Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2018 - Disappointed with Sensus - Any thoughts?

Views : 2329

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2018, 03:19   #1
jbstetson721
jbstetson721

Default XC60 2018 - Disappointed with Sensus - Any thoughts?

We love the new XC60 but are very disappointed with the navigation system. We find it is difficult to use and does not give us reliable or accurate information. We have checked the map updates and confirmed they are current. At this point, I am back to using my Garmin GPS. Is anyone else having issues or is it us and our system? Any thoughts as to what we might do? Thanks.
jbstetson721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 08:52   #2
MaDProFF
Master Member

All Systems are different, I find my Garmin Navigator 6 odd to use no logic to how to get to certain parts etc. after a while it becomes natural, same as Sensus Nav System, it is a learning process, tbh you can tell it where you want to go (again once you learned how)

How accurate it is, not entirely sure what you mean, but as for me I have used it a quite a few times now to get to a destination, and it gets me there, (assuming it is on the map, one was not until after the update)
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 10:29   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstetson721 View Post
We love the new XC60 but are very disappointed with the navigation system. We find it is difficult to use and does not give us reliable or accurate information. We have checked the map updates and confirmed they are current. At this point, I am back to using my Garmin GPS. Is anyone else having issues or is it us and our system? Any thoughts as to what we might do? Thanks.
Give some examples on what it is not doing ? I assume it is always correct at showing the current position . you might want to have a close look at the settings too , It might be set for the most economical route for example so it will take the long way around to avoid hills , It is a very comprehensive system .
You can never ever follow a navigation system blindfold , you have to use your common sense too , It will take you down single track roads to follow the straightest line possible on the map if it is the quickest route for example . Knowing the general direction you want to go and comparing it with the sun position helps too .
Any Navigation is just an aid , you still need to know roughly where you are going …!
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 11:08   #4
pagan8c
Master Member

As others have said no sat nav is 100% but I have not had any real problem setting or finding where I have wanted to go. I have recently been to France and we were going to a very small village in Brittany and the sat nav took me right to the gite we were stopping at.I do agree it takes a bit of learning to set it right but I also look up the direction on the map which I can send to the car via the VOC app. However I only use this for longer journeys because I find the places of interest part to take me to local places nearby.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 17:49   #5
MaDProFF
Master Member

I might add I have the Sat nav set up on the centre dash as well, it shows lane departure etc. on that.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 20:19   #6
Parky12

Looking forward to getting my fingers on the Sensus system later in the year

All Nav systems are only as good as their algorithms and the options that you set. If you let it guide you all the way then you will get there, but which way might not be the way you want

If going any distance then I always spend a few minutes of the preparation time to try my route on one of the big search engines. If I want to ensure the route that you take is the one you want to use then add way points into the Nav

As others have said it's an Aid for you. If you don't want to work with it then you will need to accept it's limitations. It's still a major step forward in vehicle technology though and one that makes driving easier
XC60 15MY 181 SE AWD Savile Grey (previous)
Parky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parky12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 10:59   #7
Neo79

Thumbs down

I am definitely disappointed with the Sensus maps albeit for a different reason. Tried to update my maps via USB and it corrupted my driver digital display unit (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290736).
Neo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 00:52   #8
ankjohnson

I actually think it’s pretty good. Often compare proposed routes with google maps and usually identical. You have to familiarise yourself with it, like any system. I’ve heard Volvo are going to migrate to Google in next year or two?
ankjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 16:54   #9
brissle

I have a June 2017 XC60 and am still struggling with the Sensus navigation system.
This is our first experience of SatNav (have always used maps previously) and i find it very fiddly to set a destination.
It's OK if I use a postcode, but sometimes I don't have that.
If I want to get to a restaurant recommended by someone when we are on a caravan site I want to be able to just enter something like "The Anchor Inn, Tinturn" but that doesn't seem an option.
I'm sure it's all a matter of practice, but I find it more time consuming than using maps (my passenger actually uses the maps).
Another example - suppose I want to travel long distance avoiding motorways except around bid towns / cities - that doesn't seem to be a programmable option. We often want that in Europe.

Any guidance / advice would be appreciated.
Maybe I'm just too old fashioned and hooked on maps.
brissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 17:27   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissle View Post
I have a June 2017 XC60 and am still struggling with the Sensus navigation system.
This is our first experience of SatNav (have always used maps previously) and i find it very fiddly to set a destination.
It's OK if I use a postcode, but sometimes I don't have that.
If I want to get to a restaurant recommended by someone when we are on a caravan site I want to be able to just enter something like "The Anchor Inn, Tinturn" but that doesn't seem an option.
I'm sure it's all a matter of practice, but I find it more time consuming than using maps (my passenger actually uses the maps).
Another example - suppose I want to travel long distance avoiding motorways except around bid towns / cities - that doesn't seem to be a programmable option. We often want that in Europe.

Any guidance / advice would be appreciated.
Maybe I'm just too old fashioned and hooked on maps.
Most of what you talk of it is there and a lot more .. , You should try and get used to the voice recognition to make things easier , all you have to say " Navigation go to " BS4 4DF " did you get a printed navigation manual ? if you study that for an hour it will give you an idea of what benefits the system has . There is a built in owners manual in the sensus , but best reading that in the house in the chair rather than outside with the ignition on worrying about the battery .
Voice recognition will carry out a great deal of the tasks you do when driving daily . Such as " I am too hot" and it will turn the temperature down a few degrees . likewise turn the heated seats on or off , warmer or cooler..
Yes the Anchor Inn is a nice place :-) that may well work too . Have a browse through the navigation menus for settings you can change ..

The best part of the navigation system is listening to the directions with a quick glance at the smaller screen in between the two gauges in the instrument panel ..