Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5 - Hesitating under hard acceleration

Views : 1154

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2020, 20:00   #11
Gaztech

Bougicord is indeed oem. As is Bosch dizzy I believe
Gaztech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaztech For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 20:09   #12
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaztech View Post
Bougicord is indeed oem. As is Bosch dizzy I believe
Thanks

So real talk, as its all stock and an auto, once its running properly, am I gonna have an absolute heap that can out run all the finance deal BMW 330i/430i?

If so then I'll love it dearly and forever, until the MOT runs out.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 20:26   #13
Gaztech

Thumbs up

I would say it would keep up with them atleast depending on the situation. My car is currently 280+hp and goes extremely well but these cars struggle massively with putting any of that power on the road without a limited slip diff and modern TC. As a result a standard t5 of that era on a good stretch of b road in the sort of weather we have just now would probably struggle to show up a well powered modern car in my experience. A nice peice of dry tarmac is another story! All being said for 400 quid you can't go far wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaztech For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 20:34   #14
Shinsplintz 101

No.

A modern 330 will still eat you for breakfast.

A standard T5 auto is 225 bhp & on a hot day with sticky tyres you won't embarrass youraelf too badly - unless your auto box melts - but you wont see much under 8 sec off the lights.

What did you expect for £400? Spend £4k and you'd definitely wipe the smile of a few BMW owners faces......
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 20:41   #15
Gaztech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
No.

A modern 330 will still eat you for breakfast.

A standard T5 auto is 225 bhp & on a hot day with sticky tyres you won't embarrass youraelf too badly - unless your auto box melts - but you wont see much under 8 sec off the lights.

What did you expect for £400? Spend £4k and you'd definitely wipe the smile of a few BMW owners faces......
This guy is less concerned about disappointing you but is spot on. I am at about 3k with mine and it still struggles keeping up with powerful modern petrols but would make mince meat of any 2.0 diesel. I am in the process of the final modifying stage just now
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 20:49   #16
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
Haha. thanks!

Nah "asskicking" is not genuinely my reason for purchase. I bought it for mechanical challenge, and also just to have the iconic 5-cyl engine which I really enjoy driving, when it's not a spluttering lurchy mess.

This particular specimen also looks god awful, which is 100% my aesthetic. So that, plus 5-cyl warb-warb and turbo, is right up my street, Gives me contingency if anything happens with the 940 as well.

I agree, if you want a fast car, then you have to hit the wallet hard, but £400 is pretty good smiles-for-money. And it's nice that it doesn't really matter - someone rear ended me the other day, just shrug it off and move on. BMW on Finance, that's literal days on the phone and form filling...

Also I'm not a modder, I just can't be arsed, although I respect the art

Also also! 8 seconds 0-60 would be a dream! My primary car is a 940 automatic, that's more like 18 except i'm too scared to floor it

Last edited by taiwan740; Jan 19th, 2020 at 20:54.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 14:58   #17
taiwan740

I tried to fix it today, but it took my whole body weight with vice grips to try and remove the HT leads from the distributor cap, and it still wouldn't budge, so I gave up. I have ordered new HT leads so when they arrive I'll just cut the cables off and replace the whole damn thing.

This bloody car is ****. It's just depressing to work on. I'm gonna give it to my dad and take the 960 back I think. Can't be arsed with this front wheel drive transverse bollocks. #rant #firstworldproblems #complainsabouthavingthreecars

Last edited by taiwan740; Jan 25th, 2020 at 15:02.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 20:32   #18
taiwan740

Replacing the rotor helped the misfiring but it still coughs and splutters on all cylinders under heavy throttle. The dizzy cap never arrived so that needs doing. I've left it sufficiently long enough to regain some patience with it as my dad is using it as his potter-about machine.

Someone mentioned in some thread a while ago about the intake manifold bolts being a nice replacement for the water neck torx bolts that are stripped and need drilling out - could that person please let me know where I can find some new intake manifold bolts and what to use to drill out the existing torx bolts?

Timing belt is the next job, i don't think i'm even gonna bother with any old parts and just replace everything I see.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 21:08   #19
Lmason
L Mason

Default vaccum pipes & breather pipes renew

prob good idea to change rubber hoses, vaccum pipes & breathers to eliminate running problems
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 22:25   #20
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post
prob good idea to change rubber hoses, vaccum pipes & breathers to eliminate running problems
yeah prob - I'd rather replace the car than do that bloody PCV system job though.