Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Tyre Poll

Views : 33476

Replies : 208

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you slapping on winter tyres?
Yes 176 56.23%
No 137 43.77%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 12:11   #1
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Default Winter Tyre Poll

Are you slapping on winter tyres? Go on, let us know.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 15:49   #2
XC60KEV
Master Member

As only recently got the car I cannot judge if will be getting them or not as never had the XC60 in winter before. I'm going to wait and see how she fares and then decide. That said the rate the miles are clocking up might need a new set mid December anyway and may put winter tyres on just to compare at no real additional cost as would be replacing them anyway. Will wait and see. I see Kwik Fit are now stocking the Continental 4 x 4 winter contact tyres £743.20 for 4 fully fitted.
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 18:04   #3
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj5cott View Post
As only recently got the car I cannot judge if will be getting them or not as never had the XC60 in winter before. I'm going to wait and see how she fares and then decide. That said the rate the miles are clocking up might need a new set mid December anyway and may put winter tyres on just to compare at no real additional cost as would be replacing them anyway. Will wait and see. I see Kwik Fit are now stocking the Continental 4 x 4 winter contact tyres £743.20 for 4 fully fitted.
I too am going to wait and see a)How the car performs and b)How bad the weather gets!
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 18:11   #4
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Apologies. I never meant for people's usernames to be displayed. My bad. I should have also perhaps added a maybe option. Not sure I can change the poll at this stage though.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 19:11   #5
mkay

one should not wait and see when it comes to fitting winter tyres, all the active saftey features in the world will not save you, your loved ones or the child who ran out in front of you if your tyre compound is to ridgid at that moment.

tyres are the few square inches you have between life and death for you or others.

"a winter tyre is for life, not just for snow"

i have an offroad 4x4 that in winter is fitted with bridgestone dm-v1 due to the nordic conditions it is used in but for my normal road 4x4 bridgestone lm25 are the choice although if fittment allowed i would use conti 830p's
mkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 19:22   #6
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkay View Post
one should not wait and see when it comes to fitting winter tyres, all the active saftey features in the world will not save you, your loved ones or the child who ran out in front of you if your tyre compound is to ridgid at that moment.

tyres are the few square inches you have between life and death for you or others.

i have an offroad 4x4 that in winter is fitted with bridgestone dm-v1 due to the nordic conditions it is used in but for my normal road 4x4 bridgestone lm25 are the choice although if fittment allowed i would use conti 830p's
There is every reason if we live in a area that does not get much bad weather. If it get to the point like last year I will use public transport then risk my life with a train driver! I'm waiting and seeing.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 19:50   #7
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Look, a winter tyre is fine in the right conditions but it's a winter tyre on a summers day is surely as bad as a summer tyre in winter you just ain't gonna get the grip you need to drive safely, bugger that!

If I look out and there is 2 feet of snow I am not risking my balls by driving, especially with all the other silly buggers out there, it's not my ability to stay on the straight and narrow I am worried about.....
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Philpottig For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 20:49   #8
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpottig View Post

Look, a winter tyre is fine in the right conditions but it's a winter tyre on a summers day is surely as bad as a summer tyre in winter you just ain't gonna get the grip you need to drive safely, bugger that!
With all due respect, bollox!

As the main point about a winter tyre is the way it retains flexibility in cold conditions then it should be obvious that the construction of the tyre is from softer materials, ergo you will still get excellent grip in the dry, in summer; unfortunately this is allied to truly appalling levels of tyre wear!

Citizen "Vredestein Snowtrac 3" Agfa.
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 20:54   #9
GMad
Premier Member

Never have fitted them to any vehicle I've ever owned and I'm not about to start..
Never had a problem with traction either.
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 21:09   #10
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I have read that Britain should actually use Winter Tyres as it is when the temperature falls below 5C that the issues with summer compound tyres become apparent. The difference between us and the Nordics is that they have these temperatures for several months, we have it for a few months.

I know that my P Zero tyres feel very hard and smooth when it run my hand over the running surface on a cold morning, especilly when we have had several days of cold weather. Conversly my winter tyres still feel 'sticky' in the same conditions - in fact they feel the same in the winter as summer tyres do in the summer
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post: