Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Help how far do I go?

Views : 4711

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2018, 20:59   #1
ians

Default V70 Help how far do I go?

I have a c30 R design sport which I have enjoyed but needed something bigger and bought a 2002 v70d5. I know the engine well having had a s60 some years ago. I didnt pay much £750 and the guy had it 8 years 155 000 mile. I had it serviced and turbo oil return pipe fixed 200 quid. they told me brakes are needed all round cost again 200 quid. Next job is cambelt I thought it had been done in 2013 but no paperwork and feel I cant take a risk last done at 82000 miles cost again will be 250 ish. The car runs well and very relaxed drive I do like it. Now the question do I sell it on now or change cambelt, 2 tyres, recharge air con and lastly the gear change between 2nd and 3rd if you rush it you get crunch noise. I feel a bit stupid buying it but it was cheap and once the jobs are done it's a really useful car giving around 50 mpg. What would you guys do repair or sell on advice needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo9.jpg (184.0 KB, 54 views)
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 22:10   #2
reggit
Premier Member

Have a good look at the tensioner/ idler pulleys , if they’re a decent make they will have a manufacture date stamped on them. I used phone camera which proved what I’d been told but had no written proof, that they’d been done.
Aircon may be clutch gap to large, there’s an easy (and free) bodge to get it working. Look for sirob (cheshired5 on here) videos on YouTube.
If you’re able to DIY it’s not too expensive to fettle, but if you need to put it through a garage for everything it will be a different story.
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 23:46   #3
jim jordan

keep it,bought my v70 d5 2002 for 500 spent that again and did all work myself ,now just flew through it's 2nd mot with me no advisories and just clocked up today 227,000 miles they just go on an on i'll never sell it
jim jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jim jordan For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 08:34   #4
reggit
Premier Member

I’d agree, keep it. I had to change mine at bery short notice and paid too much (£1300) but needed a replacement car the same day (not ideal) and the one I picked up is well spec’d and had a great history apart from the last 2 years. I had to spend around £500 as well, although that was getting it to how I wanted it, probably fixing the satnav and putting a towbar on won’t be important to all. All seems bullet proof now and it has (for us) the really valuable ‘family pack’ which I’ll now struggle to be without when this one needs changing.
Worst job I’d say was changing the intercooler, but that one had the most gains.
All work, apart from welding a broken exhaust mount, has been undertaken be myself.

Anyway happy Christmas!
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 09:07   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

Always a subjective type thing this.First consider how much you like/dislike the car,then figure a rough idea of what you'd get for it selling it as is add on cost of fixes[brakes/belt change]and then figure out what that amount would buy you-bearing in mind a "new" purchase may need money spending on it.Brakes are an easy d.i.y. proposition to change so may cut your repair bill.155,000mls is not a lot of mileage for one of these to cover.All in all if you like the car and it meets your criteria/needs for a vehicle I'd keep it and repair it/have it repaired.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 00:28   #6
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

The uncertainty of the timing belt change PLUS the ease of AC recharge/clutch shimming PLUS the transmission's 2-3 hiccough = what you have to weigh against reselling (dumping) this £950 car.

We have to know how much wrench turning you do to establish your costs.

Can you do a few drain & fills OR possibly a full pump-out to see if the 2-3 hiccough can be mitigated? This'd save money and ease your planning.

As mentioned, you may just need the AC clutch shimmed. However, leakage of refrigerant in a 17 MY old car isn't unheard of so an evacuation and reload might do you.
What's funny is that after the evacuation, removal of the AC compressor is straightforward. Then the same technician reloads the system. Simply add the cost of a quality rebuilt compressor. It's have a new clutch.

You know the cost of the other items (tires, brakes).

MINUSES:
Used car prices are really low over there. Hustling a 2002 is going to be be difficult right from the start.
The more £ you spend the harder it'll be.

If you refresh the belt and brakes and drive it, even with weak AC, how much time would it take to make the costs worth it?
How many miles per year do you drive?

I'm thinking keep it.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Dec 28th, 2018 at 00:33.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 21:31   #7
ians

Thanks for replies they all make a lot of sense I will keep it and it will be booked in for the Cambelt after New Year. I will replace the rear handbrake shoes at first opportunity. I will live with 2-3rd gear change for now I have seen a couple of gearboxes on ebay for £50 and will get a quote to get it changed. Will keep you all posted on costs.
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 21:47   #8
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Try changing the gearbox oil first, it may just be severely oxidised and sticky.
My wifes octavia had a synchro issue changing from first to second, I dropped the very very black oil from the gearbox coated in a heavy brown sticky residue inside, refilled with some Gulf fe 75w80, problem solved and the shift is light as a feather. Her car had done 173k not a huge difference.
I will change it again next service after its removed and absorbed the old sticky residue.
2l of oil = £20-25, always worth a punt for that.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 22:59   #9
ians

Andyv7o I will try that first because the gearbox seems to change fine when its cold
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 23:26   #10
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yes, the octavia was fine when cold.
Fwiw, both vag and volvo boxes use straight 75w oil, I replaced our vag oil with gulf fe 75w80 for a bit less thinning when hot to ensure the synchro maintains its performance. This is a known thing however on the vag boxes that 75w80 works better, cant speak for the volvo box at present (until I change mine for the same oil and see)
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote