Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Please help lol. S60 52 2.4 d5 (163bhp) squeal

Views : 1743

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2019, 22:24   #1
JoshTB94

Unhappy Please help lol. S60 52 2.4 d5 (163bhp) squeal

Hello,
Althought ive had many volvos im new to this forum i really want to find the problem with my 2.4 d5 s60 (163bph) model if that makes a difference lol but its belt related so i found thos thread and thought maybe someone could help. The car is on 170,000 miles and honestly still drives like a charm, pulls well although i havent done thag much as i dont want to make anything worse haha. Its had plenty history amd he said the timing belt was done at 120k but i cant seem to find anything on that. Im hoping someone is able to tell by the noise whether its aux related or timing belt. It revs fine however whether in idle or in gear if u rev around the 1k revs theres a slight squeak/squeal which then goes away and is perfectly fine other than that. I still plan to get it fully serviced and both belts but short of money to do both belts at the same time so if anyone hear knows if its auxx or timin related or maybe something else? It would be appreciated as i love the car its my fav volvo and i want to sort it out,
Thanks, hears a link for help https://youtu.be/kMWTA9AsXRM
JoshTB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 23:09   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Most (if not all) of these D5 engines have died when a pulley on the serpentine belt seized, the belt wrapped around the crank pulley, the cambelt jumped teeth and the engine was busted. It's almost a classic scenario.

If it's a noisy pulley it needs adressed urgently. Usually we remove the serpentine belt and inspect every pulley by hand (all of them). The a/c pulley may require just a bearing, the alternator pulley may need a replacement alternator (used is cheaper), don't use any cheap brands for replacements.

Good to have the timing belt and water pump inspected as well, if the owner put cheap parts, it can fail well before the next replacement interval

Also inspect the engine mounts
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 00:47   #3
JoshTB94

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Most (if not all) of these D5 engines have died when a pulley on the serpentine belt seized, the belt wrapped around the crank pulley, the cambelt jumped teeth and the engine was busted. It's almost a classic scenario.

If it's a noisy pulley it needs adressed urgently. Usually we remove the serpentine belt and inspect every pulley by hand (all of them). The a/c pulley may require just a bearing, the alternator pulley may need a replacement alternator (used is cheaper), don't use any cheap brands for replacements.

Good to have the timing belt and water pump inspected as well, if the owner put cheap parts, it can fail well before the next replacement interval

Also inspect the engine mounts
I dont have to much knowledge when it comes to belts, if for example its a aux belt pulley i cant seem to find where to buy them? I know timing belt kits come with them but i cant seem to find aix belt pulleys, or are the pulleys from timing belt kits for example also the ones for the aux belt? Sorry unfortunately i dont have to much knowledge lol i could take it to a garage but i dont want them to try and swindle me so i was hoping someone could tell by the sound what it is so i could buy the part and just take it to a garage. Ill be buying a new water pump too but are they known for that sort of noise when wearing away? Although i know little im sure its not the engine mounts, but what do i kno lol thanks for the input, appreciated.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 07:19   #4
reggit
Premier Member

Can't tell a lot from your video. Can you do the same thing in daylight but with the bonnet up and the camera looking at the belts?

When I got my current V70 about a year ago, it had a funny noise on the aux belt, like has been said this belt is the cause of many engine failures, I changed all the pulleys and eventually located it to a cheap belt put on by the previous owner.

If your skills are upto it, it's worth taking the belt off and running the engine to see if the noise is still there. Gives you a good chance to spin all the pulleys and check they are running smoothly. The alternator pulley should spin in one direction and lock up in the other (you'll need to stop the alternator shaft turning to check this).
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 09:25   #5
MarvinMitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
the alternator pulley may need a replacement alternator
Hi! If I couldn't undo the pulley I would take my alternator to a shop to have pulley replaced.
Why take chances with another used alternator and pulley?
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 18:00   #6
bkulcsar

Default Alternator pulley

+1

It is enough to replace only the alternator pulley (with good quality INA part).
A second hand alternator might be a lottery.
Last time I changed the alternator pulley I took my alternator apart and replaced the two bearings which I found to be extremely dry (no grease at all) and noisy.

Check out SiRob's (cheshireD5) videos on youtube on how to check the alternator pulley.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 20:43   #7
oragex
Premier Member

I think it's just a different approach.. I've read about these pulleys not being easy to pull, have to pay for the tool and for a quality pulley (not a cheap one).

Basically what goes bad on these alternators is the clutch pulley and the regulator brushes. So a used alternator with a new pulley will have the same odds to fail at the regulator as a used alternator with a pulley still turning smooth, because both will have old regulators. As long as a used clutch pulley is smooth to turn, it will last for a good 50k miles. But of course, one should have the possibility to test himself the pulley before purchasing the alternator (so buying off Ebay is not the best bet, better from breakers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Pzmj0jxfw

Myself I did pull & sold a few alternators both for 2001-2004 and for 2005up (different regulator), also did play a little with the regulators. As long as the pulley/clutch assembly spins easily and smoothly, a used alternator should be a rather safe bet. I had a single bad luck with a replacement regulator (even with the Bosch brand, these are rather fragile and may last less than the original ones)

Used alternators come in two flavors: the old original ones and the already replaced ones. Even the old original ones can be still found with 100K or so miles on them and should be good for another 50K miles or so. Many owners have already replaced theirs, so getting such used alternator from the breakers should be a good bet - easy to spot with their Bosch sticker on side of the cover of the regulator. I do recommend keeping the old regulator for spare if replacing the old alternator - and also double check to get the correct regulator numbers same as the original one (look up on the Fcpeuro.com site for pics)

But in the end it really comes down to the ease of replacement: removing and replacing the whole alternator or removing the alternator and buying the tool and replacing the pulley.

Last edited by oragex; Feb 17th, 2019 at 20:50.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oragex For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:47   #8
MarvinMitt

I see but why would I be happy with "maybe" if for half the price I could forget about it for years.
INA pulley is about 25€. The 33 spline bit cost me 5€ and inner long 12 spline M10 cost 2€. When the latter is cut in size the pulley can be done without removing the alternator.

As for other parts it's the same. Brand name bearings cost me about 12€, slip ring 2€.
Replace and forget about it. Changing brushes and regulator later is an easy job.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 23:32   #9
JoshTB94

I know i probably sound like an idiot but where can i find alternator pulleys? Are they seperate from timing belt pulls etc.? I ask because im about to order a timing belt kit that come with waterpump, pulleys etc. But i cant seem to find anywhere to buy pulleys for the alternator? Is it one of thos awkward jobs where you have to order it from volvo or look on ebay? I just wamt to buy everything needed so i have no issues. I am lookin into ordering an alternator as well, out of curiousity is it reccommended to have it all changed like belts alternator etc at the same time or would it not matter if i sorted all the belts and water pump and then ordered new alternator like a month down the line?
All replies appreciated, im loving this volvo so really want to make sure i sort the issue before my car just dies at a red light XD
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 23:37   #10
JoshTB94

or is the alternator pulley on the alternator itself? So if i bought a brand new alternator would the pulley be on that? Or is it a seperate one altogether? I have a 52 plate 2.4 d5 s (163bhp) if snyone could link me to the right pulleys relating to the alternator that would be awesome thanks

Tags
2.4 d5, aux belt, help and advice, timing belt, volvo s60