twelve months, depending on your driving style, just like a Volvo. I don't know of any make of car that you don't have to lift the bonnet for three years.