Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where to mount "hidden" immobiliser key?

Views : 3575

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2020, 10:22   #11
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Not recommending it at all but a neater way would be to buy a used antenna, remove your existing one from around the ignition and leave it connected then squirrel it away deep behind the dash with your working key. Then put your newly acquired "used" unconnected antenna in place around the ignition. That way everything looks normal and you haven't ripped into the factory loom.

TBH if you want an extra fully working key you will have to pay up to volvo, they make it difficult and expensive for a reason...

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 11:37   #12
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
If you do decide to do this, 'S.R.', you should also be aware that it could be used by your insurer to invalidate your cover. Solving one problem could result in your having a larger one ...

Just saying ...

Regards, John.
Yeah but the chances of anything happening are next to none and if the car got stolen and wasn't covered by insurance then meh.. It's not worth much anyway.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 11:39   #13
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
Not recommending it at all but a neater way would be to buy a used antenna, remove your existing one from around the ignition and leave it connected then squirrel it away deep behind the dash with your working key. Then put your newly acquired "used" unconnected antenna in place around the ignition. That way everything looks normal and you haven't ripped into the factory loom.

TBH if you want an extra fully working key you will have to pay up to volvo, they make it difficult and expensive for a reason...
The only downside with this is that the antenna ring would no longer be illuminated which I like. But I could identify the bulb wires and tap just these to the used antenna ring?

Old Jan 27th, 2020, 13:41   #14
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Are you saying that I'd just need to get hold of this antenna ring, then tap the connections from the original antenna ring for the 2 antenna wires and I could place it anywhere taped together with the key and it would work?
As far as I can see that should work, as acshortt5 observes you'd have to cut into the loom to do it, but then as you note if you had a second ring you could move the original ring and loom and hack in for a supply to the light in the dummy ring on the ignition lock.

Quote:
If you do decide to do this, 'S.R.', you should also be aware that it could be used by your insurer to invalidate your cover. Solving one problem could result in your having a larger one ...

Just saying ...

Regards, John.
If someone nicks the car the evidence will have been removed with it and when doing it the 'right way' is costing as much as the insurers would pay out it's worth the gamble. (IMHO)

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 14:29   #15
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

David and 'S.R.'; no big deal if, as you say, the car was stolen and you are prepared to stand the loss.

Unlikely I agree, but what if you were involved in an accident and your 'modification' was discovered? Risk worth taking? Your decision. It was suggested to me in similar circumstances, but I chose not to.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 02:59   #16
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
David and 'S.R.'; no big deal if, as you say, the car was stolen and you are prepared to stand the loss.

Unlikely I agree, but what if you were involved in an accident and your 'modification' was discovered? Risk worth taking? Your decision. It was suggested to me in similar circumstances, but I chose not to.

Regards, John.
Flashing a non imobiliser bin file would be a much neater and less detectable way.....

I can't imagine an insurer worrying too much about removing the steering cowling to look to see if the imobiliser has been edited in the event of an accident!

They would be far more interested in checking for dual rear foglights
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 09:59   #17
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
Flashing a non imobiliser bin file would be a much neater and less detectable way.....

I can't imagine an insurer worrying too much about removing the steering cowling to look to see if the imobiliser has been edited in the event of an accident!

They would be far more interested in checking for dual rear foglights
Showing my ignorance I know, 'PNut', but I haven't the foggiest idea of what 'Flashing a non imobiliser bin file' (sic) is or would involve. Is this a way of disabling the imobiliser on a car that is equipped with - but does not legally require - one, not unlike removing the 'cat' from a car in similar circumstances, that we have been discussing in another thread?

Is this something that I could do on my V70, and would it be acceptable to my insurance company, I wonder?

Meanwhile, on the advice of my garage, I shall continue to be careful using my existing key and trust that nothing untoward happens. When I bought the car over three years ago, I was looking at around £400 for two keys plus software, etc., which was getting on for what I paid for the car. It's the age-old dilemma, parts for old cars come at new car prices and keys from Volvo are certainly that!

Regards, John.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 12:08   #18
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
Is this a possibility? Do you know how it could be done? I have VIDA etc but doubt it's simply an option in there.

The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 16:39   #19
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Showing my ignorance I know, 'PNut', but I haven't the foggiest idea of what 'Flashing a non imobiliser bin file' (sic) is or would involve. Is this a way of disabling the imobiliser on a car that is equipped with - but does not legally require - one, not unlike removing the 'cat' from a car in similar circumstances, that we have been discussing in another thread?

Is this something that I could do on my V70, and would it be acceptable to my insurance company, I wonder?

Meanwhile, on the advice of my garage, I shall continue to be careful using my existing key and trust that nothing untoward happens. When I bought the car over three years ago, I was looking at around £400 for two keys plus software, etc., which was getting on for what I paid for the car. It's the age-old dilemma, parts for old cars come at new car prices and keys from Volvo are certainly that!

Regards, John.
No insurance company will endorse anything that strays away from the manufacturers specification without adding a premium for it! It will make no difference to them but they are in the business of making money and if they can easily make more they will!

However it is highly unlikely that anyone would ever be able to prove what I had suggested had been done unlike removing a cat which is far more obvious.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 16:40   #20
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Is this a possibility? Do you know how it could be done? I have VIDA etc but doubt it's simply an option in there.
What model year/car/engine do you have?

Tags
keys