Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 vs D5 - Direct comparison

Views : 38773

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:29   #21
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Interesting - managed to find a comparison between the two engines and it surprised me that the difference of 42 BHP and a lack of AWD results in a difference of only 1.1 MPG!

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/explore/...rformance.aspx

I know that the published figures are not what to expect (except in one case ), but as we are doing a comparison that is largely irrelevant.

This means that the figures that Daleman has reported are probably correct, and that they are inline with an expectation of a real world which is 10-15% below the theoretical laboratory conditions.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:53   #22
Vecais

It does not surprise me. You rarely can get something for nothing. I would expect that the smaller engine pushing the same mass around would get approximately the same fuel mileage as the equivalent larger engine.

However, it is good to hear that the 2L engine has good performance, similar to the 2.5L engine, up to reasonable operating speed. Good enough for most people.

In Oz generally there are no speed limits above 110 kph. But they do not offer the D3.

Edit: Of course, the D3 is FWD only which may not suit the Australian market.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 20:16   #23
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Interesting - managed to find a comparison between the two engines and it surprised me that the difference of 42 BHP and a lack of AWD results in a difference of only 1.1 MPG!

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/explore/...rformance.aspx

I know that the published figures are not what to expect (except in one case ), but as we are doing a comparison that is largely irrelevant.

This means that the figures that Daleman has reported are probably correct, and that they are inline with an expectation of a real world which is 10-15% below the theoretical laboratory conditions.
Very interesting figures indeed! However, my mpg figure of 47mpg would be for the extra urban as I mainly did motorways, looooong ones and almost no traffic, cruise etc. Some obvious fast stints on the unrestricted sections in Germany.

However, having the D5 myself, there is no-way I would ever get anywhere near the indicated figure. Not even by knocking off 10%!!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 20:20   #24
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Very interesting figures indeed! However, my mpg figure of 47mpg would be for the extra urban as I mainly did motorways, looooong ones and almost no traffic, cruise etc. Some obvious fast stints on the unrestricted sections in Germany.

However, having the D5 myself, there is no-way I would ever get anywhere near the indicated figure. Not even by knocking off 10%!!
Ahhh, memories of when I lived and worked in Germany - wonderful country, excellent food and good fun on the autobahn
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 20:34   #25
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Ahhh, memories of when I lived and worked in Germany - wonderful country, excellent food and good fun on the autobahn
Agree on all points! Currently I enjoy all those things every week....
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 02:06   #26
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:

Was you a bricky or chippy?
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 12:44   #27
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
Was you a bricky or chippy?
Neither

'Squaddie' for a few years then had to start working for a living - but the hotels and rewards became better when I started to work for a living, and Munich/Frankfurt were so much nicer that Hanover!

Last edited by wimorrison; Aug 10th, 2010 at 13:21.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 20:15   #28
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Neither

'Squaddie' for a few years then had to start working for a living - but the hotels and rewards became better when I started to work for a living, and Munich/Frankfurt were so much nicer that Hanover!

Agree!! Hannover is not the nicest place in Germany, although the surrounding areas are very nice!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 10:06   #29
Teejay1
Master Member

Default Loaded D5 Geartronic

Only had the D5 for a day but I'm impressed with its overtaking capability. Give me so much more confidence to overtake. Engine noise at idle is louder than I thought it would be, even louder than my trade in Picasso.

Early days yet, I've also got a message which states "Coolant Low". Got this error when moving the car a few yards to let someone out. So I'll have to take a look this morning before heading off to Robin Hood's Bay in about 10 mins.

Last edited by Teejay1; Aug 29th, 2010 at 10:07. Reason: Should say LOANED but can't edit that !
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 14:01   #30
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
Only had the D5 for a day but I'm impressed with its overtaking capability. Give me so much more confidence to overtake. Engine noise at idle is louder than I thought it would be, even louder than my trade in Picasso.

Early days yet, I've also got a message which states "Coolant Low". Got this error when moving the car a few yards to let someone out. So I'll have to take a look this morning before heading off to Robin Hood's Bay in about 10 mins.
The D5 really has great pull and overtaking ability. It pulls like a steady train and doesn't stop until you hit the limiter...
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's