Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Horn not working?...

Views : 13351

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 11:18   #1
JJKM

Default Horn not working?...

Hi all,

My horn has recently stopped working without warning... Not sure why though, have checked earth and connections are clean and fuse is good (everything else is working anyway). Has anyone got any suggestions before I start taking too much to pieces...
JJKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 11:57   #2
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Is there a relay in the circuit?

Have you tried a direct wire from the battery?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 22:15   #3
geoffo
saving 240's one by one

Default two weeks....

Remove the steering column top cover by undoing the two screws (its the square-ish cover that fits above the indicator/wiper stalks) and check that the black wire is attached to the spade connector (I bet it has snapped) that comes through the steering wheel bracket. If this is where the problem is let me know and I'll post pics of my fix.

.....two weeks is how long it took me to figure out where the fault was........
geoffo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geoffo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 09:25   #4
JJKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffo View Post
Remove the steering column top cover by undoing the two screws (its the square-ish cover that fits above the indicator/wiper stalks) and check that the black wire is attached to the spade connector (I bet it has snapped) that comes through the steering wheel bracket. If this is where the problem is let me know and I'll post pics of my fix.

Thanks very much for the help, will try later today and let you know!
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 21:44   #5
JJKM

Thank you very much for the help. Wasn't a broken wire after all, and still don't know. I cleaned the contacts you mentioned and it has since worked so hopefully, was just light corrosion! Thanks once again!
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 08:07   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The horns take a high current with no relay, so are very dependent on excellent connections.
The terminals at the horns themselves are susceptible to corrosion because of their exposed position, and the connection and rubbing carbon contact inside the steering wheel hub is another weak point.

One overlooked point is the steering column universal joints. These have to take the earth return. There is supposed to be a coiled link-wire between each pair of clamp bolts. Often omitted, this can make a big difference to horn performance if all else fails.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 21:43   #7
Luky
Luky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKM View Post
Thank you very much for the help. Wasn't a broken wire after all, and still don't know. I cleaned the contacts you mentioned and it has since worked so hopefully, was just light corrosion! Thanks once again!
How did u fix your horn? my volvo s40 horn and buttons on the steering wheel stopped working yesterday ;(
What did you do to fix it??
Luky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 00:11   #8
MrBric

Quote:

how did you fix the carbon brush thing?
MrBric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 03:20   #9
truckertomnz

Quote:

I know this thread is old but so is my truck
I have the broken black wire but I can't see any spade, can't see where it possibly goes, please help
truckertomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 17:25   #10
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Doesn't it earth the switch pad to the top of the column? Then when you press the pad it completes the circuit through the spring-loaded pencil contact to the wire from the horns?

It's easy to break or pull the wire off when you prise off the pad - it's quite short, and the pad just dangles on the wire.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote