Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 - Steering turn-in and general responsiveness

Views : 758

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 11:22   #1
Simon J
Premier Member

Default C70 - Steering turn-in and general responsiveness

I'm a very happy C70 T5 convertible owner and I recognise that in the handling department it is never going to set the world on fire. Likening it to a blancmange is a bit unkind to blancmanges (!), but it really isn't the most impressive of cars in terms of steering responsiveness and turn-in. My car has the Volvo strut brace and the Volvo lowered dynamic chassis (whatever that is!) so it's as good as the factory can deliver it. But is there anything I can do to improve things? I noticed it particularly on my holidays when hustling along the autostrada between Ventimiglia and Milan which seems to consist of one swooping curve after another across bridges and though tunnels, and all at close to 100 mph if you don't want to get run over! In those swooping curves the car just didn't feel all that stable and changing lanes was tricky as there wasn't any real feeling coming back though the steering. Admittedly the car was well loaded with a large and heavy suitcase on the boot rack but even when normally loaded it isn't wonderful. I'm sure there must be ways to improve the steering and make it sharper and more responsive.

Any suggestions, folks?
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 23:27   #2
SG

It might not make much of a difference, but there's one more rung on the factory chassis ladder: 'Sport'/'Lowered Sport'.

This was standard on the T5 coupes. The other coupes came with 'Dynamic' as you have now.

For some reason (probably demographics) the convertibles were more softly sprung. The T5 came with 'Dynamic' and the others with 'Comfort'.

It's probably just the spring rates that are different so you could look at getting a set from a dealer. As it's a factory Volvo item I don't think it would count as a modification so it shouldn't impact on your insurance in the way that an aftermarket set might.
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:53   #3
Simon J
Premier Member

Indeed, I hadn't noticed that the coupes had the 'sports' chassis option as only the convertible was being sold when we bought ours so the 2003 brochure only lists the Comfort and Dynamic chassis options, But the 2002 brochure, which did include the coupe, lists the Sports option for the coupe only as you say. But I wonder was it the demographics, i.e. us convertible owners are too old and creaky to want stiff suspension (!), or did they think that the already flexible convertible body couldn't take the stiffer suspension? I suppose I could try contacting Volvo to see if they can explain what the difference is, i.e. whether it's springs, dampers, or both? Or easier still, I'll ask the parts guy in my local dealer to check the part numbers to see which are different.

And as an aside, SG, did you see my post a few weeks ago about my USA Spec iPod installation. I thought you would be interested to see how it turned out.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:13   #4
clarker
hybrids must die

I've come from a tuned Ford (go) Ka (rt) to a C70 Coupe in recent months.

Lets call it me growing up

I've noticed it takes, like, ages to settle into a turn - but with loads of grip once its in there. But I've got a few unknowns, the main being I haven't touched anything under the car since when I aquired it in March.

I'm going for a raft of upgrades, mainly suspension to start with (and those spangly post-2k3 lights) so I'll post up how it all goes as and when.

- Russ
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:43   #5
arvi

Default lowered dynamic chassis

i looked at my vehicle spec sheet it mentions my car has lowered dynamic chassis

as an option is this just the normal GT pack or is it the further suspension mod i have parked it next to another 2.4 gt same colour and wheels but my car did seem a touch lower

handling wise i find the car has good grip but the rear does not seem as well planted unless it has a full tank

mines a soft top
arvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 20:54   #6
Simon J
Premier Member

The chassis options (Comfort and Dynamic on the convertibles) are independent of the GT pack. The lowered Dynamic chassis was a no cost option on the T5, and available at a cost on all other variants. The lowered chassis should be immediately obvious when compared to a standard car as there is a greatly reduced gap between the top of the front wheel and the wheel arch.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 11:23   #7
Peter850

Default Some thoughts

Thoughts, based on BMW roadster ownership and having modded it with Schnitzer suspension, 855 T5 and now V70R AWD.

The body rigidity as you suspect is the main limiter in what Volvo can do to the suspension. The Z3 had a fair amount of flex, after installing strut brace and fitting Schnitzer springs the improvement on turn-in etc was very good - the downside was that on non-smooth surfaces the tyres spend less time in full contact with the road and so make handling interesting in the wet at high speeds.

Re driving technique, I find with the V70R that if you attempt to make a change in attitude (i.e. steering input) as you just enter or are in the corner then the car does not respond well - i.e. the damping is insufficient to handle the dynamic change in loading. If you make those changes just before the entry point, i.e. you load up the steering and suspension and apply just a little more throttle so that you just start to accelerate through the corner and keep it all very smooth THEN you can add 10mph to the cornering speed AND it all feels very smooth and safe.

Suggest you find a suitable road and try it. If I am trying to teach you something you already know or have tried - sorry!

Peter
Peter850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 20:01   #8
Simon J
Premier Member

Peter,

The way you describe loading up the steering by turning in early reminds me of my days as a Mini driver many years ago when I discovered that by adopting this approach you could get a standard 850 Mini flat out down the infamous Bradshaw's Brae on the old Ards TT circuit outside Belfast. Not for the faint hearted, but good fun nonetheless, and when you're only seventeen, you don't have any fear!

But back to the C70 (and middle age!), it's more a question of lack of responsiveness and a generally soggy feeling. Perhaps an anti roll bar might be the answer. It would improve responsiveness on turn-in, but wouldn't affect straightline comfort.