Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Tdi...legendary tow-car

Views : 1506

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2014, 17:35   #1
debcab06

Smile V70 Tdi...legendary tow-car

Just back from a trip to the lakes and yet another trouble free caravan towing job with my 1999 V70 estate. Its got the manual gearbox.
This car never ceases to amaze me with the ease at which it performs. Fuel consumption is minimal and after long trips I still feel as fresh as when we started. Our van is a Sterling 495 and loaded is 1360kg. We usually pack the car well and then theres the food; and not forgeting our old Greyhound.
debcab06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debcab06 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 16:02   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcab06 View Post
Just back from a trip to the lakes and yet another trouble free caravan towing job with my 1999 V70 estate. Its got the manual gearbox.
This car never ceases to amaze me with the ease at which it performs. Fuel consumption is minimal and after long trips I still feel as fresh as when we started. Our van is a Sterling 495 and loaded is 1360kg. We usually pack the car well and then theres the food; and not forgeting our old Greyhound.
Yep found mine excellent in all respect except the rear springs were soft so car dragged its arse when towing. Volvo still do a tow package for it, new springs, dampers and antiroll bar £680 plus vat plus fitting, I decided I was not willing to pay that on a 15 year old car and sold it on to a neighbour and baught an xc70.
Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2014, 00:33   #3
debcab06

I suppose I should mention that my car has the self levelling dampers fitted at the factory. So always runs at design level.
debcab06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to debcab06 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2014, 19:03   #4
CPH

I have to agree, it's a great towcar. I took my van to Woolacombe recently and I inadvertently upset a few people on the A361 - there are quite a few long uphill climbs on that road and other drivers' perceptions seem to be that an old V70 towing a caravan is going to run out of steam before the summit.

Not so!

Mine is the auto flavour which I love and overall I wouldn't change it but I think the manual flavour has taller gearing which might make it a bit more versatile for towing. However, when you're sat on the M5 in near enough stationary traffic the auto box is a godsend, as it is for many other scenarios, towing or solo. Selecting appropriate gears manually when necessary also allows the torque converter to lock up in most cases and keeps power delivery to maximum efficiency.

Having said all that everyone has their own preferences so it's not my intention to start off the "which transmission is best for towing" debate. Whatever works, works and I see the advantages and disadvantages in both.

If the rear end is a bit droopy then fitting Monroe Load Levellers and/or M.A.D progressive spring assisters is a cheaper alternative to Nivomats, I think. I have the Monroes and wouldn't tow without them. I can't comment on the M.A.D springs but they're built for this kind of application so would hope that they are good enough.
Old Sep 27th, 2014, 00:52   #5
BlackBeast
T5D5.ORG

Weve had the PFS heavy duty rear springs on the diseasel for a while, slightly raised rear ride height without towing, but perfect level whilst towing the horsebox. Not sure if they are the same as the ones mentioned above.
Old Oct 25th, 2014, 21:33   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

My 1999 V70 Auto is a great tow car, I have Nivomat though. I have to say watching how much the rear-end hits the deck before it self-levels makes me think Nivomats are the way to go. But that could be that this effect is more pronounced becasue of the lighter Nivomat springs. PO fitted mine, they are pricey. I've certainly seen no need to run to anything as homoerotic or 'Suburban Mum" as an XC70 but that's a matter of taste I suppose. My V70 tows great - I run a business pulling commercail trailers where drive to all four would be day-to-day useful rather than pretentious-useful, yet I've rarely had need for more.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Oct 25th, 2014 at 21:37.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote