Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 or XC90 for medium size caravan?

Views : 2464

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 20:50   #1
VVTi

Default V70 or XC90 for medium size caravan?

Hi,

THE STOREY:
My family of 3 are looking to move over to caravanning from much loved tenting for a slightly easier life.
I’ve got a 185 D5 6sp which I haven’t really gelled with, but might just be with this specific car, but has served us well for load capacity and we don’t travel light.
The boot gets filed with a big canvas tent and the associated paraphernalia and we’ve got the biggest roof box sitting on top, all fully loaded (also partly stops the wife buying too much when we’re away )

We’ve just started looking at caravans and border lined on twin axle (like I said we don’t ravel light!). At the moment though we’re decided to stick with a large single axel (and to be honest should be plenty big enough) looking around the 24’ size having a laden weight of circa 1650kg.

THE SPECS
V70 D 163 bhp / 251 lb-ft ‘04-’07 Tow ball 75kg. Tow max 1800kg. Kerb Weight 1561kg / 85% 1327kg
V70 D5 185 bhp / 295 lb-ft ‘05-’07 Tow ball 75kg. Tow max 1800kg. Kerb Weight 1561kg / 85% 1327kg
XC90 D 163 bhp / 251 lb-ft ‘04-’05 Tow ball 90kg. Tow max 2250kg. Kerb Weight 2069kg / 85% 1759kg
CARAVAN 24’ MTPLM 1650kg.

I take my self as a competent aware driver and feel that I don’t necessarily need to stay within the recommendation of 85% guide, but do take note of experts, noting in an emergency you want everything in your favour.

THE QUESTION
Please could any towers give their advice and experiences towing this size of caravan with either V70 or XC90 for medium size caravan:

I like the Volvo brand and would like to stay with it, but as with most things there’s compromises

V70:
+ economical
+ cheaper to buy
+ cheaper to run
+ better suited as a car when not towing.
+ better to drive???
– low tow ball limit.
– lower tow weight limit.
Does the 163bhp have enough power?

Or

XC90:
+ better suited tow car
+ higher tow ball limit
+ high tow weight limit.
– dearer to buy
– dearer to run
– less suited as a car when not towing???
– worse to drive???
Does the 163bhp have enough power?

I haven’t really touched on the XC70 as they are a bit of a mixed bag:
Harder to source
Poor tower vs XC90
Expensive vs V70
(Kerb weight a bit up at 1715kg / 85% 1458kg)

I have also recently test drove a 175bhp 166 lb-ft petrol V70 and think it might not have enough grunt?

Your views would be much appreciated, thank you
XC90 D5 185 SE manual
VVTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 21:23   #2
Premier Member

If you want to stick with Volvo, there is only one course of action and that is to go for the XC90.
Regardless of the so-called towing limit, you should never exceed the kerbweight of the towcar with the weight of the caravan, there are significant safety issues with exceeding the limit, and it is also quite likely that your insurance company would not be too impressed.
The max towing limit that most manufacturers quote is a theoretical figure based on the ability of the car to re-start on a gradient and is not the maxumum weight of caravan or trailer that it is safe to tow.
As regards power, any one of the cars you mention would be ok; the Caravan Club quotes a minimum power / weight ratio of 40 bhp / tonne although obviously the greater the power the better.
I tow a 1450 kg caravan with a XC70 163 and have never felt that there is not enough power.

Advice on choosing a towcar here:http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1...-towcar-mo.pdf
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 21:27   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i have the v70 2004 d5 163 bhp towing up to 1700kg caravan, i have the MTE remap. prior to the remap the car did strugle slightly setting of but once going it was superb towing at 56 mph in cruise getting on average 33 mpg. with remap better response when starting off. the kerbweight figure for mine which was done on a weighbridge is 1763 kg.the xc90 for weight ratio is very good a bit slugish with a big van on
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Aug 23rd, 2011 at 21:55.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 09:01   #4
VVTi

Do all countries then suggest a figure than as stated by the manufacturers (that have spent thousands testing?)
I don’t believe manufacturers would be allowed to state these figures if it were not safe.

Not that I don’t take on board what you are saying, and i appreciate your comments, i just cant see that you must stay within what is only a recommendation??

Many thanks 60041
XC90 D5 185 SE manual
VVTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 09:43   #5
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i tend to find that the specs for all weights on the volvo's are not correct in particular to the kerbweight the only sure way to find out is to go on a weighbridge, a typical example is my 2004 D5 and also the phase 1 v70 that i had albeit that it was a T5.
i have copied this from another forum .

Hi to you all out there. I am sorry, NO I'M NOT. I keep hearing tales of my tow vehicle weighs this,that or the other or occasionally a new input of about.
No one ever states where their information comes from other than the occasional reference to the V5C. The V5C and other data sources are not reliable,indeed my V5C's do not quote any weights at all.
The only way to know your kerb-weight is to use a very reliable weighbridge. A Dynamic Axle Weighbridge is the most accurate and it will disclose more than just the weight of the vehicle and or outfit.
The VOSA spec' weigh-bridges are made installed and serviced in Runcorn,Cheshire. They have a bridge available for public use. I have used it for two cars and our 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco to establish an accurate MiRO.
I have set up both of the cars,a 1997 Volvo V70 T5 CD Auto,max' braked towing weight 1600kgs and a 2000 (W) Volvo V70 2.4T SE Geartronic max' braked towing weight 1800kgs as per the EU Directive 95/48/EC. The T5 weighs 1638kgs and the 2.4T weighs 1725kgs. Both are a long way from what is held on data bases,indeed the minimums and maximums given in the data bases that hold both sets of figures are little more than a joke and at worst are a potential hazard to accurate information.
The VOSA bridges are quoted as being the most accurate in the world,from the "Horses Mouth". I was told that they are accurate to 0.5%.
They are used for Law Enforcement Issues and therefore cannot be allowed to be refuted on accuracy.
I am very lucky,the company Axle Weight Technology Ltd, Picow Farm Road, Runcorn, Cheshire. WA 7 4UN is only 20miles from my home in UpHolland,West Lancashire. .

so as you can see from that post that the posted kerbweight figures may not be correct. and belive me the guy that posted that is a stickler for it being correct.
i am running in the 90% bracket and as the caravan is a twin axle and more stable i am very comfortable with that. i hope that you find what you are looking for and hope that you do enjoy caravaning i have for the past 36 years .
may i point you in this direction it may be of some help
http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Aug 24th, 2011 at 09:45.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 10:10   #6
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

this also makes interesting reading.
http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/topic/...owing-over-85/
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 11:28   #7
moncman

Hi VVTi,

I have an XC90 and swear by it so my view might be construed as biased. However a couple of observations:

I personally think 1650kgs is pretty hefty for a single axle van, certainly up around the maximum you will find before the twin axle models kick in. The problem with a single axle is the swinging moment you get around the axle (pivot point) this tends to be less the more nose weight you can muster and the weight of the car in relation to the van.

I would be very wary of towing a single axle over 100% of the kerbweight of the car. Conversly I would be less concerned if it were a twin.

The ability to pull up an incline from a standing start defines the max towed capacity but that is a generaliastion rather than a caravan specific. The reason I mention this is I would have no issues pulling a twin axle trailer with 2 tonnes of gravel in the back but would not feel as confident with a big caravan the size of a barn door, with its weight spread all round the place and subject to the aerodynamic pressures you feel if large vehicles pass or a sudden gust of wind hits.

Finally I think torque is much more important than power which is why IMHO a diesel engine is so much better. I used to have a motorbike with 120bhp but there's no way it would have pulled a caravan. Our XC90 has a modest 200hp but an impressive slug (400 or so lb ft IIRC) of torque.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 15:10   #8
Premier Member

Advice here:
http://www.gocaravanning.com/caravan...wing_guide.htm
pay particular notice of the 4th paragraph; car to caravan weight ratio
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 16:51   #9
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

as long as you do not exceed the total train weight how can you be prosecuted, and yes it DOES SAY COULD BE.
VOSA and the POLICE as far as i am aware will go whats on the vin plate of the vehicle and the plate on the caravan. i also note that after 1997 you have to take the B+E test if the combined weight is over 3500 kg.
it is not advisable to tow a trailer or van that weighs more that the car but you can.the tail wagging the dog
see post 61
http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/topic/...5/page__st__60
from the horses mouth
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Aug 24th, 2011 at 17:04.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 18:48   #10
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

sorry to the OP for going of topic.
mike