Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 Block from SW Autos

Views : 38871

Replies : 425

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2007, 22:33   #21
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaffronC70 View Post
IMO as he is so busy, why don't you commision SW to locate, pack and send the engine ?

That way it will be a job for him to do and it will get done ?
Chris I hear what you're saying but I'd rather not have to pay for something that is already my own. I'm merely trying to help someone else who is going to face a HUGE expense if we don't get the block for him to use. In any case, Tim has been in contact with Stuart, who mentioned that he did not have the time to pack and ship the block (as he does not have pallets) and preferred it if someone collected it in person, so I am merely doing my best to accomodate his requests.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998

Last edited by pyaap; Nov 18th, 2007 at 23:47.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 01:12   #22
Ross9
Master Member

Done more than enough already IMO Pyaap. So Stuart neither has time to dig out or find a part that is not his, or package it up for sending, in my opinion this is absolute nonsense. I've searched piles of engines and car parts before and took under 30 mins to find what I was looking for. Sounds like their stalling for whateer reason, and thats never a good sign.

Ross
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 12:28   #23
bobcat
Premier Member

Just to calrify, its not actually a engine just a block and crank web. They were left at swautos as scrap over 2 1/2 years ago with a load of other bits from when stuart built ashoks engine.

the crank had allready been given to ashok a while back and stuart sent out the rods and pistons from the engine to andyp for a nominal fee (loss in stuarts case) of £50 i believe. so i think he's been more than helpful.

I love how people seem to think that swautos is a charity and that they can all get something for free, ie alot of the posters seem to think it acceptable to ask swautos to store parts for free for years, and then as soon as someone wants them back sw's should drop everything, spend their time looking for them and them package them ready for collection - and all this for free.

Im sure if those wanting these parts pay for the storage costs, then pay stuart at his hourly rate for the time he spends looking for them, chatting to the person that comes to collect the item etc (maybe near £100 and hour as he's building RB's at the mo) he would be more than happy to get the bits together himself, if not just to cover the costs he has incurred so far speaking to people on the phone asking to come and pick the bits up, people that have come down in person and asked for the parts!!!!

all those people that think the above is wrong, then how about you come down to mine at the weekend, as i have a shed full of volvo bits that need cleaning\striping\sorting out etc - all this will have to be done for free offcourse.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk

Last edited by bobcat; Nov 19th, 2007 at 12:31.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 12:35   #24
Andy P
Swedish Cabbage

Just pistons to clarify.

Andy P
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 17:31   #25
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Just to calrify, its not actually a engine just a block and crank web. They were left at swautos as scrap over 2 1/2 years ago with a load of other bits from when stuart built ashoks engine.

the crank had allready been given to ashok a while back and stuart sent out the rods and pistons from the engine to andyp for a nominal fee (loss in stuarts case) of £50 i believe. so i think he's been more than helpful.

I love how people seem to think that swautos is a charity and that they can all get something for free, ie alot of the posters seem to think it acceptable to ask swautos to store parts for free for years, and then as soon as someone wants them back sw's should drop everything, spend their time looking for them and them package them ready for collection - and all this for free.

Im sure if those wanting these parts pay for the storage costs, then pay stuart at his hourly rate for the time he spends looking for them, chatting to the person that comes to collect the item etc (maybe near £100 and hour as he's building RB's at the mo) he would be more than happy to get the bits together himself, if not just to cover the costs he has incurred so far speaking to people on the phone asking to come and pick the bits up, people that have come down in person and asked for the parts!!!!

all those people that think the above is wrong, then how about you come down to mine at the weekend, as i have a shed full of volvo bits that need cleaning\striping\sorting out etc - all this will have to be done for free offcourse.
You have a point. Perhaps you need to make it clear there will be a charge in the future or something like that and stick it up at the garage. Then there can none of this expected

"handouts". Thank god for me at least the Indie I use to service my volvo doesn't charge me for the time he takes to talk to everyone of his customers explaining the work done, parts that went wrong, how to do it up etc. And he certainly spends a lot of time explaining to us who aren't mechanics. Mind you I have never heard him tell me that he is going to charge me time when he calls around to find a quote on parts even though he has cars lined up in the garage to work on.

cheers
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 18:04   #26
JD.7
VOC Member

[quote=bobcat;320800]
(maybe near £100 and hour as he's building RB's at the mo)

any of theese ones ? http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php?part=Products

i need my ws 7 tuning
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 18:57   #27
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Hi Matt,

I hope you would get the facts straight before posting as your comments are very misleading, certainly don’t represent the truth on many counts, and probably inadvertently reflects very poorly on SW Autos.

Quote:
Can you please clarify whom you got this information from, or is it purely your speculation? Firstly, it actually was a complete bottom end, which I believe amounts to a tad bit more than "just a block and crank web". Please correct me if I am wrong, but I understand a complete bottom end is comprised of a block, crankshaft, crank-web, sump, pistons, rods and other associated ancillaries. Secondly the engine was built and mapped just before the Avon Park meet in March 2006, so hardly “over 2 ½ years ago”. Thirdly, the bottom end was found to be pristine and the joint decision with Stuart was to possibly gradually build it up as a spare when time / materials permitted, so I very much doubt you could classify it as “scrap” as you’ve insinuated.

Quote:
Again, whom / where did you get this information from? When left with Stuart, the bottom end was intact, as it probably was up till May of this year when it was stripped for the pistons to be sent to Andy P; if it was taken to pieces in the meanwhile, that was certainly done without my knowledge. So, when and how was the crank given / sent to me? I would appreciate it if you could clarify that, exact dates are unnecessary, just an approximate time will do.

Next, as Andy has already clarified, he only needed, and was sent, the pistons and not rods as you've alleged. Any charges which Stuart levied are between him and Andy as they have obviously agreed on it; its nothing to do with you or me or anyone else for that matter. I have made no profit from “selling” the pistons to Andy. Far from it actually, as Andy will I’m sure confirm, he was desperate for a set of T4 pistons and as it is my nature to try and do my best to help fellow X40 owners who are enthusiastic about their cars, I agreed he could have mine; I NEVER ONCE mentioned any costs or charges to Andy. So once again, please don’t try and implicate me in your theoretical version of events purely to justify your motives, and take my goodness for weakness.

Quote:
I myself love how some people can make a mountain out of a mole-hill, when it suits their own ends. Were you there when Stuart and I discussed the plans for the bottom end? If not, how did you reach the conclusion that I merely wanted to leave my engine there for him to just “store”? Again, I’ve been away for some time in the summer and Tim first contacted Stuart in July / August to get the block I believe so I think any sensible person will agree that he has been patient as understandably Stuart may have been busy – 3 to 4 months down the road, you can hardly say that neither Tim nor I have expected anyone to “drop everything”; on the contrary I certainly have done everything I can to accommodate the requests made to Tim. Thankfully, my earlier conversation with Stuart confirmed this; he has agreed that payment for his time was / is not the issue.

Quote:
Next, why have you brought the issue of “storage costs” into it? Are you insinuating that I am liable for "storage costs" because Stuart has / had never once mentioned that to me and if space was getting that tight, I’d imagine he would have brought it to my attention. Furthermore, you have deliberately chosen to ignore the fact that I have been a staunch supporter of Stuart's company from day one. You may be unaware of the fact that Stuart has sold a number of items, including a complete forged engine, to friends / contacts of mine in the Far East. So far from expecting anything “for free”, I established those contacts in the hope that he can further his business; something which I did “for free”. Stuart certainly seemed pleased to do some business with people / companies overseas and consequently, some of the same people helped Stuart source items at a substantial discount (e.g. the GT30 turbos in Alastair's car, Joe's car and even the GT35/40R for Stuart's 850R - I have invoices to prove this). On a matter of principle, its not in my nature to expect a reward for helping a friend.

Finally, just for your information, I’ve spoken to Stuart earlier this afternoon and thankfully, it would appear that none of what you’ve said in your post represents his thoughts on the matter; hence I think you have, unfortunately, done him a great disservice in the eyes of many. I can understand why you would feel the way you do, but at the very least, in future, please try to be factual, and think before you post; that way your comments may have some credibility. What you’ve said isn’t fair by any means and definitely needed to be set straight, which I hope I have. All being well, Stuart will hopefully locate the items in the next few days (he asked for the engine number to cross reference with, and I have obtained that from my dealer and emailed it across) and Tim will be back on the road enjoying his car, which is all that matters.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998

Last edited by pyaap; Nov 19th, 2007 at 21:54.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 20:03   #28
timway
Snail Wars: A new shell

Hi,

Yes, as Ashok says I did phone SW Autos back in late July/August to try to arrange to get Ashok's spare bottom end sent over to MRG. The reason being my original engine had been suffering an internal coolant leak and unfortunately replacing the head gasket, checking the head etc (at a cost well into 4 figures!!) hadn't cured the problem - so the likely diagnosis was a crack somewhere in the engine block - although this wasn't obvious when the head was removed.
I did ask SW to quote me a price for postage and packing so I certainly wasn't expecting it to be done for free! They didn't ever get back to me with a price despite a couple of follow up calls/emails so eventually I decided to buy a complete 2nd hand engine from a breakers.

Unfortunately the replacement engine turned out to be a complete dud as well! - despite only having done a claimed 37,000 miles and costing £930, it turned out to have worn big end bearings, a cracked piston, bent con rod and badly scored block! (of course this wasn't obvious until it had been fitted, at significant cost of course )
- And now the company who supplied me the engine say I cant have a refund because I had it stripped at MRG without first consulting them! (but that's another story)

So I again contacted SW a few weeks ago, by phone initially then email, to see if I could get the remaining bits sent over. - Because now my choices are to either spend nearly £4000 getting an exchange engine from Volvo, risk another used engine from a breakers, or rebuild my old engine using the Ashoks spare parts - which is probably the best option. But so far they have been too busy to get the parts sent over...

Tim
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 22:04   #29
timway
Snail Wars: A new shell

By the way, forgot to say earlier ,

Many thanks to Ashok for all the help and the offer of spare engine parts!!!!
Also thanks to Joules and Chris for offering to pick up the bits, and to Jod for the offer of a courier service

Tim__________

Last edited by timway; Nov 19th, 2007 at 22:20.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 09:05   #30
Andy P
Swedish Cabbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyaap View Post
Next, as Andy has already clarified, he only needed, and was sent, the pistons and not rods as you've alleged. Any charges which Stuart levied are between him and Andy as they have obviously agreed on it; its nothing to do with you or me or anyone else for that matter. I have made no profit from “selling” the pistons to Andy. Far from it actually, as Andy will I’m sure confirm, he was desperate for a set of T4 pistons and as it is my nature to try and do my best to help fellow X40 owners who are enthusiastic about their cars, I agreed he could have mine; I NEVER ONCE mentioned any costs or charges to Andy. So once again, please don’t try and implicate me in your theoretical version of events purely to justify your motives, and take my goodness for weakness.
What Ashok has stated is true. Ashok contacted me after hearing that I had bent a rod (or 3) to see if he could help in any way. After much discussion, it was decided that I would replace my 2.0T pistons for phase 2 T4 pistons to lower CR. Ashok explained to me that he had the correct ones but they were still sat inside his spare engine at SW autos, and that I would have to contact Stuart to discuss any labour charges to have them removed. Having rung Stuart (who was very helpful) I was quoted £50+vat - I also bought many other parts from Stuart at the same time; turbo, clutch, bottom end bearings, main bearings etc.

I would have been very happy to pay Ashok for his pistons but he refused. He was genuinely more concerned at getting my car back on the road as soon as possible and if he could help in any way, he would.

I'd like to thank Ashok once again for the pistons, and more importantly, for his knowledge and taking the time to explain everything to me. The most generous person I know. Thanks.

Andy P