Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dying Battery or Dying Alternator?!?

Views : 2563

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2020, 17:23   #1
C70Noob

Default Dying Battery or Dying Alternator?!?

Only had this car for about a month and so far it's been fine (except for that rattle which got sorted), however, 3 days ago as I'm driving I notice the battery light on the dash would periodically go on for a second or two then off again for maybe 5-20 seconds.

Every time the battery light comes on the headlights dimmed and the a/c fan slowed, the battery light then goes off the headlights flash really bright, then fade for a few seconds then dim again when the dash battery light comes on again.

The battery in the car is not the right one anyway, its a 54Ah with 530CCA, for a diesel engine, but according to what I can find it should have a 60Ah 520CCA battery, but suggests an optional 70Ah 600CCA battery.

Any ideas at all? I'm really hoping it's a battery because an alternator will be pricy!

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 17:57   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Without doing a proper voltage test it is difficult to say whether battery or alternator.

Given that you have recently bought the car, presumably don't know the history of the battery other than it is not the correct one and that batteries are cheaper than an alternator, I would pop a new battery on and see how it goes. If it is not the battery at least you will have a known correct battery so not wasted.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 18:08   #3
PVSPete

I don't think the "wrong" battery would cause the faults you describe. Perhaps a failed battery might cause problems, but it sounds more like a charging / alternator problem.
PVSPete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PVSPete For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 20:31   #4
C70Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Without doing a proper voltage test it is difficult to say whether battery or alternator.

Given that you have recently bought the car, presumably don't know the history of the battery other than it is not the correct one and that batteries are cheaper than an alternator, I would pop a new battery on and see how it goes. If it is not the battery at least you will have a known correct battery so not wasted.
That confirms my initial thoughts, but I was hoping to save a few squid and only do what I had to
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 20:34   #5
C70Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVSPete View Post
I don't think the "wrong" battery would cause the faults you describe. Perhaps a failed battery might cause problems, but it sounds more like a charging / alternator problem.
Sadly I think you're probably right on this, but it looks like it's going to be a pricey fix.

I don't suppose you or anyone else can help with part numbers can you? I've searched online but there seems to be several that it could be and as it is my only car, I don't really want to have it out of action for a week, while I pull it out then wait for the replacement to arrive!
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 20:50   #6
BorderVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C70Noob View Post
The battery in the car is not the right one anyway, its a 54Ah with 530CCA, for a diesel engine, but according to what I can find it should have a 60Ah 520CCA battery, but suggests an optional 70Ah 600CCA battery.
Are you anticipating a 54amp drain or even 70amps for an hour ?!…….and will your starter use 530 amps when cranking......your battery will deliver more but it'll fail sooner than the 600cca type.

The issue is with the alternator.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 22:14   #7
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by C70Noob View Post
Only had this car for about a month and so far it's been fine (except for that rattle which got sorted), however, 3 days ago as I'm driving I notice the battery light on the dash would periodically go on for a second or two then off again for maybe 5-20 seconds.

Every time the battery light comes on the headlights dimmed and the a/c fan slowed, the battery light then goes off the headlights flash really bright, then fade for a few seconds then dim again when the dash battery light comes on again.

Any ideas at all? I'm really hoping it's a battery because an alternator will be pricy!

Thanks in advance
I had exactly the same symptoms on my V70 Tdi early last year. It had me scratching my head too because I didn't want to waste money on buying something that wasn't needed. In the end though the battery charge light stayed on, and checking with a multimeter at the battery there was no charge.

I panicked a bit at first because I was in France, and was going to be for several months. I need not have worried though, I checked on Ebay and found a brand new alternator in Germany for £72. It was delivered within two days Express delivery £16.84. Its the same rate for UK. This price was less than some being sold as used. If you need an alternator, maybe give them a try, they may be able to sort you one for your C70. The Ebay link is below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lichtmasc...TR=1#vi-ilComp

Dave..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdidave For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 22:25   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

First make sure that your battery connections are clean and tight. Battery should be secure and not prone to moving when being driven over bumps. Inspect positive lead for possible corrosion under the cable at the battery end. Check connection at starter motor. Check Body end of earth lead. Check battery with meter and note voltage. Anything under about 12.2v after car has stood for 24 hours means flat battery. With engine running check the alternator output with a meter. Should be about 14.6 to 14.8v at about 1500rpm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1q40V-BPQc

Teach Granny to sucks eggs? Maybe.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 01:14   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Unfortunately, we're once again close to starting a second page on a battery or alternator thread without knowing a single voltage figure from the problem car.

OP, help us all out.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 13:31   #10
C70Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Unfortunately, we're once again close to starting a second page on a battery or alternator thread without knowing a single voltage figure from the problem car.

OP, help us all out.....
Sorry I can't! I don't have a voltmeter thingy I was just after some thought from people that know more than me.

But after reading people responses I'm pretty sure the alternator is the issue, so I'm off to buy a replacement!